|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
2. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
3. Where do the policemen begin their investigation?
4. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
5. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
2. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
3. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
4. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
5. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
6. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
7. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
8. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
9. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
10. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of the orchard keeper What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of John Wesley, Ownby and Sylder. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)