|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what was John Wesley arrested?
(a) Aiding a criminal.
(b) He was not arrested.
2. What does John Wesley find in his trap the next day?
3. With what other offense could John Wesley be charged?
(d) Aiding a criminal.
4. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
5. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
(a) Mr. Wren's.
(b) Widow Rennart's.
(d) Uncle Ather's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder's wife wonder about her husband when he returns from his drop-off?
2. Whose hideout is in a cave?
3. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
4. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
5. How did Sylder lose part of his toe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
2. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
3. What are John Wesley and Warn's speculation on what had happened to the mink?
4. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
5. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
6. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's name?
7. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
8. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
9. What is the significance of cats in the story?
10. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)