|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena cursed Atreus.
(b) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
(c) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(d) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
2. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
(b) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(c) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(d) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
3. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
4. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(a) The blessings of the gods.
(c) The sins of the the mother.
5. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
(a) Iphigenia was wrongly murdered.
(b) She was an adulteress.
(c) She killed her husband.
(d) She would have murdered her own children had she not been killed.
6. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
7. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
(a) They ask for forgiveness.
(b) They ask for strength and guidance.
(c) They ask for release.
(d) They ask for safe passage to the castle.
8. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(b) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(c) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
(d) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
9. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
(a) They wonder if Orestes was truly ordered by the gods to avenge Agamemnon.
(b) They wonder who will take the throne in Mycenae.
(c) They wonder if Electra will follow her brother.
(d) They wonder if the family will ever break their curse.
10. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
(a) Cilissa must convince Aegisthus to cleanse himself.
(b) Cilissa must bring Aegisthus alone.
(c) Cilissa must cut Aegisthus's throat.
(d) Cilissa must push Aegisthus into the bay.
11. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
(a) Hunting wild animals.
(b) Running in the fields.
(c) Avenging their souls on their murderers.
(d) Destroying Orestes.
12. According to Apollo in the first part of the third play, where must Orestes travel?
13. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
(a) She is distraught.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is relieved.
14. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
(a) He does not know whether he should kill his sister.
(b) He does not know if Zeus is truly watching.
(c) He does not know whether he should kill his mother or spare her.
(d) He does not know if he should kill himself after his revenge.
15. About whom was the oracle's vision?
(b) Orestes and the Furies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
2. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
3. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
4. Who is the oracle?
5. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)