|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lee Moore's profession, according to CITES and the US Government?
(a) Tour guide.
(b) Drug smuggler.
(c) Plant smuggler.
2. Where is Denise from in Anyone Can Grow Orchids?
(b) Puerto Rico.
3. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids which didn't die?
(a) Glued them to trees.
(b) Hid them.
(c) Sold them.
(d) Put them in pots.
4. At the height of his smuggling days, Lee Moore had his own plane, two Lincoln Continentals, a large house and how much money in the bank?
5. What company had begun logging the Fakahatchee Strand for cypress trees in the 1950s?
(a) Jones Forestry Inc.
(b) The Lee Tidewater Cypress Company.
(c) John Smith Swamp Logging.
(d) Steven's Timber Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apes in the family Hylobatidae are often smuggled into Florida?
2. Where did Martin Motes drive to set up his display for the annual show in Fortunes?
3. What monkeys are the genus Lagothrix of New World monkeys, usually placed in the family Atelidae?
4. Where was Osceola tricked and trapped on New Year's Day?
5. Martin Motes was described by Susan Orlean as a recovering what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tom Fennell say of Laroche's plan with the Ghost Orchid?
2. What did Susan envy about the orchid growers and collectors in Fortunes?
3. Describe Robert Fuchs' family. When had they begun in the orchid business?
4. What about Laroche did Susan marvel about in Fortunes? What did Laroche go on to work with after plants?
5. What is the history of the origin of the Seminole Indians? When had they largely moved from Florida?
6. What did Laroche do with the stolen orchids? What is revealed of them in The Good Life?
7. Describe plant poaching in south Florida. What examples does Susan provide in Plant Crimes?
8. What are examples of things smuggled into Florida?
9. Where did Susan go to hear Martin Motes speak? Who did she meet there?
10. What orchid show did Susan attend in Fortunes? Who did she see there?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)