|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
2. Kenneth asks the storekeep for the distance to what city?
3. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
4. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
5. What kind of job did Sylder have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
2. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
3. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
4. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
5. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
6. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
7. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
8. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
9. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
10. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy waits until almost the end of the novel to reveal the name of the orchard keeper. Why does he wait until this point? What does it mean when the reader finally knows the true identity of the orchard keeper? What is happening in the orchard keeper's life that erases any more secrecy about the old man? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)