|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the herald believe what he claims about Agamemnon's brother?
(a) Menelaus is too good of a sailor to get lost.
(b) Menelaus angered the gods by burning Troy.
(c) He does not believe Zeus is ready to take him yet.
(d) Helen loves Menelaus too much to harm him.
2. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
(a) She argues that she cannot be cursed again.
(b) She argues that there never was a curse.
(c) She argues that she ended the curse.
(d) She argues that the Furies will not hurt her.
3. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
(a) Her mother's forgiveness.
(b) Her brother's return.
(c) Menelaus's vengeance on Cltemnestra.
(d) The death of Aegisthus.
4. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
(b) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
(c) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
(d) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
5. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
(a) Menelaus is coming home from the Trojan War.
(b) Agamemnon is coming home from the Trojan War.
(c) Agamemnon has died.
(d) King Priam is invading.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does the chorus ask the herald for news?
2. How does the chorus feel about Cassandra?
3. What does the herald ask of the gods?
4. What feelings suddenly strike the chorus after Agamemnon enters his palace?
5. Whom did Clytemnestra send into exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes find mysterious about the women approaching Agamemnon's tomb?
2. What is the Watchman's duty at the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
3. How does Cassandra describe Apollo and why?
4. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
5. What evidence does Electra find that convinces her Orestes has returned to Mycenae?
6. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
7. Why is Orestes praying to Hermes and Zeus at beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
8. What is significant about Agamemnon walking into his palace barefoot?
9. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
10. What is Electra supposed to do at her father's tomb?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)