|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) Apollo will forgive her.
(b) Athena will protect her.
(c) She will be remembered.
(d) Her death will be avenged.
2. What message does Clytemnestra send to Agamemnon through the herald?
(a) She does not wish to see him.
(b) She has been loyal and faithful.
(c) She is pregnant with his child.
(d) She wants to take him to Apollo's temple for blessings.
3. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
(a) He is the cousin of Atreus.
(b) He is the son of Atreus.
(c) He is the husband of Atreus's daughter.
(d) He is the nephew of Atreus.
4. How do the women describe Clytemnestra in their first appearance in "The Libation Bearers"?
5. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
(a) His reign as king.
(b) Another battle at sea.
(c) The sacrifices to the gods.
(d) The journey home.
6. To whom does Electra pray while at Agamemnon's tomb?
7. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
8. Whom did Clytemnestra send into exile?
9. What do the female attendants lay on the ground for Agamemnon to walk upon?
(a) A gold cloth.
(b) A purple cloth.
(c) A white cloth.
(d) A red cloth.
10. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(b) As well as she could.
(c) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(d) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
11. In the first play, how is the chorus described in the narration?
(a) A group of young women.
(b) A group of old men.
(c) A group of holy men.
(d) A group of young men.
12. How does Electra know the offering on the tomb came from Orestes?
(a) The sword has the family crest on it.
(b) His hair looks just like her own.
(c) She wrote the letters to her brother.
(d) She gave the book to her brother.
13. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
14. To what does the chorus compare Troy after the herald exits?
(a) A beloved, though ungrateful child.
(b) An old man.
(c) A wise king with a terrible advisor.
(d) A new baby.
15. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(a) Offerings to the gods.
(c) Maidens to pray.
(d) Blasphemous offerings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Electra find when she wonders aloud if her brother has returned?
2. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
3. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
4. What gift did Apollo give Cassandra before the events of The Oresteia?
5. How does Agamemnon make his entrance?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)