|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could John Wesley be charged with aiding a criminal?
(a) He hid out a fugitive.
(b) He gave money to an accused murderer.
(c) The man he helped was a bootlegger.
(d) He gave a gun to a fugitive.
2. Why does Sylder feel a strong sense of doom as he tries to fall asleep?
(a) He worries that John Wesley will squeal on him.
(b) He thinks he has a fatal illness.
(c) He wonders why the orchard keeper was shooting the tank.
(d) He thinks Gifford will figure out who hit him.
3. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
4. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
(a) He doesn't want John Wesley to get in any trouble.
(b) It could mean more trouble for him if John Wesley did anything to Gifford.
(c) He wants John Wesley to stay out of it.
(d) All of these.
5. What do the boys do in the cave?
(a) Clean their guns.
(b) Play cards.
(c) Look at pictures of nude women.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Warn say the mink is probably worth now that it is mangled?
2. What do the police choose not to reveal to Mildred Rattner about her husband?
3. What does John Wesley promise to take care of for Ownby?
4. What is Uncle Ather's job?
5. What offense was John Wesley told he had committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
2. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
3. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
4. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
5. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
6. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
7. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
8. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
9. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
10. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)