|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The circuit judge in Laroche's case fined the Seminole Indians how much each?
2. Robert Fuchs' great-grandfather moved his family from where to Florida?
3. In what neighborhood of Miami does Lee Moore live?
4. Martin Motes was described by Susan Orlean as a recovering what?
5. How many square feet of greenhouse makes up Kerry's Bromeliads?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owned the Gulf American Corporation?
2. What refers to a species of flowering plant in the cashew family, Anacardiaceae, that is native to subtropical and tropical South America?
3. What company did Laroche go on to start after leaving the plant world behind?
4. The poisonous South American toad now can grow up to how many pounds?
5. Where is Denise from in Anyone Can Grow Orchids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plant smuggler did Susan meet in Barbecued Doves? What did his wife talk about?
2. What giant nursery did Tom Fennell take Susan to? What did they see there?
3. Where did Susan go to hear Martin Motes speak? Who did she meet there?
4. What did Motes teach Susan about orchid breeding and monopolies?
5. What did Susan envy about the orchid growers and collectors in Fortunes?
6. Discuss the beginning history of the Fakahatchee Strand described in The Good Life.
7. What orchid show did Susan attend in Fortunes? Who did she see there?
8. Describe Robert Fuchs' family. When had they begun in the orchid business?
9. What was the result of many poachers taking plants from swamps in south Florida?
10. How successful had the plant smuggler from Barbecued Doves been in his high time?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)