|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the chorus compare Troy after the herald exits?
(a) A wise king with a terrible advisor.
(b) A new baby.
(c) An old man.
(d) A beloved, though ungrateful child.
2. In the first part of the first play, what does the chorus say of Agamemnon's fate?
(a) His fate is open.
(b) His fate will be to live a long life.
(c) The chorus says nothing about his fate.
(d) His is preordained.
3. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
(a) The offerings come from Electra as an angry daughter.
(b) The offerings come from Clytemnestra as a loving wife .
(c) The offerings come from a detached subject.
(d) The offerings come from a loyal follower.
4. What is Clytemnestra's plan for ruling Mycenae at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) Aegisthus will rule it.
(b) Orestes will return and rule it with her.
(c) She will rule it alone.
(d) She and Aegisthus will rule it together.
5. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(a) Offerings to the gods.
(b) Blasphemous offerings.
(c) Maidens to pray.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does part of the chorus suggest to Clytemnestra about her actions when they confront her?
2. According to Clytemnestra, what did she watch for while Agamemnon was gone?
3. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
4. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
5. What is Cassandra's last vision in "The Agamemnon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
2. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
3. How does Clytemnestra describe her life to her husband during Agamemnon's absence?
4. What is significant about Agamemnon walking into his palace barefoot?
5. What evidence does Electra find that convinces her Orestes has returned to Mycenae?
6. Why does Aegisthus threaten the chorus?
7. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
8. What are the herald's thoughts on the effects of the war?
9. For what does Clytemnestra take particular offense with the chorus in the last part of "The Agamemnon"?
10. What is Clytemnestra's vision for the future after the death of Agamemnon?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)