|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the herald so joyful?
(a) He is gotten married.
(b) The gods have spoken to him.
(c) He is home in Mycenae.
(d) Clytemnestra favors him.
2. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
3. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
(a) His thoughts of his children.
(c) His thoughts of his wife.
(d) His thoughts of his home.
4. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
(a) The return of her family.
(b) Her own freedom.
(c) Her mother's salvation.
(d) The death of her father's murderers.
5. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is a Trojan princess.
(b) She is a priestess of Athena.
(c) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
(d) She is Helen's half sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
2. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
3. What does Orestes leave behind at his father's tomb in tribute ?
4. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
5. Why does the herald believe what he claims about Agamemnon's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
2. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
3. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
4. What does Aegisthus claim about himself and about the murders?
5. What are the disputes amongst the chorus when they hear Agamemnon screaming from inside the palace?
6. What are the chorus's opinions on Paris and his actions in the second part of "The Agamemnon"?
7. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
8. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
9. What do the chorus of women comment upon while bewailing their grief over Agamemnon?
10. What is the dispute Agamemnon and Clytemnestra have about his homecoming?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)