|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder crash into when he careens off the road?
2. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
3. Where is the old man that saw Sylder in the woods?
4. What does John Wesley take with him to check his traps?
5. Who is Kenneth Rattner's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
2. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
3. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
4. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
5. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
6. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
7. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
8. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
9. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
10. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)