|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
(c) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
(d) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
2. What is the herald's opinion on Troy and Paris?
(a) Paris should have surrendered and the city left untouched.
(b) It is a tragedy.
(c) The city should have turned Paris over to the Greeks.
(d) They got what they deserved.
3. Whom does Agamemnon tell Clytemnestra to greet and treat well?
4. How is Aegisthus related to the house of Atreus?
(a) He is the cousin of Atreus.
(b) He is the husband of Atreus's daughter.
(c) He is the son of Atreus.
(d) He is the nephew of Atreus.
5. What does somber information does the chorus remind the herald of?
(a) Agamemnon does not wish to come home.
(b) There are no princes and princesses left in the city.
(c) People in Mycenae have been grieving for their loved ones at war.
(d) Clytemnestra has been unfaithful to her husband.
6. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
(a) His ship is lost after a storm.
(b) He has returns home safely.
(c) He was killed in battle.
(d) His men mutinied against him on the return home.
7. What past events does Cassandra see in a vision?
(a) The tragedies of the house of Atreus.
(b) The kidnapping of Helen.
(c) The fall of Troy.
(d) The death of Achilles.
8. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
(a) Allow Agamemnon to be buried without any offerings made to the gods.
(b) Allow her to retire.
(c) Allow her son to return.
(d) Allow Aegisthus to rule Mycenae.
9. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
(a) The journey home.
(b) Another battle at sea.
(c) The sacrifices to the gods.
(d) His reign as king.
10. What does part of the chorus suggest to Clytemnestra about her actions when they confront her?
(a) She has awakened the Furies.
(b) She has ended the curse.
(c) She has begun another curse.
(d) She is merely continuing the curse.
11. What future events does Cassandra foresee after she sees the past?
(a) She sees the murder of herself and Agamemnon by Clytemnestra.
(b) She sees herself escaping the city.
(c) She sees herself ruling Mycenae with Clytemnestra's lover.
(d) She sees herself as queen of Mycenae.
12. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
(a) She is not a holy woman.
(b) She is an inexperienced queen.
(c) She is a woman.
(d) She is not faithful to her husband.
13. How does Agamemnon agree to walk on the carpet?
(b) Carrying his wife.
(c) On a horse.
(d) In his boots.
14. What does Electra find when she wonders aloud if her brother has returned?
(a) Pylades' pack.
(b) A campfire.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
(d) Orestes and Pylades' footprints.
15. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(a) Maidens to pray.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
(d) Blasphemous offerings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the chorus's meditations on life at the end of the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
2. According to Clytemnestra, where are the signals that the man on the roof was watching for?
3. What does Electra find on her father's tomb?
4. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
5. When does the second play take place?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)