|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper do as he drifts into thought?
(a) Cooks breakfast.
(b) Cleans his gun.
(c) Shines his boots.
(d) Flips through a magazine.
2. What extreme weather is Ownby navigating at the beginning of this section?
(d) Torrential rain.
3. How many police officers is Ownby accused of shooting?
4. What does Sylder's wife wonder about her husband when he returns from his drop-off?
(a) Why his shoes are muddy.
(b) Why he is laughing.
(c) Why he has lipstick on his cheek.
(d) Why his coat is wet.
5. Whose hideout is in a cave?
(a) The orchard keeper.
(c) John Wesley's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal do John Wesley and Warn speculate must have mauled the mink?
2. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
3. What do the two men do with Ownby after they pick him up?
4. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
5. How does John Wesley manage to get into the jail to see Sylder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
2. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
3. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
4. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
5. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
6. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
7. What is the significance of cats in the story?
8. How does Sylder recall losing part of his toe in the war?
9. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
10. Describe Ownby's encounter with a welfare department agent in the jail.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)