|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for Ownby to show up at the store and for Gifford to arrest him?
2. What is the name of Ownby's dog?
3. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
4. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
5. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
2. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
3. What is the significance of cats in the story?
4. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
5. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
6. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
7. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
8. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
9. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's name?
10. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
THE ORCHARD KEEPER is written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy waits until almost the end of the novel to reveal the name of the orchard keeper. Why does he wait until this point? What does it mean when the reader finally knows the true identity of the orchard keeper? What is happening in the orchard keeper's life that erases any more secrecy about the old man? Explain.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)