|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
(d) The Watchman.
2. What is Aegisthus's relationship to Clytemnestra as demonstrated at the end of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) He is her father.
(b) He is her son.
(c) He is her brother.
(d) He is her lover.
3. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
4. After receiving news of the fall of Troy, which Trojan does the chorus agree got what he deserved?
5. To what does the chorus compare Troy after the herald exits?
(a) An old man.
(b) A new baby.
(c) A wise king with a terrible advisor.
(d) A beloved, though ungrateful child.
6. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
(a) The return of her family.
(b) Her mother's salvation.
(c) Her own freedom.
(d) The death of her father's murderers.
7. When does the second play take place?
(a) Several days after Agamemnon's death.
(b) Several years after Agamemnon's death.
(c) Weeks after Agamemnon's death.
(d) Hours after Agamemnon's death.
8. How does Agamemnon agree to walk on the carpet?
(a) In his boots.
(b) On a horse.
(c) Carrying his wife.
9. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
10. What advice does Electra ask of the chorus while at her father's tomb?
(a) She is unsure if she is truly her father's daughter.
(b) She is unsure of where to go when she runs away.
(c) She is unsure of how to pray.
(d) She is unsure of whether to mourn her father.
11. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
(b) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(c) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(d) As well as she could.
12. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
13. What was Apollo's reaction to Cassandra not meeting his expectations when he granted her with a gift?
(a) He impregnated her, shaming her family.
(b) He took away her gift of prophecy.
(c) He turned the other gods against her.
(d) He cursed her to speak the truth but never to be believed.
14. In which city does "The Oresteia" begin?
15. For what does Cassandra pray in the fourth part of the first play?
(a) An afterlife.
(c) Agamemnon to survive.
(d) An easy death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the herald's opinion on Troy and Paris?
2. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
3. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
4. In the first part of the first play, what signal is the man on the roof looking for?
5. Whom does Orestes wonder might be leading the crowd of women coming to Agamemnon's tomb?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)