|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
(a) It prophesizes the murder of Clytemnestra by Aegisthus.
(b) It prophesizes his failure in his revenge.
(c) It prophesizes his revenge against his mother.
(d) It prophesizes the death of Electra
2. What do the Furies claim about Orestes to Athena?
(a) He will taint his sister's grace if allowed to live.
(b) He is cursed by his mother.
(c) He is unfit to speak for himself.
(d) He will kill all women if allowed to live.
3. What does Clytemnestra call out for when she hears the noise from inside the palace in the third part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) An axe.
(b) The Furies.
(c) A sword.
(d) Zeus's intervention.
4. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
(a) The Furies wish for Athena to join them.
(b) The Furies believe Athena is unfavorably judging them.
(c) They argue about whether the old gods or young gods are more relevant.
(d) The Furies want to overthrow Zeus, but Athena will not allow them.
5. About whom was the oracle's vision?
(c) Orestes and the Furies.
6. Who is the oracle?
(a) A woman who prophesizes from the gods.
(b) A priest who speaks to the gods.
(c) Orestes' sister.
(d) A priestess of Hera.
7. What does Orestes hold up as proof that his father has been avenged?
(a) His mother's bloody robes.
(b) The cloth that Agamemnon was trapped in before he was murdered.
(c) The crown.
(d) Aegisthus's bloody robes.
8. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
9. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
(a) Athena favored Agamemnon during the Trojan War.
(b) Athena favored Clytemnestra above all other queens.
(c) Athena favors Electra as a priestess.
(d) Athena cursed Atreus.
10. In what state is Orestes' old nurse, Cilissa, upon hearing that Orestes was murdered?
(a) She is relieved.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is distraught.
11. What ends up freeing Orestes from the Furies at the end of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Agamemnon's spirit asks the Furies to pursue him in Orestes' place.
(b) The Areopagus votes for Orestes.
(c) Athena's vote for Orestes breaks the tie in the Areopagus.
(d) Clytemnestra's spirit pleads for her son's freedom.
12. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
13. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Aegisthus's body.
(b) Electra's body.
(c) His father's armor.
(d) Cilissa's body.
14. What does Apollo claim about mothers and fathers in the last part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The mother and father are always equal, except in the case of Clytemnestra.
(b) The mother and father are equal.
(c) The father is much more important than the mother.
(d) The mother is much more important than the father.
15. Why does Orestes wish to return to the oracle at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) He wants to receive punishment for his deeds.
(b) He wants to be reassured that he did the right thing.
(c) He wants another prophecy revealed to him.
(d) He wants to receive absolution for his deeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes firmly reinforce while protesting his innocence to the council?
2. How does Orestes introduce himself to Athena?
3. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
4. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
5. What do the Eumenides claim about Orestes' travels in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)