|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper do as he drifts into thought?
(a) Cooks breakfast.
(b) Shines his boots.
(c) Flips through a magazine.
(d) Cleans his gun.
2. What does John Wesley tell Sylder about his traps?
(a) They have been confiscated.
(b) They are really producing.
(c) He bought more.
(d) He sold them.
3. Why do Gifford and some other policemen arrive at Ownby's house?
(a) To see if he needs anything.
(b) To question him.
(c) To take him to a funeral.
(d) To arrest him.
4. What does John Wesley promise to take care of for Ownby?
(a) His still.
(c) His house.
(d) His orchard.
5. Uncle Ather tells the boys about a time when he caught a _______________.
(a) panther kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ownby position himself to get off good shots at the officers?
2. With what other offense could John Wesley be charged?
3. What is Uncle Ather's job?
4. How much does Warn say the mink would have been worth had it not been mangled?
5. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
2. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
3. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
4. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
5. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
6. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
7. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
8. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
9. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
10. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)