|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
2. What does Athena name the judges who will vote on whether Orestes is guilty or not in the last part of the third play?
(a) The oracles.
(b) The Colopagus.
(c) The Areopagus.
(d) The Eumidagos.
3. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
(a) He does not know if Zeus is truly watching.
(b) He does not know if he should kill himself after his revenge.
(c) He does not know whether he should kill his sister.
(d) He does not know whether he should kill his mother or spare her.
4. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
(a) They pray that the entire royal family will perish.
(b) They pray that Orestes will die in his revenge attempt.
(c) They pray that Orestes will have his revenge successfully.
(d) They pray that Zeus will stop the plot.
5. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
(a) They demand to know how he keeps getting favored by the gods.
(b) They demand he explain what he did and why.
(c) They demand to know why he was exiled for so many years.
(d) They demand to know whether he loved his mother or not.
6. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) The gods' will.
(b) His love for her.
(c) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(d) Her sins.
7. What does Orestes believe about the vision he is having at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Aegisthus will try to avenge his death upon Electra.
(b) His mother will haunt him for all his days.
(c) His father is cursing his son's actions.
(d) The Furies are going to take revenge upon him for his mother.
8. What does Pylades advise Orestes to do?
(a) Orestes will be murdered by Clytemnestra if he does not kill her first.
(b) The oracle said Orestes must kill his mother.
(c) Electra will be cursed if Orestes does not follow through with his revenge.
(d) Orestes will be looked upon as weak if he does not kill Clytemnestra.
9. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
(a) Cilissa must bring Aegisthus alone.
(b) Cilissa must push Aegisthus into the bay.
(c) Cilissa must cut Aegisthus's throat.
(d) Cilissa must convince Aegisthus to cleanse himself.
10. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) She supports the Furies.
(b) She supports Orestes.
(c) She withdraws any and all support for both sides.
(d) She will punish the guilty party herself.
11. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
12. What do the Furies claim about Orestes to Athena?
(a) He is cursed by his mother.
(b) He will kill all women if allowed to live.
(c) He will taint his sister's grace if allowed to live.
(d) He is unfit to speak for himself.
13. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
14. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
15. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
(a) The Furies wish for Athena to join them.
(b) The Furies want to overthrow Zeus, but Athena will not allow them.
(c) The Furies believe Athena is unfavorably judging them.
(d) They argue about whether the old gods or young gods are more relevant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
2. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
3. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
4. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
5. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)