|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
2. What does John Wesley promise to take care of for Ownby?
3. Where is Ownby sent after being released from jail?
4. What is the widow Rattner's first name?
5. What does John Wesley say about Sylder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
2. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
3. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
4. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
5. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
6. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
7. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
8. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
9. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
10. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the orchard keeper What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)