|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had originally shown Sylder the corpse in the pit?
2. What does the orchard keeper get out of a chest?
3. What does the old man pass by on his way home from the orchard?
4. Why does Sylder vomit in the woods?
5. What does the orchard keeper do after he discharges his shotgun shells?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
2. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
3. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
4. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
5. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
6. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
7. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
8. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
9. What happens to Sylder after the flat tire is fixed?
10. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)