|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the large cat go after it lunges at Mrs. Rattner?
(a) Off toward the woods.
(b) In search of food.
(c) Toward Uncle Ather's house.
(d) Back to the outhouse.
2. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
3. What is the name of Ownby's dog?
4. In what branch of the armed forces did Sylder serve?
(d) Air Force.
5. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
(a) once a year.
(c) almost every day.
(d) every day.
6. What does Ownby want to bring with him when he is arrested?
(a) His rifle.
(b) His knife.
(c) His moonshine jug.
(d) His dog, Scout.
7. To whom does John Wesley show the mangled mink?
8. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
(a) Find Sylder's house.
(b) Trace the wrecked car to Sylder.
(c) Arrest a fourteen-year-old boy.
(d) Find Sylder's pick-up points.
9. How did Sylder lose part of his toe?
(a) An anchor dropped on it.
(b) A bullet grazed it.
(c) He got gangrene.
(d) A piano fell on it.
10. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
11. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He hasn't shaved in days.
(b) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
(c) He is badly beaten.
(d) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
12. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
(a) Uncle Ather.
13. What has happened to the corpse in the peach pit?
(a) It has been reduced to ashes.
(b) It is partially decayed.
(c) It is gone.
(d) It is still intact.
14. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A cardinal.
(c) A pair of hunters.
(d) A fox.
15. How long does it take for Ownby to show up at the store and for Gifford to arrest him?
(a) About a month.
(b) One day.
(c) A couple of days.
(d) About a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys do in the cave?
2. With what other offense could John Wesley be charged?
3. What does John Wesley try to recover from the courthouse?
4. Where does Sylder's car die while on his whiskey run?
5. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)