|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
2. What had John Wesley bought from a storekeep some time ago?
3. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
4. Which of the following is true about Kenneth Rattner's widow and son?
5. Who picks up the whiskey on the orchard keeper's property and takes it the rest of the way on its journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
2. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
3. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
4. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
5. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
6. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
7. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
8. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
9. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
10. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)