|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
(a) King Priam is invading.
(b) Agamemnon has died.
(c) Menelaus is coming home from the Trojan War.
(d) Agamemnon is coming home from the Trojan War.
2. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
(c) An oracle.
3. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
(b) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(c) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(d) As well as she could.
4. What does the herald believe about Agamemnon's brother?
(a) He is still alive.
(b) He perished at sea.
(c) He is wandering the earth for all eternity.
(d) His soul is restless.
5. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
(a) She is not a holy woman.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is not faithful to her husband.
(d) She is an inexperienced queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does the chorus ask the herald for news?
2. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
3. What does Orestes pray for at the beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
4. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
5. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cassandra's curse and why was it placed on her?
2. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
3. For what does Clytemnestra take particular offense with the chorus in the last part of "The Agamemnon"?
4. Why did Agamemnon go to Troy?
5. What dispute does Clytemnestra have with the chorus over the consequences of her murdering Agamemnon and Cassandra?
6. What do the chorus of women comment upon while bewailing their grief over Agamemnon?
7. What news does Clytemnestra bring the chorus in the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
8. What is significant about Agamemnon walking into his palace barefoot?
9. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
10. What is Clytemnestra's vision for the future after the death of Agamemnon?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)