|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animal devours the wildcat?
2. Why is Ownby going to be arrested?
(a) For gun smuggling.
(b) For murder.
(c) For bootlegging.
(d) For defacing the government tank.
3. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
(a) John Wesley.
(c) Mr. Eller.
4. How could the charges against John Wesley be dropped?
(a) If he got a good attorney.
(b) If he paid off the cops.
(c) They can't be dropped.
(d) If he would give information about Sylder.
5. How much does Warn say the mink would have been worth had it not been mangled?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dead animal does the large cat find?
2. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
3. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
4. Why does Gifford want to see Sylder?
5. What is Uncle Ather's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
2. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
3. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
4. What is the significance of cats in the story?
5. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
6. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
7. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
8. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
9. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
10. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)