|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where has Athena flown when she makes her entrance?
2. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(b) The snake bit her and drew blood.
(c) The goat ran away.
(d) The lion mauled her.
3. What does Apollo tell the court about his decree to Orestes?
(a) He was not acting upon any other's will but his own.
(b) He was passing on Zeus's judgment about justice.
(c) He favored Agamemnon and was avenging his death.
(d) He cursed Clytemnestra and was passing on judgment.
4. What must Aegisthus bring with him to the palace?
(a) Agamemnon's body.
(b) A regiment of soldiers.
(c) Orestes' sword.
(d) Offerings to the gods.
5. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
6. According to Apollo in the first part of the third play, where must Orestes travel?
7. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
(a) They pray that the entire royal family will perish.
(b) They pray that Orestes will die in his revenge attempt.
(c) They pray that Orestes will have his revenge successfully.
(d) They pray that Zeus will stop the plot.
8. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
(b) He will live anonymously and wisely.
(c) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
(d) He will restore the glory of their name.
9. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) Her sins.
(b) His love for her.
(c) The gods' will.
(d) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
10. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The imminent death of Orestes.
(b) Their immortality, power, and divine right.
(c) The freedom of Clytemnestra's soul.
(d) The vengeance of all women.
11. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
12. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
(a) She killed her husband.
(b) Iphigenia was wrongly murdered.
(c) She would have murdered her own children had she not been killed.
(d) She was an adulteress.
13. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Cilissa's body.
(b) Aegisthus's body.
(c) Electra's body.
(d) His father's armor.
14. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
15. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
(a) She tells him Iphigenia pleaded for her life before being sacrificed.
(b) She reminds Orestes that she is his mother.
(c) She reminds him that Electra will be motherless.
(d) She tells Orestes she was ordered by Zeus to kill Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
2. What does Orestes see when he cries out in terror after he has avenged his father's murder?
3. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
4. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
5. What does Orestes believe about the vision he is having at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)