|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes believe about the vision he is having at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) The Furies are going to take revenge upon him for his mother.
(b) Aegisthus will try to avenge his death upon Electra.
(c) His mother will haunt him for all his days.
(d) His father is cursing his son's actions.
2. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will live anonymously and wisely.
(b) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
(c) He will restore the glory of their name.
(d) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
3. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Clytemnestra's spirit pleads for her son's freedom.
(b) Athena's vote for Orestes breaks the tie in the Areopagus.
(c) Agamemnon's spirit asks the Furies to pursue him in Orestes' place.
(d) The Areopagus votes for Orestes.
4. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(a) The sins of the the mother.
(c) The blessings of the gods.
5. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
6. What do the Furies tell Apollo about their hunt for Orestes?
(a) It is their right to avenge the death of Iphigenia upon anyone connected.
(b) It is their right to hunt someone who has left his sister an orphan.
(c) It is their right to hunt whom they please.
(d) It is their right to punish those who murder their mothers.
7. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
(c) The oracle at Delphi.
8. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
9. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
(a) She is distraught.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is happy.
10. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
(a) She reminds Orestes that she is his mother.
(b) She reminds him that Electra will be motherless.
(c) She tells him Iphigenia pleaded for her life before being sacrificed.
(d) She tells Orestes she was ordered by Zeus to kill Agamemnon.
11. Who is the oracle?
(a) A priestess of Hera.
(b) Orestes' sister.
(c) A priest who speaks to the gods.
(d) A woman who prophesizes from the gods.
12. What does Athena decide about the case presented to her by Orestes and the Furies?
(a) She sides with the Furies.
(b) She sides with Orestes, but refuses to grant him sanctuary.
(c) It is not part of her divine right to judge this case.
(d) She sides with Orestes.
13. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
(b) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
(c) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(d) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
14. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) His father's armor.
(b) Electra's body.
(c) Aegisthus's body.
(d) Cilissa's body.
15. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo claim about mothers and fathers in the last part of "The Eumenides"?
2. What has Electra been forced to do in the years since her father's death?
3. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
4. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
5. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)