|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals did the panther kitten's mother kill?
2. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
3. What type of animal devours the wildcat?
4. Whose hideout is in a cave?
5. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
2. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
3. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
4. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
5. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
6. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
7. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
8. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
9. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
10. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of John Wesley, Ownby and Sylder. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)