|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
2. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
3. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
4. Where did Garland Hobie hid whiskey as a boolegger?
5. What kind of animal does John Wesley kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
2. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
3. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
4. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
5. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
6. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
7. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
8. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
9. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
10. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE ORCHARD KEEPER is written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)