|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
2. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
(a) She reminds Orestes that she is his mother.
(b) She tells Orestes she was ordered by Zeus to kill Agamemnon.
(c) She reminds him that Electra will be motherless.
(d) She tells him Iphigenia pleaded for her life before being sacrificed.
3. About whom was the oracle's vision?
(c) Orestes and the Furies.
4. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
(a) The oracle at Delphi.
5. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
(b) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(c) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
(d) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
6. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
(a) They demand to know whether he loved his mother or not.
(b) They demand to know why he was exiled for so many years.
(c) They demand he explain what he did and why.
(d) They demand to know how he keeps getting favored by the gods.
7. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) He bears letters from her.
(b) He looks like their father.
(c) He is wearing the robe she made for him.
(d) He has the marks from their mother's abuse on him.
8. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(b) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(c) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
(d) Athena cursed Atreus.
9. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
(a) The crown.
(b) The cloth that Agamemnon was trapped in before he was murdered.
(c) His mother's bloody robes.
(d) Aegisthus's bloody robes.
10. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
11. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
12. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
(a) The vote is divided evenly.
(b) The vote is in favor of Orestes.
(c) The judges did not vote as they wished to avoid the wrath of the Furies and of the gods.
(d) The vote is in favor of the Furies.
13. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
(a) He wonders if Aegisthus was truly guilty.
(b) He wonders if Aegisthus suffered during his death.
(c) He wonders if Aegisthus is receiving an adulterer's punishment.
(d) He wonders if Aegisthus was repenting his sins in the last moments of his life.
14. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
(a) Electra has run away.
(b) Orestes is returning.
(c) Electra is dead.
(d) Orestes is dead.
15. For whom do the disguised Orestes and Pylades cry out while outside the palace?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
2. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
3. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
4. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
5. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)