|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who picks up the whiskey on the orchard keeper's property and takes it the rest of the way on its journey?
(a) John Wesley.
(b) Mrs. Rattner.
(c) The orchard keeper.
2. What reason does Sylder give for the man being under the truck?
(a) He is fixing the muffler.
(b) He is checking an oil leak.
(c) He is tightening some bolts.
(d) He is changing the oil.
3. What is the only thing John Wesley finds in his animal traps?
(a) A toenail.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A toad.
(d) A snake.
4. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
(a) Whittles a pipe.
(b) Stabs an intruder.
(c) Peels an apple.
(d) Circumcises the shotgun shells.
5. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
(a) Tries to commit suicide.
(b) Files for unemployment.
(c) Calls his wife.
(d) Goes to a bar and then drives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kenneth do at the gas station?
2. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
3. What is Kenneth's ultimate decision?
4. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
5. Gifford and ___________ are two local cops who investigate Sylder's crash.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the wildcat as it tries to find dry quarters as well as something to eat.
2. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
3. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
4. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
5. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
6. What is the significance of cats in the story?
7. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
8. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
9. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
10. What emotions does the orchard keeper have when he finds the peach pit smoldering?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)