|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
2. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
3. What is Sylder doing as this section of the novel begins?
4. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
5. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
2. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
3. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
4. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
5. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
6. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
7. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
8. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
9. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
10. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)