|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owned the Gulf American Corporation?
(a) Julius and Leonard Rosen.
(b) Julian Rosen.
(c) Rose Julian.
(d) Rose and Julius Rosen.
2. The Florida Seminoles are descendants of the Yuchi, Creek and what tribe?
3. How many square feet of greenhouse makes up Kerry's Bromeliads?
4. What periodical had run an article about the Orchid Jungle, leading to its becoming a tourist attraction?
(a) The Florida Voice Times.
(b) The Florida Times-Union.
(c) The Miami Herald.
(d) The Tampa Tribune.
5. Who discovered the last species of Cattleya that would be discovered?
(a) Robert Fuchs.
(b) Frank Smith.
(c) John Lindley.
(d) Lee Moore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Susan marveled at Laroche's ability to do what with something obsessed over?
2. What time of smuggling did Lee Moore's wife regale when she met Susan?
3. Laroche's exile from the Fakahatchee Strand was extended how long by the court?
4. What was Osceola named at birth?
5. What refers to a species of grass in the genus Imperata which is placed in the subfamily Panicoideae, supertribe Andropogonodae, tribe Andropogoneae?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe plant poaching in south Florida. What examples does Susan provide in Plant Crimes?
2. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids? What is revealed of them in The Good Life?
3. What plant smuggler did Susan meet in Barbecued Doves? What did his wife talk about?
4. What decision did the judge reach in Laroche's case?
5. How successful had the plant smuggler from Barbecued Doves been in his high time?
6. What was the result of many poachers taking plants from swamps in south Florida?
7. Who did Martin Motes take Susan to meet in Fortunes? What was Susan's impression?
8. What did Susan envy about the orchid growers and collectors in Fortunes?
9. What did the Gulf American Company sell?
10. What does CITES stand for? What conflict do people have about CITES' regulations?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)