|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
(a) His thoughts of his wife.
(b) His thoughts of his children.
(d) His thoughts of his home.
2. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
(a) He brings news of Orestes.
(b) He brings news of Agamemnon.
(c) He brings news of Aegisthus.
(d) He brings news of Iphigenia.
3. What future events does Cassandra foresee after she sees the past?
(a) She sees herself as queen of Mycenae.
(b) She sees herself ruling Mycenae with Clytemnestra's lover.
(c) She sees the murder of herself and Agamemnon by Clytemnestra.
(d) She sees herself escaping the city.
4. According to the chorus, what was Paris's crime?
(a) Breaking the laws of nature.
(b) Kidnapping Helen to break the peace.
(c) Following the will of the gods.
(d) Following his heart.
5. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) Apollo will forgive her.
(b) She will be remembered.
(c) Athena will protect her.
(d) Her death will be avenged.
6. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
(a) He says it is too poor for a king.
(b) He does not find it unsuitable.
(c) He says it is suited for gods, not mortals.
(d) He says that it is clearly meant for someone else.
7. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
(a) She is an inexperienced queen.
(b) She is not a holy woman.
(c) She is not faithful to her husband.
(d) She is a woman.
8. Whom did Clytemnestra send into exile?
9. What did Apollo expect in return for the gift he granted to Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra was to renounce all other gods.
(b) Cassandra was to give herself to him.
(c) Cassandra was to build a shrine to him.
(d) Cassandra was to honor him publicly.
10. How does Agamemnon agree to walk on the carpet?
(a) On a horse.
(c) In his boots.
(d) Carrying his wife.
11. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
(a) Menelaus's vengeance on Cltemnestra.
(b) Her mother's forgiveness.
(c) The death of Aegisthus.
(d) Her brother's return.
12. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
(a) He has returns home safely.
(b) His ship is lost after a storm.
(c) His men mutinied against him on the return home.
(d) He was killed in battle.
13. How does Agamemnon make his entrance?
(a) In a chariot.
(b) On horse back.
(c) In a horse-cart.
(d) On foot.
14. What is Clytemnestra's plan for ruling Mycenae at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) Orestes will return and rule it with her.
(b) She will rule it alone.
(c) Aegisthus will rule it.
(d) She and Aegisthus will rule it together.
15. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Paris's actual deed that set off the Trojan War?
2. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
3. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
4. For what does Clytemnestra triumphantly reproach the chorus in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
5. For what does Aegisthus thank the gods in the fifth part of the first play?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)