|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
(a) It was over a woman.
(b) It was because of a misunderstanding.
(c) It was the will of two kings.
(d) It was the will of the gods.
2. How do the women describe Clytemnestra in their first appearance in "The Libation Bearers"?
3. In the first play, how is the chorus described in the narration?
(a) A group of young men.
(b) A group of old men.
(c) A group of holy men.
(d) A group of young women.
4. Whom does Agamemnon tell Clytemnestra to greet and treat well?
5. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
(b) Victory at war.
(c) The blessings of the gods.
(d) The homecoming.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
2. What do the female attendants lay on the ground for Agamemnon to walk upon?
3. What woman is accompanying Agamemnon on his return to Mycenae?
4. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
5. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the chorus's opinions on Paris and his actions in the second part of "The Agamemnon"?
2. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
3. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
4. What does Orestes mean when he cries out to Zeus in the second part of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. What does Orestes find mysterious about the women approaching Agamemnon's tomb?
6. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
7. Why do the Furies claim Orestes' journey to Athens has been useless when they catch up with him in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
8. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
9. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
10. What do the chorus of women comment upon while bewailing their grief over Agamemnon?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)