|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is Helen's half sister.
(b) She is a priestess of Athena.
(c) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
(d) She is a Trojan princess.
2. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(b) As well as she could.
(c) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(d) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
3. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
(a) Agamemnon has died.
(b) Agamemnon is coming home from the Trojan War.
(c) Menelaus is coming home from the Trojan War.
(d) King Priam is invading.
4. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(a) Offerings to the gods.
(c) Blasphemous offerings.
(d) Maidens to pray.
5. According to the chorus, what was Paris's crime?
(a) Following his heart.
(b) Breaking the laws of nature.
(c) Kidnapping Helen to break the peace.
(d) Following the will of the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
2. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
3. According to Clytemnestra, where are the signals that the man on the roof was watching for?
4. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
5. What past events does Cassandra see in a vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aegisthus claim about himself and about the murders?
2. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
3. What does Orestes find mysterious about the women approaching Agamemnon's tomb?
4. What is the Watchman's duty at the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
5. What is significant about Agamemnon walking into his palace barefoot?
6. How does the chorus compare life to a ship at sea during "The Agamemnon"?
7. To what does the chorus compare Troy and why?
8. What dispute does Clytemnestra have with the chorus over the consequences of her murdering Agamemnon and Cassandra?
9. Why did Agamemnon go to Troy?
10. What is the dispute Agamemnon and Clytemnestra have about his homecoming?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)