|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the chorus feel about Cassandra?
(a) They are in awe of her.
(b) They sympathize with her.
(c) They are repulsed by her.
(d) They are dismissive of her.
2. Who comprises the group of women at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) Female Trojans whom Agamemnon took prisoner.
(b) Family servants who have been with them for years.
(d) Priestesses of Apollo.
3. According to the chorus, what was Paris's crime?
(a) Following the will of the gods.
(b) Following his heart.
(c) Kidnapping Helen to break the peace.
(d) Breaking the laws of nature.
4. How does Electra know the offering on the tomb came from Orestes?
(a) She gave the book to her brother.
(b) The sword has the family crest on it.
(c) She wrote the letters to her brother.
(d) His hair looks just like her own.
5. What is Clytemnestra's plan for ruling Mycenae at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) She will rule it alone.
(b) Orestes will return and rule it with her.
(c) Aegisthus will rule it.
(d) She and Aegisthus will rule it together.
6. What reasoning did Clytemnestra give for exiling a certain person before the events of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) She was afraid her daughter might tempt her lover.
(b) She wanted him out of the way of her lover's ascension.
(c) She was afraid that gods would smite her son.
(d) She wanted to keep her son safe from Trojan assassins.
7. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
(a) Allow her to retire.
(b) Allow Aegisthus to rule Mycenae.
(c) Allow her son to return.
(d) Allow Agamemnon to be buried without any offerings made to the gods.
8. In the first part of the first play, what does the chorus say of Agamemnon's fate?
(a) His is preordained.
(b) His fate will be to live a long life.
(c) His fate is open.
(d) The chorus says nothing about his fate.
9. For what does Clytemnestra scold the chorus in the second part of the first play?
(a) Not listening to the herald.
(b) Not respecting Agamemnon.
(c) Not offering proper prayers to the gods.
(d) Not believing her.
10. According to the chorus of women, what will atone for the murder of Agamemnon?
(a) A blood sacrifice.
(b) Clytemnestra's resignation of the throne.
(c) Electra giving herself over to the gods.
(d) An apology.
11. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(c) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
(d) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
12. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
(a) She is an inexperienced queen.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is not a holy woman.
(d) She is not faithful to her husband.
13. What advice does Electra ask of the chorus while at her father's tomb?
(a) She is unsure of how to pray.
(b) She is unsure of where to go when she runs away.
(c) She is unsure if she is truly her father's daughter.
(d) She is unsure of whether to mourn her father.
14. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
15. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A horse race.
(b) A child's game.
(c) A sailing ship.
(d) A footrace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cassandra's reaction to Clytemnestra?
2. Why is the herald so joyful?
3. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
4. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
5. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)