|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The owners of the Orchid Jungle won how much money in the Florida state lottery?
2. Where was Osceola tricked and trapped on New Year's Day?
3. At the height of his smuggling days, Lee Moore had his own plane, two Lincoln Continentals, a large house and how much money in the bank?
4. Where was Osceola born?
5. What is the only way to reach the Fakahatchee Strand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of many poachers taking plants from swamps in south Florida?
2. What did Tom Fennell say of Laroche's plan with the Ghost Orchid?
3. Where did Susan go to hear Martin Motes speak? Who did she meet there?
4. What giant nursery did Tom Fennell take Susan to? What did they see there?
5. Describe Robert Fuchs' family. When had they begun in the orchid business?
6. Who had traveled to Washington D. C. on horseback to repeal a law amongst the Seminoles?
7. Discuss the beginning history of the Fakahatchee Strand described in The Good Life.
8. Who did Martin Motes take Susan to meet in Fortunes? What was Susan's impression?
9. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
10. What did Susan envy about the orchid growers and collectors in Fortunes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Susan Orlean and John Laroche in the narrative. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the figure of John Laroche. When was Laroche's trial in Florida? How old is Laroche?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that the Ghost Orchid plays in the plot of Orlean's narrative. How does the elusive Ghost Orchid drive the author and narrator in her quest?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)