|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
(a) She argues that the Furies will not hurt her.
(b) She argues that she ended the curse.
(c) She argues that she cannot be cursed again.
(d) She argues that there never was a curse.
2. What does Orestes pray for at the beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Peace of mind.
(b) His success in war.
(c) Success in his plan of revenge for his father's murder.
(d) Safe voyage overseas.
3. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) She wishes to retire as queen.
(b) She wishes to live peacefully.
(c) She wishes to conquer the next city.
(d) She wishes to have another child to take over for her.
4. What does Clytemnestra remind the chorus to do after Aegisthus's outburst?
(a) Make offerings for Agamemnon's soul.
(b) Never tell anyone what they witnessed.
(c) Pray to the gods.
(d) Keep to their place.
5. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
(a) Her royal jewelry.
(b) The crest of her family.
(c) The chains Agamemnon put around her.
(d) Her long hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
2. In the first part of the first play, what signal is the man on the roof looking for?
3. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
4. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
5. To whom does Orestes pray while at his father's tomb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes find mysterious about the women approaching Agamemnon's tomb?
2. How does the chorus compare life to a ship at sea during "The Agamemnon"?
3. What is the dispute Agamemnon and Clytemnestra have about his homecoming?
4. What are the herald's thoughts on the effects of the war?
5. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
6. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
7. What is Electra supposed to do at her father's tomb?
8. For what does Clytemnestra take particular offense with the chorus in the last part of "The Agamemnon"?
9. How does Cassandra describe Apollo and why?
10. According to the chorus, how must Electra pray?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)