|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes leave behind at his father's tomb in tribute ?
(a) A lock of his hair.
(b) His sword.
(c) His sister's letters.
(d) A book of verse.
2. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
(b) The homecoming.
(c) Victory at war.
(d) The blessings of the gods.
3. What does Orestes wonder about the women approaching his father's tomb?
(a) He wonders if they are there to desecrate the tomb.
(b) He wonders if they are there to celebrate his father's life.
(c) He wonders if they are there to move his father's body to safety.
(d) He wonders if they are there to mourn his father or a new tragedy.
4. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
(a) His ship is lost after a storm.
(b) He has returns home safely.
(c) He was killed in battle.
(d) His men mutinied against him on the return home.
5. In the first part of the first play, what signal is the man on the roof looking for?
(a) A ship.
(b) A moonbeam.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) An arrow.
6. What was Apollo's reaction to Cassandra not meeting his expectations when he granted her with a gift?
(a) He turned the other gods against her.
(b) He impregnated her, shaming her family.
(c) He took away her gift of prophecy.
(d) He cursed her to speak the truth but never to be believed.
7. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
(a) He brings news of Iphigenia.
(b) He brings news of Agamemnon.
(c) He brings news of Aegisthus.
(d) He brings news of Orestes.
8. What future events does Cassandra foresee after she sees the past?
(a) She sees the murder of herself and Agamemnon by Clytemnestra.
(b) She sees herself ruling Mycenae with Clytemnestra's lover.
(c) She sees herself as queen of Mycenae.
(d) She sees herself escaping the city.
9. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
(a) Clytemnestra did all the work in murdering Agamemnon.
(b) He is not of royal blood.
(c) He was not fit to be a soldier.
(d) He is half the man that Agamemnon was.
10. How does Agamemnon make his entrance?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a horse-cart.
(c) On horse back.
(d) In a chariot.
11. To what does the chorus compare Troy after the herald exits?
(a) A new baby.
(b) An old man.
(c) A beloved, though ungrateful child.
(d) A wise king with a terrible advisor.
12. How does part of the chorus react to the death of Agamemnon?
(a) They are joyous.
(b) They believe he got what he deserved.
(c) They grieve for their king.
(d) They are indifferent.
13. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
(a) Her long hair.
(b) Her royal jewelry.
(c) The chains Agamemnon put around her.
(d) The crest of her family.
14. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(b) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
(c) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
(d) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
15. Why does Agamemnon walk inside his palace the way he does?
(a) He believes it is more touching to walk in together.
(b) He believes it is more humbling.
(c) He does not care about Clytemnestra's feelings on the matter.
(d) He believes it is grander.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
2. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
3. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
4. What does Orestes pray for at the beginning of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. Who comprises the group of women at Agamemnon's tomb?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)