|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(b) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
(c) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(d) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
2. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
(a) They pray that the entire royal family will perish.
(b) They pray that Zeus will stop the plot.
(c) They pray that Orestes will have his revenge successfully.
(d) They pray that Orestes will die in his revenge attempt.
3. What will be the first action taken when Orestes and Pylades infiltrate the palace?
(a) Aegisthus will be killed.
(b) Cilissa will be alerted.
(c) Electra will be guided to safety.
(d) Clytemnestra will be killed.
4. What does Clytemnestra call out for when she hears the noise from inside the palace in the third part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Zeus's intervention.
(b) An axe.
(c) The Furies.
(d) A sword.
5. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
(a) They wonder who will take the throne in Mycenae.
(b) They wonder if Orestes was truly ordered by the gods to avenge Agamemnon.
(c) They wonder if Electra will follow her brother.
(d) They wonder if the family will ever break their curse.
6. Why does Clytemnestra grieve after the false news of her son's death?
(a) She regrets banishing him..
(b) Orestes was the only child she loved.
(c) She regrets her treatment of Electra.
(d) Orestes is the only hope of breaking the family curse.
7. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
(a) His mother's bloody robes.
(b) The cloth that Agamemnon was trapped in before he was murdered.
(c) Aegisthus's bloody robes.
(d) The crown.
8. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
(b) He will live anonymously and wisely.
(c) He will restore the glory of their name.
(d) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
9. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) Inside the palace.
(b) At Agamemnon's tomb.
(c) Inside the temple to Zeus.
(d) In front of the palace.
10. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(b) The blessings of the gods.
(c) The sins of the the mother.
11. What do the Furies tell Apollo about their hunt for Orestes?
(a) It is their right to hunt whom they please.
(b) It is their right to punish those who murder their mothers.
(c) It is their right to avenge the death of Iphigenia upon anyone connected.
(d) It is their right to hunt someone who has left his sister an orphan.
12. Why does Apollo claim that Clytemnestra needed to be killed?
(a) She killed her husband.
(b) Iphigenia was wrongly murdered.
(c) She was an adulteress.
(d) She would have murdered her own children had she not been killed.
13. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
14. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) She supports the Furies.
(b) She supports Orestes.
(c) She withdraws any and all support for both sides.
(d) She will punish the guilty party herself.
15. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Cilissa's body.
(b) Electra's body.
(c) His father's armor.
(d) Aegisthus's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
2. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
3. What does Aegisthus claim after his entrance in "The Libation Bearers"?
4. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
5. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)