|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monkeys are the genus Lagothrix of New World monkeys, usually placed in the family Atelidae?
2. Where did Susan meet nearly every other orchid grower she had met in Florida, including Martin Motes, Tom Fennell, Bob Fuchs, Frank Smith in Fortunes?
3. When was the Cattleya Orchid named?
4. What genus of plants were brought to south Florida as an ornamental landscape plant from Australia?
5. What nursery does Robert Fuchs own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
2. Describe Robert Fuchs' family. When had they begun in the orchid business?
3. What orchid show did Susan attend in Fortunes? Who did she see there?
4. What does CITES stand for? What conflict do people have about CITES' regulations?
5. What did the Gulf American Company sell?
6. What giant nursery did Tom Fennell take Susan to? What did they see there?
7. Who did Martin Motes take Susan to meet in Fortunes? What was Susan's impression?
8. How successful had the plant smuggler from Barbecued Doves been in his high time?
9. What did Tom Fennell say of Laroche's plan with the Ghost Orchid?
10. Discuss the beginning history of the Fakahatchee Strand described in The Good Life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Frederick Sander, Benedict Roezl and William Micholitz and orchid hunting in the Victorian era. What defined the Victorian era?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of orchid cloning. When did orchid cloning begin? How has it evolved?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the world of contemporary plant and orchid collecting. How many orchid collectors are there today? Has this changed considerably?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)