|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owned the Gulf American Corporation?
(a) Julius and Leonard Rosen.
(b) Julian Rosen.
(c) Rose and Julius Rosen.
(d) Rose Julian.
2. The poisonous South American toad now can grow up to how many pounds?
3. The circuit judge in Laroche's case fined the Seminole Indians how much each?
4. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids which didn't die?
(a) Put them in pots.
(b) Glued them to trees.
(c) Hid them.
(d) Sold them.
5. Robert Fuchs is from a family that has been growing orchids for how many generations?
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Fuchs is described as a tall, striking, handsome man who is both envied and disliked due to his what?
2. Laroche's exile from the Fakahatchee Strand was extended how long by the court?
3. What company did Laroche go on to start after leaving the plant world behind?
4. What is a tree native to Puebla, Mexico and classified in the flowering plant family Lauraceae along with cinnamon, camphor and bay laurel?
5. When did Robert Fuchs begin growing orchids professionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of many poachers taking plants from swamps in south Florida?
2. What decision did the judge reach in Laroche's case?
3. Who did Martin Motes take Susan to meet in Fortunes? What was Susan's impression?
4. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids? What is revealed of them in The Good Life?
5. What about Laroche did Susan marvel about in Fortunes? What did Laroche go on to work with after plants?
6. Describe plant poaching in south Florida. What examples does Susan provide in Plant Crimes?
7. What is the history of the origin of the Seminole Indians? When had they largely moved from Florida?
8. Where did Susan go to hear Martin Motes speak? Who did she meet there?
9. Discuss the beginning history of the Fakahatchee Strand described in The Good Life.
10. What did Motes teach Susan about orchid breeding and monopolies?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)