|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals is the wildcat prowling for at the beginning of this section?
2. Which of the following describes Ownby's demeanor while being questioned by the welfare agent?
(a) All of these.
3. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
(a) Mr. Eller.
(b) John Wesley.
4. Which of the following boys does John Wesley encounter?
(b) Warn Pulliam.
(c) Johnny Romines.
(d) All of these.
5. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He is badly beaten.
(b) He hasn't shaved in days.
(c) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
(d) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
2. Where does the large cat find refuge from the rain?
3. What does John Wesley say about Sylder?
4. What animals did the panther kitten's mother kill?
5. What type of animal devours the wildcat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
2. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
3. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
4. What is the significance of cats in the story?
5. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
6. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
7. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
8. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
9. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
10. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)