|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Hurricane Andrew hit the U.S. coast?
2. When does the Ghost Orchid blossom?
(a) Between May and August.
(b) Between December and April.
(c) Between May and September.
(d) Between June and August.
3. Where was Susan Orlean born?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Buffalo, New York.
(d) Cleveland, Ohio.
4. Where was John Laroche accused of stealing orchids from in The Millionaire's Hothouse?
(a) Trilahasee Marsh.
(b) Fakahatchee Strand.
(c) Stevenson Bog.
(d) Bauxahatchee Preserve.
5. What event had John Laroche attended which got him into plants and horticulture?
(a) The World Edmundoa Show.
(b) The World Bromeliad Show.
(c) The World Connellia Show.
(d) The World Orthophytum Show.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Frederick Sander born?
2. When was John Laroche born?
3. Who was put into a coma from the car accident John Laroche had?
4. Pollination of the Ghost Orchid is done by what?
5. What orchid hunter sent a telegram saying that the ship he was on had caught fire and was lost, yet Frederick Sander insisted he move on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe orchid hunting. When did this activity begin?
2. What events happened to John Laroche before he began working for the Seminoles?
3. What did the judge concur after hearing Laroche at trial in The Millionaire's Hothouse? Where did Laroche take Susan afterward?
4. Why did Susan decide to go into the Fakahatchee Strand in A Green Hell? How did she feel entering it?
5. What does an orchid do when pollinating? What are orchids' habitat?
6. What is special about the pollination of orchids?
7. How had Laroche gone about building a nursery for the Seminoles?
8. How many species of orchids are there? How are they named?
9. Why had Laroche chosen orchids for cultivation? What did he begin with?
10. Where did Susan first learn of John Laroche? Where did she go to learn more?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)