|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes wonder about the women approaching his father's tomb?
(a) He wonders if they are there to mourn his father or a new tragedy.
(b) He wonders if they are there to move his father's body to safety.
(c) He wonders if they are there to desecrate the tomb.
(d) He wonders if they are there to celebrate his father's life.
2. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
(a) She is not a holy woman.
(b) She is not faithful to her husband.
(c) She is an inexperienced queen.
(d) She is a woman.
3. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
(b) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
(c) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
(d) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
4. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) She wishes to live peacefully.
(b) She wishes to conquer the next city.
(c) She wishes to retire as queen.
(d) She wishes to have another child to take over for her.
5. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
2. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
3. What message does Clytemnestra send to Agamemnon through the herald?
4. What gift did Apollo give Cassandra before the events of The Oresteia?
5. What does the herald believe about Agamemnon's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
2. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
3. What are Agamemnon's feelings about Troy?
4. What is Clytemnestra's vision for the future after the death of Agamemnon?
5. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
6. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
7. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
8. What does Aegisthus claim about himself and about the murders?
9. What evidence does Electra find that convinces her Orestes has returned to Mycenae?
10. What dispute does Clytemnestra have with the chorus over the consequences of her murdering Agamemnon and Cassandra?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)