|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Agamemnon tell Clytemnestra to greet and treat well?
2. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
(a) Agamemnon has died.
(b) Troy has defeated the Greeks.
(c) Troy has been defeated.
(d) Menelaus will be taking over Mycenae.
3. Why does the herald believe what he claims about Agamemnon's brother?
(a) He does not believe Zeus is ready to take him yet.
(b) Menelaus angered the gods by burning Troy.
(c) Menelaus is too good of a sailor to get lost.
(d) Helen loves Menelaus too much to harm him.
4. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
(c) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
(d) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
5. In which city does "The Oresteia" begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
2. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
3. Why does Cassandra walk into the palace?
4. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
5. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
2. What dispute does Clytemnestra have with the chorus over the consequences of her murdering Agamemnon and Cassandra?
3. What does Orestes find mysterious about the women approaching Agamemnon's tomb?
4. For what is the herald giving thanks during his entrance?
5. What are Agamemnon's feelings about Troy?
6. What is Cassandra's curse and why was it placed on her?
7. How does Clytemnestra describe her life to her husband during Agamemnon's absence?
8. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
9. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
10. What is the dispute Agamemnon and Clytemnestra have about his homecoming?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)