|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alligators have remained largely unchanged for how many years?
2. Where did Susan witness John Laroche's trial in The Millionaire's Hothouse?
3. What refers to a cell, cell product, or organism that is genetically identical to the unit or individual from which it was derived?
4. When does the Ghost Orchid blossom?
5. What is the largest genus in the orchid family Orchidaceae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legal loophole did Laroche hope to employ in taking the Ghost Orchids?
2. What does an orchid do when pollinating? What are orchids' habitat?
3. What demolished the remainder of Laroche's nursery before he worked for the Seminoles?
4. Who took Susan into the Fakahatchee Strand in A Green Hell? What was he like?
5. How had Laroche gone about building a nursery for the Seminoles?
6. When was the first orchid bloomed in England? Who began the collecting craze?
7. What events happened to John Laroche before he began working for the Seminoles?
8. What knowledge did Laroche reveal while at an orchid show in Gorgeous? What did Susan learn there?
9. Where did Susan arrive to watch Laroche's trial? What did he reveal of his plans?
10. Why did the park ranger tell Susan he believes people strive to see the Ghost Orchid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John Laroche's car accident and the impact of Hurricane Andrew on Florida. When did Andrew hit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the international orchid trade. When did the international orchid trade begin? Is it regulated? How?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify the narrative point of view of the narrative. From whose perspective is "The Orchid Thief" written? In what tense?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)