|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
(a) An apology.
(b) A blood sacrifice.
(c) Electra giving herself over to the gods.
(d) Clytemnestra's resignation of the throne.
2. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
(a) The Watchman.
(d) The leader of the chorus.
3. For what does the herald thank the gods?
(a) He thanks them for having such a benevolent queen.
(b) He thanks them for sending him his wife.
(c) He thanks them for speaking to him.
(d) He thanks them for blessing him and the army.
4. What woman is accompanying Agamemnon on his return to Mycenae?
5. What does somber information does the chorus remind the herald of?
(a) People in Mycenae have been grieving for their loved ones at war.
(b) There are no princes and princesses left in the city.
(c) Clytemnestra has been unfaithful to her husband.
(d) Agamemnon does not wish to come home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
2. What does Electra find on her father's tomb?
3. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
4. For what does Aegisthus thank the gods in the fifth part of the first play?
5. About whom does the chorus ask the herald for news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the chorus's opinions on Paris and his actions in the second part of "The Agamemnon"?
2. Why does Aegisthus threaten the chorus?
3. For what is the herald giving thanks during his entrance?
4. How does Cassandra describe Apollo and why?
5. What are Agamemnon's feelings about Troy?
6. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
7. Why does the chorus call out for Orestes to return home at the end of the first play?
8. For what is Agamemnon praised and what is his response when he returns to Mycenae?
9. How does the chorus compare life to a ship at sea during "The Agamemnon"?
10. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)