|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
(d) The oracle at Delphi.
2. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) His father's armor.
(b) Aegisthus's body.
(c) Cilissa's body.
(d) Electra's body.
3. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
4. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
(a) Running in the fields.
(b) Avenging their souls on their murderers.
(c) Hunting wild animals.
(d) Destroying Orestes.
5. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
(a) The judges did not vote as they wished to avoid the wrath of the Furies and of the gods.
(b) The vote is in favor of Orestes.
(c) The vote is divided evenly.
(d) The vote is in favor of the Furies.
6. What will be the first action taken when Orestes and Pylades infiltrate the palace?
(a) Electra will be guided to safety.
(b) Clytemnestra will be killed.
(c) Aegisthus will be killed.
(d) Cilissa will be alerted.
7. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
(a) They pray that Orestes will die in his revenge attempt.
(b) They pray that the entire royal family will perish.
(c) They pray that Orestes will have his revenge successfully.
(d) They pray that Zeus will stop the plot.
8. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
(a) They ask for forgiveness.
(b) They ask for release.
(c) They ask for strength and guidance.
(d) They ask for safe passage to the castle.
9. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) Her sins.
(b) The gods' will.
(c) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(d) His love for her.
10. Who is the oracle?
(a) A woman who prophesizes from the gods.
(b) A priest who speaks to the gods.
(c) Orestes' sister.
(d) A priestess of Hera.
11. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
(b) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(c) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(d) Athena cursed Atreus.
12. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
(a) They wonder if Orestes was truly ordered by the gods to avenge Agamemnon.
(b) They wonder if the family will ever break their curse.
(c) They wonder if Electra will follow her brother.
(d) They wonder who will take the throne in Mycenae.
13. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The younger gods.
(b) The elder gods.
(c) The Ancients.
14. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) At Agamemnon's tomb.
(b) In front of the palace.
(c) Inside the temple to Zeus.
(d) Inside the palace.
15. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
(b) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
(c) He does not know why she cares.
(d) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
2. What would happen to Orestes if he did not take revenge upon his mother, according the oracle?
3. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
4. What does Orestes see when he cries out in terror after he has avenged his father's murder?
5. What does Pylades advise Orestes to do?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)