|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Sylder's crash?
(a) He drives away.
(b) His car is totalled.
(c) He is killed instantly.
(d) He is severely wounded.
2. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
(a) Whittles a pipe.
(b) Peels an apple.
(c) Stabs an intruder.
(d) Circumcises the shotgun shells.
3. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
4. What do Sylder and June do when they find the two girls and a boy?
(a) Give them bus fare to get home.
(b) Shoot them in the woods.
(c) Rape them and leave them in a remote area.
(d) Give them a ride to Knoxville.
5. Where does Sylder dispose of the dead body?
(a) The woods.
(b) A mountain ravine.
(c) A lake.
(d) A riverbank.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were men killed at the Green Fly Inn?
2. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
3. With what does the man hit Sylder?
4. What is the name of Sylder's dog?
5. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most that John Wesley has ever caught in his traps?
2. What does the man in Sylder's car want and what does Sylder end up doing?
3. What is the whiskey running process in place in the area and what is Sylder's role in it?
4. What do Sylder and June do when they locate the young hitchhikers?
5. How does the author further the theme of ignorance and obscurity?
6. What is the symbolism of the old man firing on the government tank on his property?
7. What insight is revealed about Sylder's background?
8. What does Mrs. Rattner tell John Wesley about his father?
9. What spooks the orchard keeper when he visits the peach pit where the corpse is buried?
10. Why is the old man afraid of cats and what extreme measures has he taken to keep them at bay?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)