|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man pass by on his way home from the orchard?
2. How many animal traps does John Wesley get for his dollar?
3. What is Sylder doing as he drives away from the crash?
4. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
5. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sylder after the flat tire is fixed?
2. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
3. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
4. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
5. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
6. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
7. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
8. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
9. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
10. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of John Wesley, Ownby and Sylder. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)