|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
(a) The click of a shotgun.
(b) A lantern light coming closer.
(c) A rustling noise coming from the pit.
2. How does Sylder kill the man?
(a) Slits his throat.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Crushes his windpipe.
(d) Stabs him.
3. Where does Sylder arrive in the middle of the night?
(b) The middle of a woods.
(c) A lake resort.
4. Sylder sees the orchard keeper shooting ________________ in the side of a government tank.
(a) a swastika.
(b) a large "X".
(c) a cross.
(d) a cannon.
5. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
(b) Reading a map.
(d) Playing checkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came about as a result of Prohibition?
2. Gifford and ___________ are two local cops who investigate Sylder's crash.
3. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
4. How much did John Wesley earn for the dead chickenhawk?
5. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sylder after the flat tire is fixed?
2. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
3. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
4. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
5. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
6. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
7. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
8. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
9. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
10. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)