|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
(a) He thought he saw a robber.
(b) His gun went off accidentally.
(c) He thought a cat was sneaking up on him.
(d) He was tired of watching the TV and shot it.
2. Who are the inhabitants of the truck?
(a) Two men.
(b) A sheriff's deputy.
(c) A man and wife.
(d) A man and his son.
3. How much did John Wesley earn for the dead chickenhawk?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) Seventy-five cents.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Twenty-five cents.
4. Who had originally shown Sylder the corpse in the pit?
(a) His wife.
(b) A deputy.
(c) Two children.
(d) His brother.
5. How is the girl injured while watching John Wesley fish?
(a) She steps on a fish hook.
(b) She falls out of a tree.
(c) A leech bites her.
(d) A jellyfish stings her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder do every Saturday?
2. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
3. Sylder and John Wesley walk to the house of Sylder's friend, _____________.
4. What had John Wesley bought from a storekeep some time ago?
5. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
2. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
3. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
4. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
5. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
6. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
7. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
8. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
9. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
10. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)