|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
2. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
(b) Playing checkers.
(c) Reading a map.
3. What do Sylder and June do when they find the two girls and a boy?
(a) Rape them and leave them in a remote area.
(b) Shoot them in the woods.
(c) Give them a ride to Knoxville.
(d) Give them bus fare to get home.
4. How is the girl injured while watching John Wesley fish?
(a) A leech bites her.
(b) She falls out of a tree.
(c) She steps on a fish hook.
(d) A jellyfish stings her.
5. About what do Sylder and June question Jack the Runner?
(a) Where his car broke down.
(b) What he's planting this year.
(c) If he wants a job.
(d) Where he left some people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in the car ask Sylder to do?
2. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
3. What is Kenneth's ultimate decision?
4. What does the old man pass by on his way home from the orchard?
5. Who had originally shown Sylder the corpse in the pit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
2. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
3. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
4. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
5. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
6. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
7. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
8. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
9. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
10. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)