|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sylder driving so fast?
2. Which of the following is true about Kenneth Rattner's widow and son?
3. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
4. What is the result of Sylder's crash?
5. What is one of the major inconveniences of the Rattner house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
2. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
3. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
4. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
5. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
6. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
7. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
8. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
9. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
10. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of resistance to government intervention. Identify at least two examples about resistance to government intervention in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of resistance to government intervention.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)