|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes pray for at the beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Safe voyage overseas.
(b) Success in his plan of revenge for his father's murder.
(c) Peace of mind.
(d) His success in war.
2. When does the second play take place?
(a) Several years after Agamemnon's death.
(b) Hours after Agamemnon's death.
(c) Several days after Agamemnon's death.
(d) Weeks after Agamemnon's death.
3. For what does Clytemnestra triumphantly reproach the chorus in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Their ignorance about politics.
(b) Their support of Cassandra.
(c) Their reliance on the gods to intervene.
(d) Underestimating her because of her gender.
4. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
(a) The crest of her family.
(b) Her long hair.
(c) The chains Agamemnon put around her.
(d) Her royal jewelry.
5. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
(a) His men mutinied against him on the return home.
(b) He was killed in battle.
(c) He has returns home safely.
(d) His ship is lost after a storm.
6. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
(a) Electra giving herself over to the gods.
(b) An apology.
(c) A blood sacrifice.
(d) Clytemnestra's resignation of the throne.
7. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(c) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
(d) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
8. What does Orestes leave behind at his father's tomb in tribute ?
(a) His sword.
(b) His sister's letters.
(c) A lock of his hair.
(d) A book of verse.
9. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
(a) Her own freedom.
(b) The death of her father's murderers.
(c) The return of her family.
(d) Her mother's salvation.
10. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
(b) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
(c) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
(d) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
11. What is the herald's opinion on Troy and Paris?
(a) It is a tragedy.
(b) Paris should have surrendered and the city left untouched.
(c) The city should have turned Paris over to the Greeks.
(d) They got what they deserved.
12. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
(a) He is the husband of Atreus's daughter.
(b) He is the son of Atreus.
(c) He is the cousin of Atreus.
(d) He is the nephew of Atreus.
13. According to Clytemnestra, what did she watch for while Agamemnon was gone?
(a) She watched the moon to see if the gods would tell her anything through it.
(b) She watched for any sign from the gods.
(c) She watched the horizon every day for his ship.
(d) She kept watch for any word of her husband.
14. What is Cassandra's reaction to Clytemnestra?
(a) Cassandra refuses the wine Clytemnestra offers.
(b) Cassandra throws herself at her feet.
(c) She tells her she does not wish to leave the city.
(d) She does not move from the chariot.
15. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
(a) Agamemnon is coming home from the Trojan War.
(b) Agamemnon has died.
(c) Menelaus is coming home from the Trojan War.
(d) King Priam is invading.
Short Answer Questions
1. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
2. Why does Cassandra walk into the palace?
3. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
4. What does Electra find when she wonders aloud if her brother has returned?
5. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)