|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
(a) He was killed in battle.
(b) His men mutinied against him on the return home.
(c) He has returns home safely.
(d) His ship is lost after a storm.
2. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A footrace.
(b) A child's game.
(c) A sailing ship.
(d) A horse race.
3. What gift did Apollo give Cassandra before the events of The Oresteia?
(b) The ability of persuasion.
(c) The ability to speak in tongues.
4. What feelings suddenly strike the chorus after Agamemnon enters his palace?
(a) They have feelings of hysteria.
(b) They have feelings of foreboding.
(c) They have feelings of sickness.
(d) They have feelings of joy.
5. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
(a) Clytemnestra did all the work in murdering Agamemnon.
(b) He was not fit to be a soldier.
(c) He is not of royal blood.
(d) He is half the man that Agamemnon was.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
2. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
3. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
4. How does Electra know the offering on the tomb came from Orestes?
5. What interrupts the chorus's meditations on life at the end of the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
2. How does the chorus compare life to a ship at sea during "The Agamemnon"?
3. What news does Clytemnestra bring the chorus in the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
4. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. Why did Agamemnon go to Troy?
6. After receiving false news in the third part of the second play, what is Clytemnestra's reaction to news of Orestes' supposed death?
7. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
8. How does Cassandra describe Apollo and why?
9. For what does Clytemnestra take particular offense with the chorus in the last part of "The Agamemnon"?
10. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)