Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
(a) Agamemnon is coming home from the Trojan War.
(b) King Priam is invading.
(c) Menelaus is coming home from the Trojan War.
(d) Agamemnon has died.
2. What does Clytemnestra assume about Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra is deaf.
(b) Cassandra is not very smart.
(c) Cassandra does not understand what is being said.
(d) Cassandra is being belligerent.
3. What is Clytemnestra's plan for ruling Mycenae at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) She will rule it alone.
(b) She and Aegisthus will rule it together.
(c) Aegisthus will rule it.
(d) Orestes will return and rule it with her.
4. For what does Clytemnestra triumphantly reproach the chorus in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Their ignorance about politics.
(b) Their reliance on the gods to intervene.
(c) Their support of Cassandra.
(d) Underestimating her because of her gender.
5. In which city does "The Oresteia" begin?
6. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
(a) He says it is suited for gods, not mortals.
(b) He says it is too poor for a king.
(c) He does not find it unsuitable.
(d) He says that it is clearly meant for someone else.
7. What does Clytemnestra claim about her life since Agamemnon left for war?
(a) She claims to have been fine without him.
(b) She claims to have been lonely without him.
(c) She claims that her life improved after he left.
(d) She says that she remarried in his absence.
8. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
9. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
(a) A prophecy.
(b) He did not wish to leave his family.
(c) No wind.
(d) He did not feel he had probable cause to go to Troy.
10. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
(b) An oracle.
11. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
(a) The blessings of the gods.
(c) Victory at war.
(d) The homecoming.
12. For what does Aegisthus thank the gods in the fifth part of the first play?
(b) Their benevolence.
(d) The chorus.
13. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
(a) The death of Aegisthus.
(b) Menelaus's vengeance on Cltemnestra.
(c) Her mother's forgiveness.
(d) Her brother's return.
14. What reasoning did Clytemnestra give for exiling a certain person before the events of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) She wanted him out of the way of her lover's ascension.
(b) She was afraid that gods would smite her son.
(c) She wanted to keep her son safe from Trojan assassins.
(d) She was afraid her daughter might tempt her lover.
15. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) Her death will be avenged.
(b) Apollo will forgive her.
(c) She will be remembered.
(d) Athena will protect her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Apollo expect in return for the gift he granted to Cassandra?
2. What interrupts the chorus's meditations on life at the end of the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
3. What past events does Cassandra see in a vision?
4. Whom does Orestes wonder might be leading the crowd of women coming to Agamemnon's tomb?
5. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)