|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ownby states that the older he gets, _____________________.
(a) the more memory he loses.
(b) the fewer things there are that he wants to do.
(c) the worse his eyesight gets.
(d) the worse his hearing gets.
2. Ownby tells John Wesley that there are some things that a person just has to do, because unless he does them he will have no _____________.
3. How much is a mink worth?
(a) 25 dollars.
(b) 5 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) 10 dollars.
4. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) A fox.
(b) A cardinal.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A pair of hunters.
5. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What extreme weather is Ownby navigating at the beginning of this section?
2. What do the boys do in the cave?
3. Where does the large cat go after it lunges at Mrs. Rattner?
4. Where does the orchard keeper drag some trees?
5. Which policeman has threatened John Wesley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
2. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
3. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
4. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
5. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
6. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
7. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
8. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
9. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
10. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)