|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
(c) John Wesley.
2. What is Sylder's destination as he drives tonight?
(a) A bar to meet his friends.
(b) The police station to turn himself in.
(c) A house to drop off whiskey.
(d) A hotel to meet his mistress.
3. Ownby states that the older he gets, _____________________.
(a) the worse his hearing gets.
(b) the fewer things there are that he wants to do.
(c) the worse his eyesight gets.
(d) the more memory he loses.
4. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
5. Where does the large cat go after it lunges at Mrs. Rattner?
(a) Back to the outhouse.
(b) Toward Uncle Ather's house.
(c) Off toward the woods.
(d) In search of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two men do with Ownby after they pick him up?
2. What kind of animal do the boys have trapped in a cave?
3. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
4. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
5. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
2. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
3. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
4. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
5. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
6. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
7. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
8. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
9. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
10. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)