|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the herald believe about Agamemnon's brother?
(a) His soul is restless.
(b) He perished at sea.
(c) He is still alive.
(d) He is wandering the earth for all eternity.
2. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) Apollo will forgive her.
(b) Athena will protect her.
(c) Her death will be avenged.
(d) She will be remembered.
3. What is Aegisthus's relationship to Clytemnestra as demonstrated at the end of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) He is her son.
(b) He is her lover.
(c) He is her father.
(d) He is her brother.
4. What does Clytemnestra assume about Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra does not understand what is being said.
(b) Cassandra is deaf.
(c) Cassandra is being belligerent.
(d) Cassandra is not very smart.
5. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
6. What woman is accompanying Agamemnon on his return to Mycenae?
7. Whom did Clytemnestra send into exile?
8. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
(b) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
(c) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
(d) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
9. For what does Cassandra pray in the fourth part of the first play?
(b) An easy death.
(c) An afterlife.
(d) Agamemnon to survive.
10. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
11. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
(a) He is half the man that Agamemnon was.
(b) Clytemnestra did all the work in murdering Agamemnon.
(c) He is not of royal blood.
(d) He was not fit to be a soldier.
12. What gift did Apollo give Cassandra before the events of The Oresteia?
(b) The ability of persuasion.
(c) The ability to speak in tongues.
13. What past events does Cassandra see in a vision?
(a) The death of Achilles.
(b) The kidnapping of Helen.
(c) The tragedies of the house of Atreus.
(d) The fall of Troy.
14. For what does the leader of the chorus praise Agamemnon upon his return?
(a) His captive, Cassandra.
(b) His continued piety to the gods.
(c) His continued fealty to his people.
(d) Victory with Troy.
15. Why is the herald so joyful?
(a) Clytemnestra favors him.
(b) He is home in Mycenae.
(c) He is gotten married.
(d) The gods have spoken to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does "The Oresteia" begin?
2. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
3. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
4. After receiving news of the fall of Troy, which Trojan does the chorus agree got what he deserved?
5. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)