|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does the herald thank the gods?
(a) He thanks them for having such a benevolent queen.
(b) He thanks them for speaking to him.
(c) He thanks them for blessing him and the army.
(d) He thanks them for sending him his wife.
2. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
3. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
(b) The homecoming.
(c) The blessings of the gods.
(d) Victory at war.
4. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
(b) She is a priestess of Athena.
(c) She is Helen's half sister.
(d) She is a Trojan princess.
5. What does Electra find when she wonders aloud if her brother has returned?
(a) A campfire.
(b) Pylades' pack.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
(d) Orestes and Pylades' footprints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
2. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
3. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
4. What did Apollo expect in return for the gift he granted to Cassandra?
5. What is Cassandra's reaction to Clytemnestra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict between the Furies and Apollo?
2. What news does Clytemnestra bring the chorus in the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
3. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
4. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
5. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
6. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
7. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
8. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
9. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
10. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)