|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
(a) Allow Agamemnon to be buried without any offerings made to the gods.
(b) Allow her son to return.
(c) Allow Aegisthus to rule Mycenae.
(d) Allow her to retire.
2. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
3. After receiving news of the fall of Troy, which Trojan does the chorus agree got what he deserved?
4. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
(a) Agamemnon's disregard for others.
(b) The actions of Agamemnon and his father.
(c) Clytemnestra's vengeance.
(d) The will of the gods.
5. What does Clytemnestra assume about Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra is not very smart.
(b) Cassandra does not understand what is being said.
(c) Cassandra is being belligerent.
(d) Cassandra is deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
2. For what does the herald thank the gods?
3. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
4. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
5. What was Paris's actual deed that set off the Trojan War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the herald's thoughts on the effects of the war?
2. What is the dispute Agamemnon and Clytemnestra have about his homecoming?
3. What evidence does Electra find that convinces her Orestes has returned to Mycenae?
4. Why does the chorus call out for Orestes to return home at the end of the first play?
5. What does Aegisthus claim about himself and about the murders?
6. How did Agamemnon make the winds blow so that they might sail to Troy before the events of the play?
7. What does Orestes find mysterious about the women approaching Agamemnon's tomb?
8. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
9. How does Clytemnestra describe her life to her husband during Agamemnon's absence?
10. According to the chorus, how must Electra pray?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)