|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hurricane Andrew hit, Laroche had given up his nursery business forever, saying that he would die of what if he ever opened one up again?
(c) A broken heart.
(d) A heart attack.
2. What orchid hunter sent a telegram saying that the ship he was on had caught fire and was lost, yet Frederick Sander insisted he move on?
(a) Albert Millican.
(b) Benedict Roezl.
(c) William Micholitz.
(d) Tom Hart Dyke.
3. What did Laroche attempt to use to get in for free at the orchid show in Gorgeous?
(a) Susan's press pass.
(b) Orchid seedlings.
(c) An expired coupon.
(d) A fake student identification card.
4. What is a plant that grows upon another plant non-parasitically or sometimes upon some other object, derives its moisture and nutrients from the air and rain and sometimes from debris accumulating around it, and is found in the temperate zone?
5. When was Charles Darwin born?
6. Where did Susan attend an orchid show with Laroche in Cloning the Ghost?
(b) Key West.
7. Where did the park ranger which Susan met in A Green Hell take her?
(a) Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park.
(b) Falling Waters State Park.
(c) Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park.
(d) Amelia Island State Park.
8. Orchids are considered the most _____ flowering plants on earth.
9. When did Susan Orlean leave to go to Florida in The Millionaire's Hothouse?
10. How many genera are there in the orchid family?
11. In Orchid Fever, Susan writes that the international trade in orchids is more than how much per year?
(a) $700 million.
(b) $2 billion.
(c) $10 billion.
(d) $200 million.
12. What type of orchid produces a series of adjacent shoots which grow to a certain size, bloom and then stop growing, to be then replaced?
13. What is a modified or specialized leaf, especially one associated with a reproductive structure such as a flower, inflorescence axis, or cone scale?
14. The Fakahatchee Strand is 25 miles south of where?
(a) Gainesville, Florida.
(b) Naples, Florida.
(c) Jacksonville, Florida.
(d) Orlando, Florida.
15. How many species are in the Dendrobium genus of orchids?
Short Answer Questions
1. There are over how many known species of orchids?
2. What is the name of the family in which snapping turtles belong?
3. Pollination of the Ghost Orchid is done by what?
4. Where did Susan first read about John Laroche?
5. When did Charles Darwin publish Fertilization of Orchids?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)