|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
2. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
3. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
4. Kenneth asks the storekeep for the distance to what city?
5. How far is it to Atlanta from where Kenneth is now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
2. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
3. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
4. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
5. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
6. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
7. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
8. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
9. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
10. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Marion Sylder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE ORCHARD KEEPER? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)