|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ownby sent after being released from jail?
(a) A mental asylum.
(b) A medical hospital.
(c) His sister's home.
2. What is the name of Ownby's dog?
3. How much money does John Wesley leave for the chickenhawk even though he could not get the corpse?
(a) Twenty-five cents.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Fifty cents.
4. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
(a) He wonders if his wife will bring lunch.
(b) He is anxious to get back to his whiskey runs.
(c) He wants to repent.
(d) He hopes Gifford gets what he deserves.
5. How does John Wesley manage to get into the jail to see Sylder?
(a) He offers up evidence to the cops.
(b) He claims to be his son.
(c) He breaks in during the night.
(d) He claims to be his nephew.
6. Ownby tells John Wesley that there are some things that a person just has to do, because unless he does them he will have no _____________.
7. What offense was John Wesley told he had committed?
(a) No dog tags on his dog.
(b) Fishing without a license.
(c) Driving without a license.
(d) Trapping without a license.
8. Why do Gifford and some other policemen arrive at Ownby's house?
(a) To see if he needs anything.
(b) To question him.
(c) To take him to a funeral.
(d) To arrest him.
9. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
(b) almost every day.
(c) every day.
(d) once a year.
10. What animals is the wildcat prowling for at the beginning of this section?
11. What has happened to the corpse in the peach pit?
(a) It is still intact.
(b) It has been reduced to ashes.
(c) It is gone.
(d) It is partially decayed.
12. What does John Wesley promise to take care of for Ownby?
(b) His orchard.
(c) His house.
(d) His still.
13. What rouses the large cat in Ownby's outhouse?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) Rain seeping in.
(c) A thunderclap.
14. What is Sylder's destination as he drives tonight?
(a) A hotel to meet his mistress.
(b) A bar to meet his friends.
(c) A house to drop off whiskey.
(d) The police station to turn himself in.
15. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
(b) Uncle Ather's.
(c) Mr. Wren's.
(d) Widow Rennart's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
2. What does John Wesley say about Sylder?
3. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
4. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
5. Where does Wylder get gas before going on another whiskey run?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)