|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job did Sylder have?
2. What is Kenneth's ultimate decision?
3. What does the man in the car ask Sylder to do?
4. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
5. Where do the policemen begin their investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
2. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
3. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
4. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
5. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
6. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
7. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
8. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
9. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
10. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Gifford. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Gifford's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)