|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Paris's actual deed that set off the Trojan War?
(a) He dishonored Aphrodite.
(b) He murdered Menelaus.
(c) He rejected Apollo.
(d) He kidnapped Helen.
2. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
(a) He claims to have planned Agamemnon's death.
(b) He claims to have killed Agamemnon.
(c) He claims to have killed Cassandra.
(d) He claims to have bested Apollo in a competition.
3. In the first part of the first play, what signal is the man on the roof looking for?
(a) A ship.
(b) A moonbeam.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) An arrow.
4. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
5. According to the chorus, what was Paris's crime?
(a) Following the will of the gods.
(b) Following his heart.
(c) Breaking the laws of nature.
(d) Kidnapping Helen to break the peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
2. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
3. How does the chorus feel about Cassandra?
4. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
5. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Clytemnestra's vision for the future after the death of Agamemnon?
2. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
3. How does the chorus compare life to a ship at sea during "The Agamemnon"?
4. What is Electra supposed to do at her father's tomb?
5. For what does Clytemnestra take particular offense with the chorus in the last part of "The Agamemnon"?
6. What are the chorus's opinions on Paris and his actions in the second part of "The Agamemnon"?
7. What does Aegisthus claim about himself and about the murders?
8. To what does the chorus compare Troy and why?
9. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
10. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)