|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the orchard keeper drag some trees?
(a) To the lumberyard.
(b) To his moonshine still.
(c) To the back of his house.
(d) To the peach pit where Rattner's body was dumped.
2. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
3. Who is the storekeep that Gifford questions about Ownby?
4. Why do Gifford and some other policemen arrive at Ownby's house?
(a) To see if he needs anything.
(b) To take him to a funeral.
(c) To arrest him.
(d) To question him.
5. What does Ownby want to bring with him when he is arrested?
(a) His rifle.
(b) His dog, Scout.
(c) His moonshine jug.
(d) His knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
2. What do the police choose not to reveal to Mildred Rattner about her husband?
3. What does John Wesley find in his trap the next day?
4. Where does the large cat go after it lunges at Mrs. Rattner?
5. What is Sylder's destination as he drives tonight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
2. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
3. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's name?
4. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
5. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
6. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
7. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
8. What does the orchard keeper do on a snowy morning involving the peach pit?
9. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
10. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)