Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
(b) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
(c) He is there to testify against Orestes.
(d) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
2. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Electra's body.
(b) Cilissa's body.
(c) Aegisthus's body.
(d) His father's armor.
3. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Their immortality, power, and divine right.
(b) The freedom of Clytemnestra's soul.
(c) The vengeance of all women.
(d) The imminent death of Orestes.
4. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena cursed Atreus.
(b) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(c) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
(d) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
5. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(c) The leader of the chorus.
6. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
(b) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
(c) He will live anonymously and wisely.
(d) He will restore the glory of their name.
7. What does Orestes firmly reinforce while protesting his innocence to the council?
(a) He was acting on his own will.
(b) He was acting on Zeus's will.
(c) He was acting on his father's will.
(d) He was acting on Apollo's will.
8. What would happen to Orestes if he did not take revenge upon his mother, according the oracle?
(a) Orestes' own life would be cursed.
(b) Aegisthus would murder Clytemnestra.
(c) Electra would die.
(d) Agamemnon would suffer in Hades.
9. What does Apollo claim about mothers and fathers in the last part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The mother and father are always equal, except in the case of Clytemnestra.
(b) The mother is much more important than the father.
(c) The father is much more important than the mother.
(d) The mother and father are equal.
10. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is distraught.
11. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
12. What do the Furies tell Apollo about their hunt for Orestes?
(a) It is their right to avenge the death of Iphigenia upon anyone connected.
(b) It is their right to punish those who murder their mothers.
(c) It is their right to hunt someone who has left his sister an orphan.
(d) It is their right to hunt whom they please.
13. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
14. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
(a) Electra would have killed Clytemnestra and Orestes saved her from it.
(b) Clytemnestra deserved to die.
(c) Apollo himself sent Orestes to kill his mother.
(d) Orestes was meant to kill his mother a long time ago.
15. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is coming true for Clytemnestra in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
2. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
3. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
4. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
5. What does Orestes see when he cries out in terror after he has avenged his father's murder?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)