|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does the herald thank the gods?
(a) He thanks them for having such a benevolent queen.
(b) He thanks them for sending him his wife.
(c) He thanks them for speaking to him.
(d) He thanks them for blessing him and the army.
2. What is Cassandra's final prayer?
(a) Her death will be avenged.
(b) She will be remembered.
(c) Athena will protect her.
(d) Apollo will forgive her.
3. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(a) Offerings to the gods.
(c) Maidens to pray.
(d) Blasphemous offerings.
4. What is Clytemnestra's final reaction to Cassandra?
(a) She grows angry and goes inside.
(b) She begs the princess for forgiveness for her husband's actions.
(c) She tries to help the princess down from the chariot.
(d) She begs the princess to leave.
5. What kept Agamemnon from leaving for Troy right away?
(a) No wind.
(b) He did not wish to leave his family.
(c) He did not feel he had probable cause to go to Troy.
(d) A prophecy.
6. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
7. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
8. In the first part of the first play, according to Clytemnestra, what does Agamemnon have yet to endure?
(a) The sacrifices to the gods.
(b) Another battle at sea.
(c) His reign as king.
(d) The journey home.
9. To what does the chorus compare Troy after the herald exits?
(a) A beloved, though ungrateful child.
(b) An old man.
(c) A wise king with a terrible advisor.
(d) A new baby.
10. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A child's game.
(b) A footrace.
(c) A horse race.
(d) A sailing ship.
11. What does Orestes wonder about the women approaching his father's tomb?
(a) He wonders if they are there to mourn his father or a new tragedy.
(b) He wonders if they are there to move his father's body to safety.
(c) He wonders if they are there to desecrate the tomb.
(d) He wonders if they are there to celebrate his father's life.
12. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
13. Whom does Agamemnon tell Clytemnestra to greet and treat well?
14. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is a priestess of Athena.
(b) She is a Trojan princess.
(c) She is Helen's half sister.
(d) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
15. What future events does Cassandra foresee after she sees the past?
(a) She sees the murder of herself and Agamemnon by Clytemnestra.
(b) She sees herself as queen of Mycenae.
(c) She sees herself ruling Mycenae with Clytemnestra's lover.
(d) She sees herself escaping the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
2. Why does Cassandra walk into the palace?
3. What is Cassandra's reaction to Clytemnestra?
4. Whom does Orestes wonder might be leading the crowd of women coming to Agamemnon's tomb?
5. Who is the first character to speak in "The Oresteia"?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)