|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder's wife wonder about her husband when he returns from his drop-off?
2. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
3. Ownby states that the older he gets, _____________________.
4. In what branch of the armed forces did Sylder serve?
5. What offense was John Wesley told he had committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
2. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
3. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
4. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
5. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
6. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
7. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
8. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
9. What is the significance of cats in the story?
10. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Marion Sylder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)