|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Gary Zill's nursery?
2. What was Osceola named at birth?
3. How many greenhouses in the Orchid Jungle were destroyed by Hurricane Andrew?
4. What is Lee Moore's profession, according to CITES and the US Government?
5. What did Laroche move on to after leaving the plant world behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
2. What did Motes teach Susan about orchid breeding and monopolies?
3. What nursery had the Fennells owned? Why had they closed it?
4. What does CITES stand for? What conflict do people have about CITES' regulations?
5. What giant nursery did Tom Fennell take Susan to? What did they see there?
6. What plant smuggler did Susan meet in Barbecued Doves? What did his wife talk about?
7. What decision did the judge reach in Laroche's case?
8. What is the history of the origin of the Seminole Indians? When had they largely moved from Florida?
9. How successful had the plant smuggler from Barbecued Doves been in his high time?
10. Who had traveled to Washington D. C. on horseback to repeal a law amongst the Seminoles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John Laroche's car accident and the impact of Hurricane Andrew on Florida. When did Andrew hit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the orchid family. What makes orchids special and different from other plants and collectible flowers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biology and history of the Ghost Orchid. How many Ghost Orchids are found in nurseries today?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)