|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
2. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
3. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
4. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
5. With what other offense could John Wesley be charged?
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy waits until almost the end of the novel to reveal the name of the orchard keeper. Why does he wait until this point? What does it mean when the reader finally knows the true identity of the orchard keeper? What is happening in the orchard keeper's life that erases any more secrecy about the old man? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John Wesley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)