|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the large cat go after it lunges at Mrs. Rattner?
(a) Toward Uncle Ather's house.
(b) Off toward the woods.
(c) Back to the outhouse.
(d) In search of food.
2. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He is badly beaten.
(b) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
(c) He hasn't shaved in days.
(d) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
3. What dead animal does the large cat find?
4. What is Uncle Ather's job?
(b) Orchard keeper.
5. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
2. What animals is the wildcat prowling for at the beginning of this section?
3. Uncle Ather tells the boys about a time when he caught a _______________.
4. Where does Wylder get gas before going on another whiskey run?
5. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
2. What is the significance of cats in the story?
3. Describe Ownby's arrest by Officer Gifford.
4. What sense of foreboding does Sylder have as he tries to fall asleep?
5. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
6. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
7. How does Gifford put pressure on John Wesley to give up information about Sylder?
8. Who is Arthur Ownby and what is he doing as this chapter begins?
9. What information does John Wesley give to Gifford and what does Sylder say about it?
10. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)