|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ownby sent after being released from jail?
(a) His sister's home.
(b) A medical hospital.
(c) A mental asylum.
2. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
(a) Trace the wrecked car to Sylder.
(b) Find Sylder's pick-up points.
(c) Find Sylder's house.
(d) Arrest a fourteen-year-old boy.
3. What dead animal does the large cat find?
4. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
(a) He hopes Gifford gets what he deserves.
(b) He is anxious to get back to his whiskey runs.
(c) He wants to repent.
(d) He wonders if his wife will bring lunch.
5. What has happened to the corpse in the peach pit?
(a) It is still intact.
(b) It is partially decayed.
(c) It has been reduced to ashes.
(d) It is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many police officers is Ownby accused of shooting?
2. To whom does John Wesley show the mangled mink?
3. How much money does John Wesley leave for the chickenhawk even though he could not get the corpse?
4. What does the orchard keeper do as he drifts into thought?
5. Uncle Ather tells the boys about a time when he caught a _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
2. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
3. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
4. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
5. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
6. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
7. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
8. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's name?
9. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
10. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)