|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
(a) A child's game.
(b) A footrace.
(c) A horse race.
(d) A sailing ship.
2. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
(a) The offerings come from a loyal follower.
(b) The offerings come from a detached subject.
(c) The offerings come from Clytemnestra as a loving wife .
(d) The offerings come from Electra as an angry daughter.
3. While mourning her father at his grave, what does Electra pray for the most?
(a) Her brother's return.
(b) The death of Aegisthus.
(c) Menelaus's vengeance on Cltemnestra.
(d) Her mother's forgiveness.
4. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
5. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
6. According to Clytemnestra, what did she watch for while Agamemnon was gone?
(a) She watched for any sign from the gods.
(b) She kept watch for any word of her husband.
(c) She watched the horizon every day for his ship.
(d) She watched the moon to see if the gods would tell her anything through it.
7. For what does Aegisthus thank the gods in the fifth part of the first play?
(b) Their benevolence.
(d) The chorus.
8. How does part of the chorus react to the death of Agamemnon?
(a) They believe he got what he deserved.
(b) They grieve for their king.
(c) They are indifferent.
(d) They are joyous.
9. Whom did Clytemnestra send into exile?
10. Who comprises the group of women at Agamemnon's tomb?
(b) Family servants who have been with them for years.
(c) Priestesses of Apollo.
(d) Female Trojans whom Agamemnon took prisoner.
11. How do the women describe Clytemnestra in their first appearance in "The Libation Bearers"?
12. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
13. What has Clytemnestra placed at all the shrines in Mycenae?
(b) Maidens to pray.
(c) Offerings to the gods.
(d) Blasphemous offerings.
14. What does Clytemnestra's entrance reveal in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Orestes has returned.
(b) The ghost of her daughter is following her.
(c) Aegisthus is preparing to murder her.
(d) Agamemnon and Cassandra are murdered.
15. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
(a) His thoughts of his wife.
(b) His thoughts of his children.
(c) His thoughts of his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her first appearance, Clytemnestra claims the chorus does not believe her. On what grounds does she base this claim?
2. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
3. What is Clytemnestra's plan for ruling Mycenae at the end of the Agamemnon?
4. What does Cassandra remove from her person in the fourth part of the first play?
5. What is Clytemnestra's final reaction to Cassandra?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)