|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is coming true for Clytemnestra in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Her dream about the snake.
(b) A prophecy revealed by Demeter.
(c) A curse passed on by Apollo.
(d) A blessing given to her by Hera.
2. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
(a) The vote is in favor of Orestes.
(b) The vote is in favor of the Furies.
(c) The judges did not vote as they wished to avoid the wrath of the Furies and of the gods.
(d) The vote is divided evenly.
3. According to Apollo, why should Orestes be left alone?
(a) Clytemnestra deserved to die.
(b) Electra would have killed Clytemnestra and Orestes saved her from it.
(c) Orestes was meant to kill his mother a long time ago.
(d) Apollo himself sent Orestes to kill his mother.
4. According to Apollo in the first part of the third play, where must Orestes travel?
5. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) The gods' will.
(b) Her sins.
(c) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(d) His love for her.
6. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) At Agamemnon's tomb.
(b) In front of the palace.
(c) Inside the palace.
(d) Inside the temple to Zeus.
7. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The goat ran away.
(b) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(c) The snake bit her and drew blood.
(d) The lion mauled her.
8. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(d) The leader of the chorus.
9. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
(b) He does not know why she cares.
(c) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
(d) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
10. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
11. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) She supports the Furies.
(b) She will punish the guilty party herself.
(c) She supports Orestes.
(d) She withdraws any and all support for both sides.
12. Who commanded Orestes to seek vengeance for his father's death?
13. What does Apollo claim about mothers and fathers in the last part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The father is much more important than the mother.
(b) The mother and father are always equal, except in the case of Clytemnestra.
(c) The mother and father are equal.
(d) The mother is much more important than the father.
14. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
(a) Electra has run away.
(b) Orestes is returning.
(c) Orestes is dead.
(d) Electra is dead.
15. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
2. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
3. What does Orestes see when he cries out in terror after he has avenged his father's murder?
4. Why does Clytemnestra grieve after the false news of her son's death?
5. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)