|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
(a) Allow Agamemnon to be buried without any offerings made to the gods.
(b) Allow her son to return.
(c) Allow her to retire.
(d) Allow Aegisthus to rule Mycenae.
2. What was Paris's actual deed that set off the Trojan War?
(a) He rejected Apollo.
(b) He kidnapped Helen.
(c) He dishonored Aphrodite.
(d) He murdered Menelaus.
3. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
(a) A blood sacrifice.
(b) An apology.
(c) Clytemnestra's resignation of the throne.
(d) Electra giving herself over to the gods.
4. When does the second play take place?
(a) Several days after Agamemnon's death.
(b) Several years after Agamemnon's death.
(c) Weeks after Agamemnon's death.
(d) Hours after Agamemnon's death.
5. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) She will be remembered.
(b) Athena will protect her.
(c) Her death will be avenged.
(d) Apollo will forgive her.
6. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
(a) Agamemnon's disregard for others.
(b) The actions of Agamemnon and his father.
(c) The will of the gods.
(d) Clytemnestra's vengeance.
7. What reasoning did Clytemnestra give for exiling a certain person before the events of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) She was afraid her daughter might tempt her lover.
(b) She wanted him out of the way of her lover's ascension.
(c) She wanted to keep her son safe from Trojan assassins.
(d) She was afraid that gods would smite her son.
8. For what does the herald thank the gods?
(a) He thanks them for blessing him and the army.
(b) He thanks them for sending him his wife.
(c) He thanks them for speaking to him.
(d) He thanks them for having such a benevolent queen.
9. Whom does Orestes wonder might be leading the crowd of women coming to Agamemnon's tomb?
10. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
(a) Her brother's return.
(b) Menelaus's vengeance on Cltemnestra.
(c) Her mother's forgiveness.
(d) The death of Aegisthus.
11. Why is the herald so joyful?
(a) He is home in Mycenae.
(b) The gods have spoken to him.
(c) Clytemnestra favors him.
(d) He is gotten married.
12. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is a Trojan princess.
(b) She is a priestess of Athena.
(c) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
(d) She is Helen's half sister.
13. Whom does Agamemnon tell Clytemnestra to greet and treat well?
14. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
15. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
(a) He is not of royal blood.
(b) He was not fit to be a soldier.
(c) Clytemnestra did all the work in murdering Agamemnon.
(d) He is half the man that Agamemnon was.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Clytemnestra scold the chorus in the second part of the first play?
2. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
3. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
4. To whom does Orestes pray while at his father's tomb?
5. What does part of the chorus suggest to Clytemnestra about her actions when they confront her?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)