|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Kenneth claim to need when asked by the storekeep?
(a) Chocolate bar.
(b) Nail file.
(c) Tire pump.
2. What happens to Sylder's car on the way to Maryville?
(a) It runs out of gas.
(b) The tailpipe falls off.
(c) The wipers won't work.
(d) A tire goes flat.
3. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
(a) All his tires are flat.
(b) His windshield is smashed.
(c) Obscenities are painted on his car.
(d) There is a man in his car.
4. Who is driving the car that crashes in the woods?
(b) John Wesley.
(c) The orchard keeper.
(d) Kenneth Rattner.
5. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
(a) All of these.
(b) They would not be in this sad state if he were alive.
(c) He was an honest man.
(d) He was a hard-working man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the inhabitants of the truck?
2. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
3. What is the result of Sylder's crash?
4. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
5. What had John Wesley bought from a storekeep some time ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
2. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
3. How does John Wesley acquire his animal traps?
4. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
5. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
6. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
7. What does the old man recall about the day he discovered the corpse buried in the peach pit?
8. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
9. What other possible explanation could there be for Sylder's driving fast to elude the police?
10. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)