|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
(a) They pray that Orestes will die in his revenge attempt.
(b) They pray that the entire royal family will perish.
(c) They pray that Zeus will stop the plot.
(d) They pray that Orestes will have his revenge successfully.
2. What has Electra been forced to do in the years since her father's death?
(a) Disown her father.
(b) Mourn him in secret.
(c) Treat Aegisthus as her father.
(d) Disown her brother.
3. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The elder gods.
(b) The Ancients.
(c) The younger gods.
4. What do the Furies claim about Orestes to Athena?
(a) He will kill all women if allowed to live.
(b) He is cursed by his mother.
(c) He is unfit to speak for himself.
(d) He will taint his sister's grace if allowed to live.
5. What would happen to Orestes if he did not take revenge upon his mother, according the oracle?
(a) Orestes' own life would be cursed.
(b) Aegisthus would murder Clytemnestra.
(c) Agamemnon would suffer in Hades.
(d) Electra would die.
6. What does Aegisthus claim after his entrance in "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) He is thrice blessed by the gods.
(b) He is the father of Orestes.
(c) He is the wisest man in Mycenae.
(d) He cannot be fooled.
7. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) He looks like their father.
(b) He has the marks from their mother's abuse on him.
(c) He is wearing the robe she made for him.
(d) He bears letters from her.
8. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
(b) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(c) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
(d) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
9. What does Orestes believe about the vision he is having at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Aegisthus will try to avenge his death upon Electra.
(b) His father is cursing his son's actions.
(c) The Furies are going to take revenge upon him for his mother.
(d) His mother will haunt him for all his days.
10. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
(a) Orestes is dead.
(b) Electra has run away.
(c) Electra is dead.
(d) Orestes is returning.
11. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
(d) The oracle at Delphi.
12. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) His love for her.
(b) The gods' will.
(c) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(d) Her sins.
13. About whom was the oracle's vision?
(d) Orestes and the Furies.
14. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(b) The snake bit her and drew blood.
(c) The goat ran away.
(d) The lion mauled her.
15. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(b) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
(c) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
(d) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
2. What does Apollo tell the court about his decree to Orestes?
3. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
4. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
5. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)