|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the herald and the chorus, what has happened to Agamemnon's brother?
(a) His ship is lost after a storm.
(b) He was killed in battle.
(c) He has returns home safely.
(d) His men mutinied against him on the return home.
2. What does Clytemnestra's entrance reveal in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Agamemnon and Cassandra are murdered.
(b) Aegisthus is preparing to murder her.
(c) The ghost of her daughter is following her.
(d) Orestes has returned.
3. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
(a) He was not fit to be a soldier.
(b) He is not of royal blood.
(c) He is half the man that Agamemnon was.
(d) Clytemnestra did all the work in murdering Agamemnon.
4. To what does the chorus compare Troy after the herald exits?
(a) A new baby.
(b) An old man.
(c) A beloved, though ungrateful child.
(d) A wise king with a terrible advisor.
5. What does Orestes wonder about the women approaching his father's tomb?
(a) He wonders if they are there to celebrate his father's life.
(b) He wonders if they are there to desecrate the tomb.
(c) He wonders if they are there to move his father's body to safety.
(d) He wonders if they are there to mourn his father or a new tragedy.
6. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
(a) He claims to have planned Agamemnon's death.
(b) He claims to have killed Agamemnon.
(c) He claims to have killed Cassandra.
(d) He claims to have bested Apollo in a competition.
7. What had Clytemnestra told her daughter to say in her prayers before she comes to the tomb in the second play?
(a) The offerings come from a detached subject.
(b) The offerings come from Electra as an angry daughter.
(c) The offerings come from a loyal follower.
(d) The offerings come from Clytemnestra as a loving wife .
8. Towards the end of the first play, what does the chorus tell Clytemnestra they refuse to do?
(a) Allow Agamemnon to be buried without any offerings made to the gods.
(b) Allow her to retire.
(c) Allow her son to return.
(d) Allow Aegisthus to rule Mycenae.
9. What does Orestes leave behind at his father's tomb in tribute ?
(a) His sword.
(b) A lock of his hair.
(c) His sister's letters.
(d) A book of verse.
10. To whom does Cassandra initially cry out?
11. To whom does Orestes pray while at his father's tomb?
(a) Hermes and Zeus.
(b) Aphrodite and Diana.
(c) Hera and Demeter.
(d) Athena and Apollo.
12. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
(a) She wishes to live peacefully.
(b) She wishes to conquer the next city.
(c) She wishes to retire as queen.
(d) She wishes to have another child to take over for her.
13. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
(a) Troy has defeated the Greeks.
(b) Troy has been defeated.
(c) Menelaus will be taking over Mycenae.
(d) Agamemnon has died.
14. In the first play, how is the chorus described in the narration?
(a) A group of old men.
(b) A group of young men.
(c) A group of holy men.
(d) A group of young women.
15. Whom does Orestes wonder might be leading the crowd of women coming to Agamemnon's tomb?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
2. For what does Clytemnestra scold the chorus in the second part of the first play?
3. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
4. What interrupts the chorus's meditations on life at the end of the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
5. What was Apollo's reaction to Cassandra not meeting his expectations when he granted her with a gift?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)