|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the herald so joyful?
(a) The gods have spoken to him.
(b) Clytemnestra favors him.
(c) He is gotten married.
(d) He is home in Mycenae.
2. For what does Clytemnestra triumphantly reproach the chorus in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Their reliance on the gods to intervene.
(b) Their ignorance about politics.
(c) Underestimating her because of her gender.
(d) Their support of Cassandra.
3. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
(a) His thoughts of his home.
(c) His thoughts of his wife.
(d) His thoughts of his children.
4. What is Cassandra's last vision in "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Agamemnon will die.
(b) Someone will return to Mycenae and right all the wrongs.
(c) She will overpower her would-be murderer.
(d) She will ascend to Mount Olympus.
5. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
(a) The will of the gods.
(b) Clytemnestra's vengeance.
(c) Agamemnon's disregard for others.
(d) The actions of Agamemnon and his father.
6. How does Agamemnon agree to walk on the carpet?
(a) Carrying his wife.
(b) In his boots.
(c) On a horse.
7. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(a) Maidens to pray.
(b) Blasphemous offerings.
(d) Offerings to the gods.
8. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(c) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
(d) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
9. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
(a) She is a woman.
(b) She is not a holy woman.
(c) She is an inexperienced queen.
(d) She is not faithful to her husband.
10. What does Orestes pray for at the beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) His success in war.
(b) Success in his plan of revenge for his father's murder.
(c) Peace of mind.
(d) Safe voyage overseas.
11. What does somber information does the chorus remind the herald of?
(a) People in Mycenae have been grieving for their loved ones at war.
(b) Clytemnestra has been unfaithful to her husband.
(c) Agamemnon does not wish to come home.
(d) There are no princes and princesses left in the city.
12. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
(a) His reign as king.
(b) Another battle at sea.
(c) The journey home.
(d) The sacrifices to the gods.
13. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
(b) The leader of the chorus.
(d) The Watchman.
14. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
(a) The death of Aegisthus.
(b) Her brother's return.
(c) Her mother's forgiveness.
(d) Menelaus's vengeance on Cltemnestra.
15. How does part of the chorus react to the death of Agamemnon?
(a) They are indifferent.
(b) They grieve for their king.
(c) They are joyous.
(d) They believe he got what he deserved.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Electra know the offering on the tomb came from Orestes?
2. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
3. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
4. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
5. According to Agamemnon, what was the cause of Troy's being "ground into dust?"
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)