|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Kenneth claim to need when asked by the storekeep?
(b) Nail file.
(c) Tire pump.
(d) Chocolate bar.
2. About what do Sylder and June question Jack the Runner?
(a) Where he left some people.
(b) What he's planting this year.
(c) Where his car broke down.
(d) If he wants a job.
3. Who do Sylder and June question at the Green Fly Inn?
(a) Jack the Idiot.
(b) Jack the Runner.
(c) Jack the Rapist.
(d) Jack the Ripper.
4. Where did Garland Hobie hid whiskey as a boolegger?
(a) A mountain cave.
(b) Room behind false door.
(c) Honeysuckle bushes.
5. With what does the man hit Sylder?
(a) A chain.
(b) A tire jack.
(c) A tree branch.
(d) His fist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about Kenneth Rattner's widow and son?
2. Who saw Sylder arrive at the woods?
3. Where does the orchard keeper go late at night?
4. What is Sylder doing as he drives away from the crash?
5. How much time has passed since the last section of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
2. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
3. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
4. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
5. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
6. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
7. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
8. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
9. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
10. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)