|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
2. Where does John Wesley go to visit Sylder?
3. What does the orchard keeper do as he drifts into thought?
(a) Flips through a magazine.
(b) Cleans his gun.
(c) Cooks breakfast.
(d) Shines his boots.
4. What do the police choose not to reveal to Mildred Rattner about her husband?
(a) That he was having an affair.
(b) That he was wanted in three states.
(c) That he committed suicide.
(d) That he had another family in another state.
5. What does the orchard keeper notice about the peach pit when he visits it?
(a) It is vacant.
(b) It is covered over with dirt.
(c) It is paved over.
(d) It is smoldering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal has been asleep in Ownby's outhouse?
2. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
3. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
4. How much prison time does Sylder get for running whiskey?
5. Where does Wylder get gas before going on another whiskey run?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
2. Why can the authorities not be absolutely certain that the corpse is that of Kenneth Rattner and what do they tell Rattner's widow?
3. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
4. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
5. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
6. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
7. Who are the boys that John Wesley meets and what do they do?
8. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
9. What is the significance of cats in the story?
10. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)