|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
2. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
3. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
4. About what do Sylder and June question Jack the Runner?
5. What does the old man pass by on his way home from the orchard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
2. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
3. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
4. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
5. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
6. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
7. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
8. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
9. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
10. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy waits until almost the end of the novel to reveal the name of the orchard keeper. Why does he wait until this point? What does it mean when the reader finally knows the true identity of the orchard keeper? What is happening in the orchard keeper's life that erases any more secrecy about the old man? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)