Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks up the whiskey on the orchard keeper's property and takes it the rest of the way on its journey?
2. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
3. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
4. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
5. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
2. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
3. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
4. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
5. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
6. What is the significance of cats in the story?
7. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
8. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
9. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
10. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Marion Sylder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)