|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much prison time does Sylder get for running whiskey?
2. Where does Sylder's car die while on his whiskey run?
3. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
4. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
5. What does Sylder's wife wonder about her husband when he returns from his drop-off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Marion Sylder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy waits until almost the end of the novel to reveal the name of the orchard keeper. Why does he wait until this point? What does it mean when the reader finally knows the true identity of the orchard keeper? What is happening in the orchard keeper's life that erases any more secrecy about the old man? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)