|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylder and John Wesley walk to the house of Sylder's friend, _____________.
2. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
3. How far is it to Atlanta from where Kenneth is now?
4. What had John Wesley bought from a storekeep some time ago?
5. Where did Garland Hobie hid whiskey as a boolegger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
2. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
3. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
4. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
5. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
6. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
7. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
8. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
9. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
10. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John Wesley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)