|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
(a) Agamemnon is coming home from the Trojan War.
(b) Menelaus is coming home from the Trojan War.
(c) Agamemnon has died.
(d) King Priam is invading.
2. In the first part of the first play, what signal is the man on the roof looking for?
(a) A ship.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A moonbeam.
3. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(b) Maidens to pray.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
(d) Blasphemous offerings.
4. How does Agamemnon make his entrance?
(a) On foot.
(b) On horse back.
(c) In a chariot.
(d) In a horse-cart.
5. How does the chorus feel about Cassandra?
(a) They are in awe of her.
(b) They are dismissive of her.
(c) They sympathize with her.
(d) They are repulsed by her.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
2. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
3. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
4. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
5. To whom does Orestes pray while at his father's tomb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the continuing theme among the chorus as to what happened to Troy and why?
2. What are Agamemnon's feelings about Troy?
3. What dispute does Clytemnestra have with the chorus over the consequences of her murdering Agamemnon and Cassandra?
4. For what does Clytemnestra take particular offense with the chorus in the last part of "The Agamemnon"?
5. How does the chorus compare life to a ship at sea during "The Agamemnon"?
6. Why does Aegisthus threaten the chorus?
7. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
8. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
9. What news does Clytemnestra bring the chorus in the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
10. What is the Watchman's duty at the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)