|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
(a) An oracle.
2. How do the women describe Clytemnestra in their first appearance in "The Libation Bearers"?
3. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is a Trojan princess.
(b) She is Helen's half sister.
(c) She is a priestess of Athena.
(d) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
4. What past events does Cassandra see in a vision?
(a) The fall of Troy.
(b) The kidnapping of Helen.
(c) The death of Achilles.
(d) The tragedies of the house of Atreus.
5. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
(a) The will of the gods.
(b) The actions of Agamemnon and his father.
(c) Agamemnon's disregard for others.
(d) Clytemnestra's vengeance.
6. How does Agamemnon agree to walk on the carpet?
(a) On a horse.
(b) Carrying his wife.
(c) In his boots.
7. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
8. What reasoning did Clytemnestra give for exiling a certain person before the events of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) She was afraid her daughter might tempt her lover.
(b) She was afraid that gods would smite her son.
(c) She wanted to keep her son safe from Trojan assassins.
(d) She wanted him out of the way of her lover's ascension.
9. What is Aegisthus's relationship to Clytemnestra as demonstrated at the end of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) He is her lover.
(b) He is her brother.
(c) He is her son.
(d) He is her father.
10. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
(a) It was the will of two kings.
(b) It was the will of the gods.
(c) It was because of a misunderstanding.
(d) It was over a woman.
11. What interrupts the chorus's meditations on life at the end of the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Clytemnestra is laughing.
(b) Cassandra is screaming.
(c) Orestes returns to the city.
(d) Agamemnon is screaming.
12. Why does Agamemnon walk inside his palace the way he does?
(a) He believes it is grander.
(b) He believes it is more touching to walk in together.
(c) He does not care about Clytemnestra's feelings on the matter.
(d) He believes it is more humbling.
13. What do the female attendants lay on the ground for Agamemnon to walk upon?
(a) A gold cloth.
(b) A purple cloth.
(c) A white cloth.
(d) A red cloth.
14. What gift did Apollo give Cassandra before the events of The Oresteia?
(c) The ability to speak in tongues.
(d) The ability of persuasion.
15. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A horse race.
(b) A child's game.
(c) A footrace.
(d) A sailing ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does "The Oresteia" begin?
2. What is Clytemnestra's final reaction to Cassandra?
3. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
4. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
5. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)