|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the inhabitants of the truck?
(a) Two men.
(b) A man and his son.
(c) A man and wife.
(d) A sheriff's deputy.
2. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
(a) He was tired of watching the TV and shot it.
(b) He thought he saw a robber.
(c) He thought a cat was sneaking up on him.
(d) His gun went off accidentally.
3. Who do Sylder and June question at the Green Fly Inn?
(a) Jack the Rapist.
(b) Jack the Runner.
(c) Jack the Idiot.
(d) Jack the Ripper.
4. What had John Wesley bought from a storekeep some time ago?
(a) Animal traps.
(d) Tire iron.
5. How were men killed at the Green Fly Inn?
(a) The porch collapsed.
(b) There was a drive-by shooting.
(c) There was a knife fight.
(d) They were poisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper do after he discharges his shotgun shells?
2. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder was born?
3. What is one of the major inconveniences of the Rattner house?
4. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
5. Where do the policemen begin their investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sylder after the flat tire is fixed?
2. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
3. How does John Wesley manage to get into the mental asylum to visit Ownby?
4. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
5. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
6. Describe Sylder's booking in the police department.
7. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
8. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
9. What happens to the Rattners by the end of the story?
10. What are the circumstances in which Sylder once again encounters the old man?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)