|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
(a) He did not wish to leave his family.
(b) A prophecy.
(c) He did not feel he had probable cause to go to Troy.
(d) No wind.
2. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A footrace.
(b) A sailing ship.
(c) A child's game.
(d) A horse race.
3. What did Apollo expect in return for the gift he granted to Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra was to build a shrine to him.
(b) Cassandra was to give herself to him.
(c) Cassandra was to renounce all other gods.
(d) Cassandra was to honor him publicly.
4. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
5. About whom does the chorus ask the herald for news?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women describe Clytemnestra in their first appearance in "The Libation Bearers"?
2. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
3. What does Electra find on her father's tomb?
4. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
5. What is Clytemnestra's plan for ruling Mycenae at the end of the Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What feelings does the Watchman have while on the roof in the beginning of the play?
2. According to the chorus, how must Electra pray?
3. Why does the chorus call out for Orestes to return home at the end of the first play?
4. What message does Clytemnestra send with the herald to Agamemnon?
5. What are the chorus's opinions on Paris and his actions in the second part of "The Agamemnon"?
6. What is Clytemnestra's vision for the future after the death of Agamemnon?
7. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
8. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
9. What is the Watchman's duty at the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
10. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)