|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Charles Darwin's work of scientific literature which is considered to be the foundation of evolutionary biology?
2. What parts of the Ghost Orchid did Susan and her park ranger friend see in A Green Hell?
3. When did Charles Darwin publish Fertilization of Orchids?
4. When did Laroche tell Susan he had first gotten into plants and horticulture?
5. When was Susan Orlean born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Susan decide to go into the Fakahatchee Strand in A Green Hell? How did she feel entering it?
2. What knowledge did Laroche reveal while at an orchid show in Gorgeous? What did Susan learn there?
3. How many species of orchids are there? How are they named?
4. Where had John Laroche first been inspired to grow plants?
5. Who took Susan into the Fakahatchee Strand in A Green Hell? What was he like?
6. What legal loophole did Laroche hope to employ in taking the Ghost Orchids?
7. Where did Susan arrive to watch Laroche's trial? What did he reveal of his plans?
8. What does an orchid do when pollinating? What are orchids' habitat?
9. Why had Laroche chosen orchids for cultivation? What did he begin with?
10. What does Susan remark about the power of orchids on people in Orchid Fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery used in the narrative. How does Orlean describe orchids symbolically and with personality? How does this affect the tone of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the figure of John Laroche. When was Laroche's trial in Florida? How old is Laroche?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Seminole Tribe of Florida. When did they originate and where? How much land do the Seminoles have today?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)