|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Kenneth claim to need when asked by the storekeep?
2. Who is driving the car that crashes in the woods?
3. How many animal traps does John Wesley get for his dollar?
4. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
5. The town of Red Branch is in the ___________________ Mountains.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
2. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
3. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
4. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
5. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
6. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
7. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
8. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
9. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
10. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of John Wesley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of John Wesley, Ownby and Sylder. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)