|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
(a) He was a hard-working man.
(b) They would not be in this sad state if he were alive.
(c) He was an honest man.
(d) All of these.
2. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
(a) His windshield is smashed.
(b) Obscenities are painted on his car.
(c) All his tires are flat.
(d) There is a man in his car.
3. Kenneth asks the storekeep for the distance to what city?
4. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
(a) Stabs an intruder.
(b) Circumcises the shotgun shells.
(c) Peels an apple.
(d) Whittles a pipe.
5. Sylder has an irrational fear of what type of animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
2. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
3. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
4. What is Sylder doing as he drives away from the crash?
5. How far is it to Atlanta from where Kenneth is now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
2. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
3. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
4. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
5. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
6. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
7. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
8. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
9. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
10. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)