|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Play 1, Part 3 (p.133-140).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lineage of the woman with Agamemnon in the third part of the first play?
(a) She is the daughter of the queen of the Amazons.
(b) She is a priestess of Athena.
(c) She is a Trojan princess.
(d) She is Helen's half sister.
2. What reasoning did Clytemnestra give for exiling a certain person before the events of "The Agamemnon"?
(a) She wanted to keep her son safe from Trojan assassins.
(b) She was afraid that gods would smite her son.
(c) She was afraid her daughter might tempt her lover.
(d) She wanted him out of the way of her lover's ascension.
3. According to Clytemnestra's message to the herald, how has she kept her husband's house?
(a) Safe and welcoming upon his return.
(b) As well as she could.
(c) She has been overwhelmed by the responsibilities of it.
(d) She has given it over to someone else for safekeeping.
4. Why is the herald so joyful?
(a) The gods have spoken to him.
(b) He is gotten married.
(c) He is home in Mycenae.
(d) Clytemnestra favors him.
5. What feelings suddenly strike the chorus after Agamemnon enters his palace?
(a) They have feelings of joy.
(b) They have feelings of sickness.
(c) They have feelings of hysteria.
(d) They have feelings of foreboding.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the leader of the chorus praise Agamemnon upon his return?
2. What does Agamemnon find unsuitable about his welcome?
3. What city does Clytemnestra describe as being ruined, burned, and full of mourning for the dead?
4. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
5. What does the signal that the man on the roof sees mean?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)