|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle Ather's job?
2. What does Ownby want to bring with him when he is arrested?
3. What do the two men do with Ownby after they pick him up?
4. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
5. What does John Wesley tell Sylder about his traps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
2. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
3. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
4. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
5. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
6. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
7. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
8. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
9. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
10. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)