|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will be the first action taken when Orestes and Pylades infiltrate the palace?
(a) Electra will be guided to safety.
(b) Aegisthus will be killed.
(c) Cilissa will be alerted.
(d) Clytemnestra will be killed.
2. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
(a) The oracle at Delphi.
3. How does Orestes introduce himself to Athena?
(a) He tells her he is Atreus's grandson.
(b) He tells her he is Electra's brother.
(c) He tells her he is Clytemnestra's son.
(d) He tells her he is Agamemnon's son.
4. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
(a) He does not know if he should kill himself after his revenge.
(b) He does not know whether he should kill his mother or spare her.
(c) He does not know whether he should kill his sister.
(d) He does not know if Zeus is truly watching.
5. What does Clytemnestra call out for when she hears the noise from inside the palace in the third part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Zeus's intervention.
(b) An axe.
(c) The Furies.
(d) A sword.
6. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
(b) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(c) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(d) Athena cursed Atreus.
7. What does Orestes believe about the vision he is having at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Aegisthus will try to avenge his death upon Electra.
(b) His father is cursing his son's actions.
(c) His mother will haunt him for all his days.
(d) The Furies are going to take revenge upon him for his mother.
8. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) She will punish the guilty party herself.
(b) She supports the Furies.
(c) She withdraws any and all support for both sides.
(d) She supports Orestes.
9. What has Electra been forced to do in the years since her father's death?
(a) Disown her brother.
(b) Disown her father.
(c) Mourn him in secret.
(d) Treat Aegisthus as her father.
10. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
11. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
(b) The elder gods.
(c) The younger gods.
(d) The Ancients.
12. What must Aegisthus bring with him to the palace?
(a) Agamemnon's body.
(b) Orestes' sword.
(c) A regiment of soldiers.
(d) Offerings to the gods.
13. What does Apollo tell the court about his decree to Orestes?
(a) He was not acting upon any other's will but his own.
(b) He cursed Clytemnestra and was passing on judgment.
(c) He was passing on Zeus's judgment about justice.
(d) He favored Agamemnon and was avenging his death.
14. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
(a) The vote is divided evenly.
(b) The vote is in favor of the Furies.
(c) The vote is in favor of Orestes.
(d) The judges did not vote as they wished to avoid the wrath of the Furies and of the gods.
15. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The goat ran away.
(b) The lion mauled her.
(c) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(d) The snake bit her and drew blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Furies complain about when Athena leaves in the second part of the third play?
2. From where has Athena flown when she makes her entrance?
3. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
4. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
5. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)