|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) A fox.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A cardinal.
(d) A pair of hunters.
2. Why does Officer Legwater sift through the ashes in the peach pit?
(a) To find Rattner's platinum plate.
(b) To find Ownby's knife.
(c) To find Ownby's still parts.
(d) To find bullet casings.
3. In the war, Sylder lost part of his __________.
4. What is Uncle Ather's real name?
(a) Arthur Ownby.
(b) Arthur Ogilvy.
(c) Arthur Oglesby.
(d) Arthur Owens.
5. How does John Wesley manage to get into the jail to see Sylder?
(a) He breaks in during the night.
(b) He claims to be his nephew.
(c) He offers up evidence to the cops.
(d) He claims to be his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the widow Rattner's first name?
2. Uncle Ather tells the boys about a time when he caught a _______________.
3. Where does Ownby position himself to get off good shots at the officers?
4. Whose hideout is in a cave?
5. What animals is the wildcat prowling for at the beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
2. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
3. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
4. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
5. What is the significance of cats in the story?
6. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
7. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
8. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
9. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
10. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)