|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Sylder and June question Jack the Runner?
2. Gifford and ___________ are two local cops who investigate Sylder's crash.
3. How were men killed at the Green Fly Inn?
4. How much did John Wesley earn for the dead chickenhawk?
5. What kind of animal does John Wesley kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
2. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
3. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
4. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
5. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
6. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
7. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
8. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
9. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's name?
10. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of the orchard keeper What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)