|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder do with the dead body when he hears a truck coming?
2. What does the man in the car ask Sylder to do?
3. What do Sylder and June do when they find the two girls and a boy?
4. In what year was Marion Sylder born?
5. Sylder has an irrational fear of what type of animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
2. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
3. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
4. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
5. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
6. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
7. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
8. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
9. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
10. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)