|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
2. In the first part of the first play, what does the chorus say of Agamemnon's fate?
(a) The chorus says nothing about his fate.
(b) His fate will be to live a long life.
(c) His is preordained.
(d) His fate is open.
3. What is Aegisthus's relationship to Clytemnestra as demonstrated at the end of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) He is her brother.
(b) He is her father.
(c) He is her lover.
(d) He is her son.
4. Why is the herald so joyful?
(a) He is gotten married.
(b) The gods have spoken to him.
(c) Clytemnestra favors him.
(d) He is home in Mycenae.
5. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
(a) It was the will of two kings.
(b) It was the will of the gods.
(c) It was because of a misunderstanding.
(d) It was over a woman.
6. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
7. What interrupts the chorus's meditations on life at the end of the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Cassandra is screaming.
(b) Clytemnestra is laughing.
(c) Agamemnon is screaming.
(d) Orestes returns to the city.
8. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
(a) Agamemnon's disregard for others.
(b) Clytemnestra's vengeance.
(c) The will of the gods.
(d) The actions of Agamemnon and his father.
9. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
(a) Another battle at sea.
(b) The journey home.
(c) His reign as king.
(d) The sacrifices to the gods.
10. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
(c) An oracle.
11. What does Agamemnon think about this particular welcome home?
(a) He wants his concubine to be impressed.
(b) He does not want his people to think poorly of him for not having a grand entrance.
(c) He does not want his people to think worse of him for being surrounded by indulgence.
(d) He is very happy with it.
12. What does Electra find on her father's tomb?
(a) Letters she wrote to her brother.
(b) A lock of Orestes' hair.
(c) Orestes' sword.
(d) A book of verse.
13. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
14. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
(a) The return of her family.
(b) The death of her father's murderers.
(c) Her own freedom.
(d) Her mother's salvation.
15. Why does Cassandra walk into the palace?
(a) She has nothing else to do.
(b) She hears Clytemnestra calling for help.
(c) She hears Agamemnon calling for her.
(d) She refuses to run from her fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
2. What is Cassandra's last vision in "The Agamemnon"?
3. What does Clytemnestra claim about her life since Agamemnon left for war?
4. For what does Aegisthus thank the gods in the fifth part of the first play?
5. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)