|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
2. What happens to Sylder's car on the way to Maryville?
3. With what does the man hit Sylder?
4. What does Sylder offer to give John Wesley?
5. What is the result of Sylder's crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
2. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
3. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
4. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
5. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
6. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
7. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
8. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
9. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
10. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,734 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)