|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
(a) A snake.
(b) A lion.
(c) A goat.
(d) A gorgon.
2. What do the Furies tell Apollo about their hunt for Orestes?
(a) It is their right to avenge the death of Iphigenia upon anyone connected.
(b) It is their right to punish those who murder their mothers.
(c) It is their right to hunt someone who has left his sister an orphan.
(d) It is their right to hunt whom they please.
3. What will Athena appoint to pass judgment on the case between Orestes and the Furies?
(a) A council of gods.
(b) A council of king.
(c) A court of all spirits affected by Orestes' murder of Clytemnestra.
(d) A council of Athens' elders.
4. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Clytemnestra's spirit pleads for her son's freedom.
(b) Athena's vote for Orestes breaks the tie in the Areopagus.
(c) The Areopagus votes for Orestes.
(d) Agamemnon's spirit asks the Furies to pursue him in Orestes' place.
5. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(b) Her sins.
(c) The gods' will.
(d) His love for her.
6. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(b) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(c) Athena cursed Atreus.
(d) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
7. What is coming true for Clytemnestra in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) A blessing given to her by Hera.
(b) Her dream about the snake.
(c) A curse passed on by Apollo.
(d) A prophecy revealed by Demeter.
8. From where has Athena flown when she makes her entrance?
9. About whom was the oracle's vision?
(a) Orestes and the Furies.
10. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
(a) He wonders if Aegisthus suffered during his death.
(b) He wonders if Aegisthus is receiving an adulterer's punishment.
(c) He wonders if Aegisthus was repenting his sins in the last moments of his life.
(d) He wonders if Aegisthus was truly guilty.
11. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) Inside the temple to Zeus.
(b) In front of the palace.
(c) Inside the palace.
(d) At Agamemnon's tomb.
12. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
(a) They pray that Orestes will die in his revenge attempt.
(b) They pray that Zeus will stop the plot.
(c) They pray that the entire royal family will perish.
(d) They pray that Orestes will have his revenge successfully.
13. Why does Clytemnestra grieve after the false news of her son's death?
(a) Orestes is the only hope of breaking the family curse.
(b) She regrets her treatment of Electra.
(c) Orestes was the only child she loved.
(d) She regrets banishing him..
14. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
(a) Aegisthus's bloody robes.
(b) His mother's bloody robes.
(c) The cloth that Agamemnon was trapped in before he was murdered.
(d) The crown.
15. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
2. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
3. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
4. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
5. According to Apollo in the first part of the third play, where must Orestes travel?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)