|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kenneth asks the storekeep for the distance to what city?
2. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
3. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
4. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
5. What does John Wesley do after his mother goes to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
2. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
3. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
4. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
5. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
6. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
7. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
8. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
9. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
10. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy waits until almost the end of the novel to reveal the name of the orchard keeper. Why does he wait until this point? What does it mean when the reader finally knows the true identity of the orchard keeper? What is happening in the orchard keeper's life that erases any more secrecy about the old man? Explain.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)