|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came about as a result of Prohibition?
2. The town of Red Branch is in the ___________________ Mountains.
3. What item does Kenneth claim to need when asked by the storekeep?
4. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder was born?
5. Who saw Sylder arrive at the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
2. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
3. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
4. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
5. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
6. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
7. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
8. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
9. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
10. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)