|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed since the last section of the novel?
(a) Six years.
(b) Six days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Six weeks.
2. Sylder and John Wesley walk to the house of Sylder's friend, _____________.
3. About what do Sylder and June question Jack the Runner?
(a) Where his car broke down.
(b) What he's planting this year.
(c) Where he left some people.
(d) If he wants a job.
4. Where does Sylder arrive in the middle of the night?
(b) A lake resort.
(c) The middle of a woods.
5. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
(a) He feels something move past him.
(b) Someone has trashed the place.
(c) A stranger is sitting in his chair.
(d) The fire is out of control.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the old man that saw Sylder in the woods?
2. What came about as a result of Prohibition?
3. Who is driving the car that crashes in the woods?
4. Who had originally shown Sylder the corpse in the pit?
5. With what does the man hit Sylder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
2. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
3. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
4. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
5. Where does Sylder dispose of the body and whose presence is he unaware of?
6. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
7. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
8. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
9. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
10. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)