|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kenneth Rattner's son?
(a) John William.
(b) John Wesley.
(c) James Ashely.
(d) John Warner.
2. How had Kenneth injured his leg?
(a) Cut from barbed wire.
(b) A dog bite.
(c) Motorcycle burn.
(d) Gunshot wound.
3. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
4. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
(a) Cracking trees.
(b) All of these.
(c) An approaching car.
(d) Splashing water.
5. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
(a) He thought he saw a robber.
(b) His gun went off accidentally.
(c) He thought a cat was sneaking up on him.
(d) He was tired of watching the TV and shot it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Garland Hobie hid whiskey as a boolegger?
2. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
3. Where is the old man that saw Sylder in the woods?
4. What happens to Sylder's car on the way to Maryville?
5. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
2. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
3. How does McCarthy set up the book's major irony in this chapter?
4. What does Sylder do after he is fired from his job?
5. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
6. What does the orchard keeper do when he returns to his house?
7. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder is from and in what year was he born?
8. What does Kenneth say he is looking for and why does this confuse the storekeep?
9. What do the voices in the woods tell John Wesley to do?
10. Describe the Green Fly Inn.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)