|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sylder driving so fast?
(a) He is an emergency responder.
(b) He has to get to the hospital.
(c) He is late for a meeting.
(d) He is running from the police.
2. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
3. Gifford and ___________ are two local cops who investigate Sylder's crash.
4. Sylder has an irrational fear of what type of animal?
5. What do Sylder and June do when they find the two girls and a boy?
(a) Give them bus fare to get home.
(b) Rape them and leave them in a remote area.
(c) Give them a ride to Knoxville.
(d) Shoot them in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Sylder live?
2. What does Sylder crash into when he careens off the road?
3. Where does Sylder dispose of the dead body?
4. What is Kenneth's ultimate decision?
5. What had John Wesley bought from a storekeep some time ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gifford focus his question about Ownby on a storekeep named Huffaker?
2. Describe the conversation in which Ownby gives John Wesley advice about his life.
3. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
4. How does the author give the first clue that Sylder is a bootlegger?
5. Who are Gifford and Legwater and what do they find at the scene of the car crash?
6. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
7. How else might the irony of Sylder and John Wesley's friendship be interpreted?
8. What is life like now for Kenneth Rattner's widow and son, John Wesley, since Rattner is dead?
9. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
10. Why is Sylder's toe injury probably unrelated to a war injury?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)