|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
2. What kind of car did Sylder crash?
(c) Crown Victoria.
3. In what year was Marion Sylder born?
4. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
(a) A lantern light coming closer.
(b) The click of a shotgun.
(c) A rustling noise coming from the pit.
5. What does Sylder crash into when he careens off the road?
(a) A storefront.
(b) A huge tree.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
2. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
3. Sylder believes that _____________ prowl around the mountain invisibly.
4. How is the girl injured while watching John Wesley fish?
5. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John Wesley happen to meet Sylder?
2. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
3. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
4. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
5. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
6. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
7. What happens to Sylder after the flat tire is fixed?
8. How does Sylder end up killing the man?
9. Where does Kenneth get a ride to and what is his ultimate destination?
10. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)