|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About whom does the chorus ask the herald for news?
2. What does Clytemnestra try to get Cassandra to do in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Drink some wine.
(b) Greet her properly.
(c) Leave the city.
(d) Enter the palace.
3. What, according to the herald, is worth the suffering of the soldiers?
(b) Victory at war.
(c) The homecoming.
(d) The blessings of the gods.
4. What does Electra find on her father's tomb?
(a) A lock of Orestes' hair.
(b) A book of verse.
(c) Orestes' sword.
(d) Letters she wrote to her brother.
5. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
(a) Troy has been defeated.
(b) Agamemnon has died.
(c) Menelaus will be taking over Mycenae.
(d) Troy has defeated the Greeks.
6. According to the chorus, what is the only thing Electra can pray for while at Agamemnon's grave?
(a) Her mother's salvation.
(b) Her own freedom.
(c) The return of her family.
(d) The death of her father's murderers.
7. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) She wishes to have another child to take over for her.
(b) She wishes to live peacefully.
(c) She wishes to conquer the next city.
(d) She wishes to retire as queen.
8. What do the female attendants lay on the ground for Agamemnon to walk upon?
(a) A purple cloth.
(b) A red cloth.
(c) A white cloth.
(d) A gold cloth.
9. What is the function of the herald at the beginning of the second part of the first play?
(a) He brings news of Agamemnon.
(b) He brings news of Aegisthus.
(c) He brings news of Orestes.
(d) He brings news of Iphigenia.
10. What does Clytemnestra assume about Cassandra?
(a) Cassandra is being belligerent.
(b) Cassandra is deaf.
(c) Cassandra is not very smart.
(d) Cassandra does not understand what is being said.
11. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
12. When does the second play take place?
(a) Weeks after Agamemnon's death.
(b) Hours after Agamemnon's death.
(c) Several years after Agamemnon's death.
(d) Several days after Agamemnon's death.
13. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
14. For which family member's sake did Agamemnon go to Troy?
15. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Clytemnestra, what did she watch for while Agamemnon was gone?
2. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
3. What was Apollo's reaction to Cassandra not meeting his expectations when he granted her with a gift?
4. What advice does Electra ask of the chorus while at her father's tomb?
5. What reasoning did Clytemnestra give for exiling a certain person before the events of "The Agamemnon"?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)