|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
2. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
3. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
4. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
5. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sylder after the flat tire is fixed?
2. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
3. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
4. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
5. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
6. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
7. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
8. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
9. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
10. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of John Wesley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)