|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
2. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
3. Where does John Wesley go to visit Sylder?
4. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
(a) Mr. Eller.
(b) John Wesley.
5. What dead animal does the large cat find?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes Ownby's demeanor while being questioned by the welfare agent?
2. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
3. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
4. Where does the large cat find refuge from the rain?
5. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCarthy wait until this point in the story to reveal the orchard keeper's formal name?
2. Describe the police attack on Ownby's house.
3. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
4. How is Sylder finally apprehended for bootlegging?
5. How does Arthur stand firm in an attempt to evade the police and find an even more isolated location?
6. How is the dead cat symbolic of Kenneth Rattner?
7. In addition to his traps, what does Warn point out to the other boys?
8. Why does Sylder stop at Officer Gifford's house on the way home from a whiskey run?
9. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
10. Does it appear that Arthur is completely anti-social?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)