|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal do the boys have trapped in a cave?
2. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
(a) Officer Gifford.
(b) Mildred Rattner.
(c) A welfare department agent.
(d) John Wesley.
3. Who is the storekeep that Gifford questions about Ownby?
4. How many police officers is Ownby accused of shooting?
5. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He hasn't shaved in days.
(b) He is badly beaten.
(c) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
(d) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much prison time does Sylder get for running whiskey?
2. What rouses the large cat in Ownby's outhouse?
3. In the war, Sylder lost part of his __________.
4. How did Sylder lose part of his toe?
5. Where does the large cat find refuge from the rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
2. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
3. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
4. What is the significance of cats in the story?
5. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
6. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
7. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
8. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
9. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
10. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)