Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks up the whiskey on the orchard keeper's property and takes it the rest of the way on its journey?
2. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
3. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
4. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
5. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
2. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
3. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
4. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
5. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
6. What is the significance of cats in the story?
7. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
8. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
9. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
10. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)