|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(b) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(c) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
(d) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
2. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
3. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
(a) She killed her husband.
(b) She was an adulteress.
(c) She would have murdered her own children had she not been killed.
(d) Iphigenia was wrongly murdered.
4. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(b) The sins of the the mother.
(c) The blessings of the gods.
5. How does Orestes introduce himself to Athena?
(a) He tells her he is Agamemnon's son.
(b) He tells her he is Clytemnestra's son.
(c) He tells her he is Atreus's grandson.
(d) He tells her he is Electra's brother.
6. About whom was the oracle's vision?
(c) Orestes and the Furies.
7. From where has Athena flown when she makes her entrance?
8. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
(b) He is there to testify against Orestes.
(c) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
(d) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
9. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Agamemnon's spirit asks the Furies to pursue him in Orestes' place.
(b) Clytemnestra's spirit pleads for her son's freedom.
(c) Athena's vote for Orestes breaks the tie in the Areopagus.
(d) The Areopagus votes for Orestes.
10. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) His love for her.
(b) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(c) The gods' will.
(d) Her sins.
11. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) He has the marks from their mother's abuse on him.
(b) He is wearing the robe she made for him.
(c) He bears letters from her.
(d) He looks like their father.
12. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is distraught.
13. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The freedom of Clytemnestra's soul.
(b) The imminent death of Orestes.
(c) Their immortality, power, and divine right.
(d) The vengeance of all women.
14. For whom do the disguised Orestes and Pylades cry out while outside the palace?
15. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
(a) It prophesizes the murder of Clytemnestra by Aegisthus.
(b) It prophesizes his revenge against his mother.
(c) It prophesizes his failure in his revenge.
(d) It prophesizes the death of Electra
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
2. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
3. What does Pylades advise Orestes to do?
4. What does Aegisthus claim after his entrance in "The Libation Bearers"?
5. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)