|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sylder doing as this section of the novel begins?
(b) Chopping wood.
2. With what does the man hit Sylder?
(a) His fist.
(b) A chain.
(c) A tire jack.
(d) A tree branch.
3. Who is Kenneth Rattner's son?
(a) James Ashely.
(b) John Warner.
(c) John Wesley.
(d) John William.
4. Why is June's wife shocked to see Sylder and John Wesley?
(a) They are covered in blood.
(b) It is the middle of the night.
(c) John Wesley is too young to be bootlegging.
(d) No one ever comes into this part of the woods.
5. What does John Wesley take with him to check his traps?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
2. What is the name of Sylder's dog?
3. Where did Garland Hobie hid whiskey as a boolegger?
4. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
5. Sylder sees the orchard keeper shooting ________________ in the side of a government tank.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
2. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
3. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
4. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
5. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
6. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
7. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
8. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
9. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
10. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)