|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
(b) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
(c) He does not know why she cares.
(d) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
2. What does Athena decide about the case presented to her by Orestes and the Furies?
(a) She sides with Orestes, but refuses to grant him sanctuary.
(b) She sides with the Furies.
(c) She sides with Orestes.
(d) It is not part of her divine right to judge this case.
3. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(c) The blessings of the gods.
(d) The sins of the the mother.
4. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
5. What will Athena appoint to pass judgment on the case between Orestes and the Furies?
(a) A council of Athens' elders.
(b) A council of king.
(c) A court of all spirits affected by Orestes' murder of Clytemnestra.
(d) A council of gods.
6. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena cursed Atreus.
(b) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(c) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(d) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
7. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(c) The leader of the chorus.
8. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Aegisthus's body.
(b) Electra's body.
(c) His father's armor.
(d) Cilissa's body.
9. What does Pylades advise Orestes to do?
(a) Orestes will be murdered by Clytemnestra if he does not kill her first.
(b) Electra will be cursed if Orestes does not follow through with his revenge.
(c) The oracle said Orestes must kill his mother.
(d) Orestes will be looked upon as weak if he does not kill Clytemnestra.
10. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
(a) Apollo himself sent Orestes to kill his mother.
(b) Clytemnestra deserved to die.
(c) Electra would have killed Clytemnestra and Orestes saved her from it.
(d) Orestes was meant to kill his mother a long time ago.
11. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
(a) The vote is in favor of Orestes.
(b) The judges did not vote as they wished to avoid the wrath of the Furies and of the gods.
(c) The vote is divided evenly.
(d) The vote is in favor of the Furies.
12. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
(a) The Furies wish for Athena to join them.
(b) The Furies believe Athena is unfavorably judging them.
(c) The Furies want to overthrow Zeus, but Athena will not allow them.
(d) They argue about whether the old gods or young gods are more relevant.
13. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
(a) Aegisthus's bloody robes.
(b) His mother's bloody robes.
(c) The crown.
(d) The cloth that Agamemnon was trapped in before he was murdered.
14. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
(a) Cilissa must push Aegisthus into the bay.
(b) Cilissa must convince Aegisthus to cleanse himself.
(c) Cilissa must cut Aegisthus's throat.
(d) Cilissa must bring Aegisthus alone.
15. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
(b) He is there to testify against Orestes.
(c) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
(d) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
2. What do the Furies complain about when Athena leaves in the second part of the third play?
3. What has Electra been forced to do in the years since her father's death?
4. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
5. Who is the oracle?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)