|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many square feet of greenhouse makes up Kerry's Bromeliads?
2. When did Robert Fuchs begin growing orchids professionally?
3. What is a tree native to Puebla, Mexico and classified in the flowering plant family Lauraceae along with cinnamon, camphor and bay laurel?
4. One of the most notorious plant crimes in Florida occurred when someone stole prize-winning orchids worth how much from the R. F. Orchids shadehouse?
5. What kind of plants did Gary Zill own a good number of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does CITES stand for? What conflict do people have about CITES' regulations?
2. What was the result of many poachers taking plants from swamps in south Florida?
3. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
4. What is the history of the origin of the Seminole Indians? When had they largely moved from Florida?
5. What is the only way into the Fakahatchee Strand? How was the road built?
6. Who was Osceola?
7. What decision did the judge reach in Laroche's case?
8. What did Susan envy about the orchid growers and collectors in Fortunes?
9. What nursery had the Fennells owned? Why had they closed it?
10. What did the Gulf American Company sell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Susan Orlean and John Laroche in the narrative. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the fauna and flora of the Fakahatchee Strand. What dangerous animals must one be wary of in the swamps?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the world of contemporary plant and orchid collecting. How many orchid collectors are there today? Has this changed considerably?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)