|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ownby position himself to get off good shots at the officers?
2. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
3. What kind of animal do the boys have trapped in a cave?
4. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
5. For what was John Wesley arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
2. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
3. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
4. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
5. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
6. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
7. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
8. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
9. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
10. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE ORCHARD KEEPER is written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of John Wesley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)