|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
2. What is Cassandra's last vision in "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Agamemnon will die.
(b) She will overpower her would-be murderer.
(c) She will ascend to Mount Olympus.
(d) Someone will return to Mycenae and right all the wrongs.
3. What is Cassandra's reaction to Clytemnestra?
(a) She tells her she does not wish to leave the city.
(b) Cassandra throws herself at her feet.
(c) She does not move from the chariot.
(d) Cassandra refuses the wine Clytemnestra offers.
4. What does Orestes pray for at the beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) His success in war.
(b) Safe voyage overseas.
(c) Success in his plan of revenge for his father's murder.
(d) Peace of mind.
5. What does Clytemnestra's entrance reveal in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Agamemnon and Cassandra are murdered.
(b) The ghost of her daughter is following her.
(c) Orestes has returned.
(d) Aegisthus is preparing to murder her.
6. How does the chorus feel about Cassandra?
(a) They are in awe of her.
(b) They are dismissive of her.
(c) They sympathize with her.
(d) They are repulsed by her.
7. What does the herald ask of the gods?
(a) He asks that they send Agamemmon good winds for his journey.
(b) He asks that they bless Clytemnestra and her family.
(c) He asks that they send a sign for whether he should leave the city.
(d) He asks that they continue to bless Agamemnon on his return home.
8. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) Her death will be avenged.
(b) She will be remembered.
(c) Apollo will forgive her.
(d) Athena will protect her.
9. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(b) Blasphemous offerings.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
(d) Maidens to pray.
10. For what does Aegisthus thank the gods in the fifth part of the first play?
(b) Their benevolence.
(d) The chorus.
11. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
(a) He says it is suited for gods, not mortals.
(b) He says it is too poor for a king.
(c) He says that it is clearly meant for someone else.
(d) He does not find it unsuitable.
12. What does Clytemnestra claim about her life since Agamemnon left for war?
(a) She claims to have been fine without him.
(b) She claims to have been lonely without him.
(c) She says that she remarried in his absence.
(d) She claims that her life improved after he left.
13. For what does the herald thank the gods?
(a) He thanks them for speaking to him.
(b) He thanks them for sending him his wife.
(c) He thanks them for blessing him and the army.
(d) He thanks them for having such a benevolent queen.
14. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
(a) Clytemnestra did all the work in murdering Agamemnon.
(b) He is not of royal blood.
(c) He is half the man that Agamemnon was.
(d) He was not fit to be a soldier.
15. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
(c) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(d) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the leader of the chorus praise Agamemnon upon his return?
2. About whom does the chorus ask the herald for news?
3. What does Electra find when she wonders aloud if her brother has returned?
4. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
5. What feelings suddenly strike the chorus after Agamemnon enters his palace?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)