|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does CITES stand for?
2. When was John Laroche born?
3. Susan Orlean has been a staff writer for what periodical since 1992?
4. What kind of orchid was John Laroche accused of attempting to steal in The Millionaire's Hothouse?
5. What parts of the Ghost Orchid did Susan and her park ranger friend see in A Green Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the judge concur after hearing Laroche at trial in The Millionaire's Hothouse? Where did Laroche take Susan afterward?
2. Where had John Laroche first been inspired to grow plants?
3. What is the narrative point of view of the book? What is its tense and voice?
4. How had Laroche gone about building a nursery for the Seminoles?
5. When was the first orchid bloomed in England? Who began the collecting craze?
6. Why were the Seminoles looking for someone to start a nursery?
7. What did Susan think of Laroche after the orchid show in Gorgeous? What did he ask her?
8. What scene did Laroche cause at a friend's nursery in Cloning the Ghost?
9. What did John Laroche reveal about his love of orchids in The Millionaire's Hothouse?
10. Where did Susan first learn of John Laroche? Where did she go to learn more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the orchid family. What makes orchids special and different from other plants and collectible flowers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward. How did Ward's work change the plant-shipping industry?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the world of contemporary plant and orchid collecting. How many orchid collectors are there today? Has this changed considerably?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)