|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
2. What is the name of Ownby's dog?
3. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
4. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
5. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
2. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
3. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
4. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
5. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
6. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
7. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
8. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
9. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
10. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of John Wesley, Ownby and Sylder. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of resistance to government intervention. Identify at least two examples about resistance to government intervention in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of resistance to government intervention.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)