|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Electra know the offering on the tomb came from Orestes?
(a) His hair looks just like her own.
(b) The sword has the family crest on it.
(c) She wrote the letters to her brother.
(d) She gave the book to her brother.
2. What goddess demanded Iphigenia in sacrifice?
3. What does the herald ask of the gods?
(a) He asks that they bless Clytemnestra and her family.
(b) He asks that they continue to bless Agamemnon on his return home.
(c) He asks that they send a sign for whether he should leave the city.
(d) He asks that they send Agamemmon good winds for his journey.
4. How do the women describe Clytemnestra in their first appearance in "The Libation Bearers"?
5. What does Aegisthus brag about to the chorus?
(a) He claims to have bested Apollo in a competition.
(b) He claims to have killed Agamemnon.
(c) He claims to have killed Cassandra.
(d) He claims to have planned Agamemnon's death.
6. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
(a) They do not know if Troy has truly fallen.
(b) They do not know if Agamemnon knows that his wife has not been faithful.
(c) They do not know if there is a Trojan assassin waiting for them.
(d) They do not know if Agamemnon's return is as joyful as they believed.
7. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
(a) She argues that she cannot be cursed again.
(b) She argues that there never was a curse.
(c) She argues that she ended the curse.
(d) She argues that the Furies will not hurt her.
8. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
9. According to Agamemnon, what kept him strong during the war?
(a) His thoughts of his home.
(c) His thoughts of his wife.
(d) His thoughts of his children.
10. What god does the leader of the chorus praise for Agamemnon's victory?
11. According to Clytemnestra, where are the signals that the man on the roof was watching for?
(a) In trees.
(b) On top of mountains.
(c) In caves.
(d) On ships strewn throughout the oceans.
12. What is Aegisthus's reaction when the chorus brings up Clytemnestra and her role in the murders?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He goes back inside.
(c) He threatens them violently.
(d) He meekly agrees.
13. What message does Clytemnestra send to Agamemnon through the herald?
(a) She is pregnant with his child.
(b) She does not wish to see him.
(c) She has been loyal and faithful.
(d) She wants to take him to Apollo's temple for blessings.
14. When does the second play take place?
(a) Hours after Agamemnon's death.
(b) Several days after Agamemnon's death.
(c) Several years after Agamemnon's death.
(d) Weeks after Agamemnon's death.
15. What does Clytemnestra's entrance reveal in the fifth part of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) Orestes has returned.
(b) The ghost of her daughter is following her.
(c) Aegisthus is preparing to murder her.
(d) Agamemnon and Cassandra are murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the herald thank the gods?
2. Who comprises the group of women at Agamemnon's tomb?
3. What news does Clytemnestra initially bring the chorus?
4. What does Clytemnestra wish for herself and her country at the end of the Agamemnon?
5. After receiving news of the fall of Troy, which Trojan does the chorus agree got what he deserved?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)