|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saw Sylder arrive at the woods?
2. What does Sylder do with the dead body when he hears a truck coming?
3. What came about as a result of Prohibition?
4. How had Kenneth injured his leg?
5. What does John Wesley take with him to check his traps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
2. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
3. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
4. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
5. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
6. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
7. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
8. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
9. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
10. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the orchard keeper What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)