|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of Tom Fennell's neighbors had bell peppers worth how much money stolen from his fields?
2. Whose family had owned the Orchid Jungle before winning the lottery?
3. Robert Fuchs is from a family that has been growing orchids for how many generations?
4. Who got into an altercation with Fuchs, accusing him of being favored by the judges and telling the others that Fuchs had tried to bribe him when he was a judge?
5. What kind of plants did Gary Zill own a good number of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What orchid show did Susan attend in Fortunes? Who did she see there?
2. What did Tom Fennell say of Laroche's plan with the Ghost Orchid?
3. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids? What is revealed of them in The Good Life?
4. What about Laroche did Susan marvel about in Fortunes? What did Laroche go on to work with after plants?
5. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
6. Describe plant poaching in south Florida. What examples does Susan provide in Plant Crimes?
7. What does CITES stand for? What conflict do people have about CITES' regulations?
8. Who had traveled to Washington D. C. on horseback to repeal a law amongst the Seminoles?
9. Describe Robert Fuchs' family. When had they begun in the orchid business?
10. Where did Susan go to hear Martin Motes speak? Who did she meet there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery used in the narrative. How does Orlean describe orchids symbolically and with personality? How does this affect the tone of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the American Orchid Society gala which Susan attended. Where did the gala take place? Who was in attendance?
Essay Topic 3
How was the orchid trade during Victorian times is different than it is today? What dangers existed during that period? Are there dangers in hunting today?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)