|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
2. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
3. Where is Ownby sent after being released from jail?
4. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
5. Why does Sylder feel a strong sense of doom as he tries to fall asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
2. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
3. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's name?
4. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
5. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
6. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
7. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
8. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
9. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
10. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Marion Sylder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)