|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
(a) She argues that the Furies will not hurt her.
(b) She argues that she cannot be cursed again.
(c) She argues that there never was a curse.
(d) She argues that she ended the curse.
2. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(d) The Watchman.
3. What was Apollo's reaction to Cassandra not meeting his expectations when he granted her with a gift?
(a) He cursed her to speak the truth but never to be believed.
(b) He took away her gift of prophecy.
(c) He turned the other gods against her.
(d) He impregnated her, shaming her family.
4. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
(a) An oracle.
5. What does somber information does the chorus remind the herald of?
(a) Agamemnon does not wish to come home.
(b) People in Mycenae have been grieving for their loved ones at war.
(c) There are no princes and princesses left in the city.
(d) Clytemnestra has been unfaithful to her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Clytemnestra send into exile?
2. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
3. What does Clytemnestra try to get Cassandra to do in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
4. Why does the herald believe what he claims about Agamemnon's brother?
5. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict between the Furies and Apollo?
2. What does Athena decide to do about judging the case between Orestes and the Furies?
3. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
4. What does Orestes mean when he cries out to Zeus in the second part of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
6. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
7. What is Electra supposed to do at her father's tomb?
8. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
9. After he is freed at the end of "The Oresteia", what does Orestes claim to want for the future?
10. How do Orestes and Pylades get inside the palace?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)