|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
(a) They demand to know why he was exiled for so many years.
(b) They demand he explain what he did and why.
(c) They demand to know whether he loved his mother or not.
(d) They demand to know how he keeps getting favored by the gods.
2. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(b) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
(c) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(d) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
3. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Clytemnestra's spirit pleads for her son's freedom.
(b) The Areopagus votes for Orestes.
(c) Athena's vote for Orestes breaks the tie in the Areopagus.
(d) Agamemnon's spirit asks the Furies to pursue him in Orestes' place.
4. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
(b) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
(c) He is there to testify against Orestes.
(d) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
5. From where has Athena flown when she makes her entrance?
6. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
(a) She tells Orestes she was ordered by Zeus to kill Agamemnon.
(b) She reminds Orestes that she is his mother.
(c) She tells him Iphigenia pleaded for her life before being sacrificed.
(d) She reminds him that Electra will be motherless.
7. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
8. What does Clytemnestra call out for when she hears the noise from inside the palace in the third part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) A sword.
(b) An axe.
(c) Zeus's intervention.
(d) The Furies.
9. What does Athena name the judges who will vote on whether Orestes is guilty or not in the last part of the third play?
(a) The oracles.
(b) The Eumidagos.
(c) The Areopagus.
(d) The Colopagus.
10. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
(b) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
(c) He does not know why she cares.
(d) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
11. What does Athena decide about the case presented to her by Orestes and the Furies?
(a) It is not part of her divine right to judge this case.
(b) She sides with Orestes, but refuses to grant him sanctuary.
(c) She sides with the Furies.
(d) She sides with Orestes.
12. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
(a) Cilissa must convince Aegisthus to cleanse himself.
(b) Cilissa must bring Aegisthus alone.
(c) Cilissa must push Aegisthus into the bay.
(d) Cilissa must cut Aegisthus's throat.
13. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
(a) She killed her husband.
(b) She was an adulteress.
(c) Iphigenia was wrongly murdered.
(d) She would have murdered her own children had she not been killed.
14. What does Orestes see when he cries out in terror after he has avenged his father's murder?
(a) Erinyes or Furies.
15. Why does Clytemnestra grieve after the false news of her son's death?
(a) Orestes is the only hope of breaking the family curse.
(b) She regrets banishing him..
(c) She regrets her treatment of Electra.
(d) Orestes was the only child she loved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
2. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
3. What must Aegisthus bring with him to the palace?
4. What is coming true for Clytemnestra in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)