|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Apollo's reaction to Cassandra not meeting his expectations when he granted her with a gift?
(a) He impregnated her, shaming her family.
(b) He took away her gift of prophecy.
(c) He turned the other gods against her.
(d) He cursed her to speak the truth but never to be believed.
2. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
(a) An apology.
(b) Electra giving herself over to the gods.
(c) Clytemnestra's resignation of the throne.
(d) A blood sacrifice.
3. What message does Clytemnestra send to Agamemnon through the herald?
(a) She wants to take him to Apollo's temple for blessings.
(b) She has been loyal and faithful.
(c) She is pregnant with his child.
(d) She does not wish to see him.
4. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
(a) It was because of a misunderstanding.
(b) It was the will of the gods.
(c) It was the will of two kings.
(d) It was over a woman.
5. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cassandra walk into the palace?
2. What future events does Cassandra foresee after she sees the past?
3. What does Clytemnestra assume about Cassandra?
4. What does part of the chorus suggest to Clytemnestra about her actions when they confront her?
5. Why does Agamemnon walk inside his palace the way he does?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
2. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
3. Why did Agamemnon go to Troy?
4. How does Clytemnestra describe her life to her husband during Agamemnon's absence?
5. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
6. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
7. What does Aegisthus claim about himself and about the murders?
8. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
9. What are the herald's thoughts on the effects of the war?
10. Why does Aegisthus threaten the chorus?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)