|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came about as a result of Prohibition?
2. How had Kenneth injured his leg?
3. What is Sylder doing as he drives away from the crash?
4. What was Sylder afraid of seeing outside his window at night?
5. What item does Kenneth claim to need when asked by the storekeep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
2. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
3. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
4. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
5. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
6. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
7. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
8. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
9. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
10. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)