|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Sylder's crash?
(a) He is severely wounded.
(b) He is killed instantly.
(c) His car is totalled.
(d) He drives away.
2. What does the man in the car ask Sylder to do?
(a) Give him a ride to Maryville.
(b) Loan him some money.
(c) Take him to Atlanta.
(d) Buy him a bottle of whiskey.
3. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
4. What does the old man pass by on his way home from the orchard?
(a) The pit where Sylder buried the dead body.
(b) A church.
(c) An abandoned school.
(d) A lake.
5. Who saw Sylder arrive at the woods?
(a) Two boys.
(b) An old man.
(c) Two hunters.
(d) A man and his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper get out of a chest?
2. What movement is in effect in America at this point in time?
3. What does Sylder do with the dead body when he hears a truck coming?
4. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
5. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
2. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
3. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
4. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
5. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
6. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
7. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
8. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
9. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
10. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)