|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sylder vomit in the woods?
2. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
3. Where is Kenneth when he enters a bar?
4. Where does the orchard keeper go late at night?
5. What kind of car did Sylder crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
2. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
3. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
4. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
5. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
6. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
7. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
8. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
9. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
10. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kenneth Rattner. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)