|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what strength did Hurricane Andrew hit south Florida?
(a) Category 1.
(b) Category 3.
(c) Category 5.
(d) Category 4.
2. Where did John Laroche grow up?
(a) Downtown Tampa.
(b) East Tampa.
(c) South Miami.
(d) North Miami.
3. What snake is also known as the water moccasin, swamp moccasin or black moccasin?
(a) Scarlet Kingsnake.
(d) Banded Water Snake.
4. Where did the park ranger which Susan met in A Green Hell take her?
(a) Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park.
(b) Amelia Island State Park.
(c) Falling Waters State Park.
(d) Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park.
5. John Laroche is introduced as being an eccentric person who is tall, skinny and handsome despite what?
(a) Missing an ear.
(b) Missing his left arm.
(c) Missing his front teeth.
(d) Missing eight fingers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Laroche, there is a lot of what to be made in the plant world?
2. What is the largest genus in the orchid family Orchidaceae?
3. What refers to an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state, and is legally prohibited?
4. What parts of the Ghost Orchid did Susan and her park ranger friend see in A Green Hell?
5. When did Charles Darwin publish Fertilization of Orchids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Susan go after the orchid show in Miami in Cloning the Ghost?
2. What events happened to John Laroche before he began working for the Seminoles?
3. Why had Laroche chosen orchids for cultivation? What did he begin with?
4. Who was William Micholitz? What story is related of him?
5. When was the first orchid bloomed in England? Who began the collecting craze?
6. What did Susan learn about the cloning of orchids in Gorgeous?
7. Who were Frederick Sander and Benedict Roezl?
8. Where had John Laroche first been inspired to grow plants?
9. Why did the park ranger tell Susan he believes people strive to see the Ghost Orchid?
10. How big is the Fakahatchee Strand? What plants and animals live there?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)