|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will be the first action taken when Orestes and Pylades infiltrate the palace?
(a) Aegisthus will be killed.
(b) Clytemnestra will be killed.
(c) Electra will be guided to safety.
(d) Cilissa will be alerted.
2. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
3. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
(a) He does not know whether he should kill his sister.
(b) He does not know if he should kill himself after his revenge.
(c) He does not know whether he should kill his mother or spare her.
(d) He does not know if Zeus is truly watching.
4. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The elder gods.
(b) The Ancients.
(d) The younger gods.
5. What is coming true for Clytemnestra in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) A curse passed on by Apollo.
(b) Her dream about the snake.
(c) A prophecy revealed by Demeter.
(d) A blessing given to her by Hera.
6. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
(a) It prophesizes the death of Electra
(b) It prophesizes his failure in his revenge.
(c) It prophesizes the murder of Clytemnestra by Aegisthus.
(d) It prophesizes his revenge against his mother.
7. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
(a) Iphigenia was wrongly murdered.
(b) She was an adulteress.
(c) She killed her husband.
(d) She would have murdered her own children had she not been killed.
8. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(b) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(c) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
(d) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
9. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
(a) They ask for release.
(b) They ask for strength and guidance.
(c) They ask for forgiveness.
(d) They ask for safe passage to the castle.
10. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) His father's armor.
(b) Cilissa's body.
(c) Electra's body.
(d) Aegisthus's body.
11. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
(b) He will live anonymously and wisely.
(c) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
(d) He will restore the glory of their name.
12. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
13. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
(a) Clytemnestra deserved to die.
(b) Apollo himself sent Orestes to kill his mother.
(c) Orestes was meant to kill his mother a long time ago.
(d) Electra would have killed Clytemnestra and Orestes saved her from it.
14. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
(a) Orestes is dead.
(b) Electra has run away.
(c) Electra is dead.
(d) Orestes is returning.
15. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) Inside the palace.
(b) Inside the temple to Zeus.
(c) In front of the palace.
(d) At Agamemnon's tomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
2. What will Athena appoint to pass judgment on the case between Orestes and the Furies?
3. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
4. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
5. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)