|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What company had begun logging the Fakahatchee Strand for cypress trees in the 1950s?
(a) Jones Forestry Inc.
(b) Steven's Timber Company.
(c) John Smith Swamp Logging.
(d) The Lee Tidewater Cypress Company.
2. When did Robert Fuchs begin growing orchids professionally?
3. What refers to a species of flowering plant in the cashew family, Anacardiaceae, that is native to subtropical and tropical South America?
(a) Brazilian pepper tree.
(b) Blue Dawn flower.
(c) Flame of the Forest.
(d) Amazon lily.
4. What is a tree native to Puebla, Mexico and classified in the flowering plant family Lauraceae along with cinnamon, camphor and bay laurel?
5. Who got into an altercation with Fuchs, accusing him of being favored by the judges and telling the others that Fuchs had tried to bribe him when he was a judge?
(a) Tom Fennell.
(b) Frank Smith.
(c) William Spencer Cavendish.
(d) Lee Moore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Denise to Motes Orchids in Anyone Can Grow Orchids?
2. Where is Denise from in Anyone Can Grow Orchids?
3. What was Osceola named at birth?
4. Who owned the Gulf American Corporation?
5. What nursery had Tom Fennell once owned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Martin Motes take Susan to meet in Fortunes? What was Susan's impression?
2. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids? What is revealed of them in The Good Life?
3. Describe plant poaching in south Florida. What examples does Susan provide in Plant Crimes?
4. What does CITES stand for? What conflict do people have about CITES' regulations?
5. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
6. What about Laroche did Susan marvel about in Fortunes? What did Laroche go on to work with after plants?
7. What decision did the judge reach in Laroche's case?
8. What is the history of the origin of the Seminole Indians? When had they largely moved from Florida?
9. Who was Osceola?
10. How successful had the plant smuggler from Barbecued Doves been in his high time?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)