|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
(a) Her long hair.
(b) The chains Agamemnon put around her.
(c) Her royal jewelry.
(d) The crest of her family.
2. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
(a) Her mother's salvation.
(b) The return of her family.
(c) The death of her father's murderers.
(d) Her own freedom.
3. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
4. What do the female attendants lay on the ground for Agamemnon to walk upon?
(a) A purple cloth.
(b) A white cloth.
(c) A red cloth.
(d) A gold cloth.
5. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
(a) They do not know whether to stop the murder or let it be.
(b) They do not know if there are gods walking among them.
(c) They do not know if Cassandra spoke the truth.
(d) They do not know if Agamemnon or Clytemnestra is the more vicious of the two rulers.
6. What does Clytemnestra remind the chorus to do after Aegisthus's outburst?
(a) Pray to the gods.
(b) Make offerings for Agamemnon's soul.
(c) Never tell anyone what they witnessed.
(d) Keep to their place.
7. According to the chorus, what was Paris's crime?
(a) Breaking the laws of nature.
(b) Following his heart.
(c) Kidnapping Helen to break the peace.
(d) Following the will of the gods.
8. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
(a) The journey home.
(b) His reign as king.
(c) The sacrifices to the gods.
(d) Another battle at sea.
9. What does Clytemnestra's entrance reveal in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) The ghost of her daughter is following her.
(b) Orestes has returned.
(c) Aegisthus is preparing to murder her.
(d) Agamemnon and Cassandra are murdered.
10. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
11. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
(a) He says that it is clearly meant for someone else.
(b) He says it is too poor for a king.
(c) He says it is suited for gods, not mortals.
(d) He does not find it unsuitable.
12. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(b) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(c) As well as she could.
(d) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
13. What does the herald ask of the gods?
(a) He asks that they send a sign for whether he should leave the city.
(b) He asks that they continue to bless Agamemnon on his return home.
(c) He asks that they send Agamemmon good winds for his journey.
(d) He asks that they bless Clytemnestra and her family.
14. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(b) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
(c) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
(d) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
15. Who accompanies Orestes to Agamemnon's tomb in the beginning of the second play?
(d) An oracle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
2. Why does Agamemnon walk inside his palace the way he does?
3. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
4. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
5. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)