|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
2. What does Orestes wonder about the women approaching his father's tomb?
(a) He wonders if they are there to mourn his father or a new tragedy.
(b) He wonders if they are there to move his father's body to safety.
(c) He wonders if they are there to celebrate his father's life.
(d) He wonders if they are there to desecrate the tomb.
3. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
(b) The Watchman.
(d) The leader of the chorus.
4. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
(a) Allow Agamemnon to be buried without any offerings made to the gods.
(b) Allow Aegisthus to rule Mycenae.
(c) Allow her son to return.
(d) Allow her to retire.
5. What advice does Electra ask of the chorus while at her father's tomb?
(a) She is unsure of where to go when she runs away.
(b) She is unsure if she is truly her father's daughter.
(c) She is unsure of whether to mourn her father.
(d) She is unsure of how to pray.
6. In which city does "The Oresteia" begin?
7. What does Clytemnestra assume about Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra is being belligerent.
(b) Cassandra is not very smart.
(c) Cassandra is deaf.
(d) Cassandra does not understand what is being said.
8. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
(a) He brings news of Agamemnon.
(b) He brings news of Orestes.
(c) He brings news of Aegisthus.
(d) He brings news of Iphigenia.
9. What was Paris's actual deed that set off the Trojan War?
(a) He murdered Menelaus.
(b) He rejected Apollo.
(c) He dishonored Aphrodite.
(d) He kidnapped Helen.
10. When does the second play take place?
(a) Several days after Agamemnon's death.
(b) Weeks after Agamemnon's death.
(c) Several years after Agamemnon's death.
(d) Hours after Agamemnon's death.
11. What is Aegisthus's reaction when the chorus brings up Clytemnestra and her role in the murders?
(a) He meekly agrees.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He threatens them violently.
(d) He goes back inside.
12. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
13. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(b) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(c) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
(d) As well as she could.
14. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
(a) The offerings come from Clytemnestra as a loving wife .
(b) The offerings come from a loyal follower.
(c) The offerings come from Electra as an angry daughter.
(d) The offerings come from a detached subject.
15. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A child's game.
(b) A horse race.
(c) A sailing ship.
(d) A footrace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first part of the first play, what does the chorus say of Agamemnon's fate?
2. What is the herald's opinion on Troy and Paris?
3. Why does Agamemnon walk inside his palace the way he does?
4. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
5. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)