|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Agamemnon's spirit asks the Furies to pursue him in Orestes' place.
(b) The Areopagus votes for Orestes.
(c) Athena's vote for Orestes breaks the tie in the Areopagus.
(d) Clytemnestra's spirit pleads for her son's freedom.
2. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
(a) He does not know if he should kill himself after his revenge.
(b) He does not know whether he should kill his sister.
(c) He does not know whether he should kill his mother or spare her.
(d) He does not know if Zeus is truly watching.
3. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(b) The leader of the chorus.
4. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
(a) He wonders if Aegisthus suffered during his death.
(b) He wonders if Aegisthus was truly guilty.
(c) He wonders if Aegisthus was repenting his sins in the last moments of his life.
(d) He wonders if Aegisthus is receiving an adulterer's punishment.
5. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
(b) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
(c) He is there to testify against Orestes.
(d) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
6. What do the Furies claim about Orestes to Athena?
(a) He is unfit to speak for himself.
(b) He is cursed by his mother.
(c) He will taint his sister's grace if allowed to live.
(d) He will kill all women if allowed to live.
7. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
8. What do the Furies complain about when Athena leaves in the second part of the third play?
(a) The Ancients.
(b) The older gods.
(c) The younger gods.
9. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why she cares.
(b) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
(c) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
(d) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
10. How does Orestes introduce himself to Athena?
(a) He tells her he is Agamemnon's son.
(b) He tells her he is Atreus's grandson.
(c) He tells her he is Clytemnestra's son.
(d) He tells her he is Electra's brother.
11. What does Orestes believe about the vision he is having at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) The Furies are going to take revenge upon him for his mother.
(b) His mother will haunt him for all his days.
(c) His father is cursing his son's actions.
(d) Aegisthus will try to avenge his death upon Electra.
12. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
(a) Aegisthus's bloody robes.
(b) His mother's bloody robes.
(c) The crown.
(d) The cloth that Agamemnon was trapped in before he was murdered.
13. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
(b) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
(c) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(d) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
14. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(a) The blessings of the gods.
(b) The sins of the the mother.
15. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
(a) Destroying Orestes.
(b) Running in the fields.
(c) Avenging their souls on their murderers.
(d) Hunting wild animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
2. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
3. What does Orestes see when he cries out in terror after he has avenged his father's murder?
4. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
5. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)