|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
(b) He will restore the glory of their name.
(c) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
(d) He will live anonymously and wisely.
2. What does Orestes firmly reinforce while protesting his innocence to the council?
(a) He was acting on Zeus's will.
(b) He was acting on his father's will.
(c) He was acting on Apollo's will.
(d) He was acting on his own will.
3. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
(a) It prophesizes his revenge against his mother.
(b) It prophesizes the death of Electra
(c) It prophesizes his failure in his revenge.
(d) It prophesizes the murder of Clytemnestra by Aegisthus.
4. According to Apollo in the first part of the third play, where must Orestes travel?
5. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
(a) The vote is in favor of the Furies.
(b) The vote is divided evenly.
(c) The vote is in favor of Orestes.
(d) The judges did not vote as they wished to avoid the wrath of the Furies and of the gods.
6. What has Electra been forced to do in the years since her father's death?
(a) Treat Aegisthus as her father.
(b) Disown her father.
(c) Disown her brother.
(d) Mourn him in secret.
7. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
(a) Clytemnestra deserved to die.
(b) Electra would have killed Clytemnestra and Orestes saved her from it.
(c) Apollo himself sent Orestes to kill his mother.
(d) Orestes was meant to kill his mother a long time ago.
8. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The snake bit her and drew blood.
(b) The lion mauled her.
(c) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(d) The goat ran away.
9. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) He is wearing the robe she made for him.
(b) He looks like their father.
(c) He bears letters from her.
(d) He has the marks from their mother's abuse on him.
10. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(b) The leader of the chorus.
11. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) At Agamemnon's tomb.
(b) In front of the palace.
(c) Inside the temple to Zeus.
(d) Inside the palace.
12. For whom do the disguised Orestes and Pylades cry out while outside the palace?
13. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
(b) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(c) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(d) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
14. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
(a) He wonders if Aegisthus is receiving an adulterer's punishment.
(b) He wonders if Aegisthus was truly guilty.
(c) He wonders if Aegisthus was repenting his sins in the last moments of his life.
(d) He wonders if Aegisthus suffered during his death.
15. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
(a) He senses the presence of the Furies.
(b) He appears at his altar daily.
(c) He is called down by the oracle.
(d) He wants to help Orestes.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
2. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
3. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
4. What will be the first action taken when Orestes and Pylades infiltrate the palace?
5. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)