|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many police officers is Ownby accused of shooting?
2. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
3. What do the police choose not to reveal to Mildred Rattner about her husband?
(a) That he was having an affair.
(b) That he was wanted in three states.
(c) That he had another family in another state.
(d) That he committed suicide.
4. What is the widow Rattner's first name?
5. Why does Officer Legwater sift through the ashes in the peach pit?
(a) To find Ownby's still parts.
(b) To find bullet casings.
(c) To find Ownby's knife.
(d) To find Rattner's platinum plate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose hideout is in a cave?
2. Where does Sylder's car die while on his whiskey run?
3. Why is Ownby going to be arrested?
4. What type of animal devours the wildcat?
5. How much does Warn say the mink is probably worth now that it is mangled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
2. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
3. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
4. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
5. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
6. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
7. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
8. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
9. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
10. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)