|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is a mink worth?
(a) 100 dollars.
(b) 25 dollars.
(c) 5 dollars.
(d) 10 dollars.
2. Where does the large cat go after it lunges at Mrs. Rattner?
(a) In search of food.
(b) Back to the outhouse.
(c) Off toward the woods.
(d) Toward Uncle Ather's house.
3. Where does Sylder's car die while on his whiskey run?
(a) On the bridge.
(b) On the interstate.
(c) In front of the police station.
(d) On a muddy road.
4. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
5. Which policeman has threatened John Wesley?
Short Answer Questions
1. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
2. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
3. How often does Gifford return to the store to question Huffaker about Ownby?
4. What animals did the panther kitten's mother kill?
5. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
2. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
3. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
4. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
5. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
6. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
7. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
8. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
9. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
10. What is the significance of cats in the story?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)