|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
(a) Uncle Ather's.
(b) Widow Rennart's.
(c) Mr. Wren's.
2. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
(a) It could mean more trouble for him if John Wesley did anything to Gifford.
(b) All of these.
(c) He wants John Wesley to stay out of it.
(d) He doesn't want John Wesley to get in any trouble.
3. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
4. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
5. Where does Sylder's car die while on his whiskey run?
(a) In front of the police station.
(b) On a muddy road.
(c) On the bridge.
(d) On the interstate.
6. In the war, Sylder lost part of his __________.
7. In what branch of the armed forces did Sylder serve?
(d) Air Force.
8. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
(b) John Wesley.
9. Which is true of the orchard keeper's environment when he awakens?
(a) All of these.
(b) Everything is quiet.
(c) Nothing is stirring.
(d) It has snowed.
10. What rouses the large cat in Ownby's outhouse?
(b) Rain seeping in.
(c) A gunshot.
(d) A thunderclap.
11. How many prior convictions does Sylder say he has had when questioned by the desk sergeant?
12. Which of the following boys does John Wesley encounter?
(a) Warn Pulliam.
(c) Johnny Romines.
(d) All of these.
13. How could the charges against John Wesley be dropped?
(a) If he got a good attorney.
(b) They can't be dropped.
(c) If he paid off the cops.
(d) If he would give information about Sylder.
14. What does Sylder tell John Wesley about Gifford?
(a) He is a very dangerous man.
(b) He is an idiot.
(c) He was bluffing John Wesley.
(d) He will be back to arrest them.
15. To whom does John Wesley show the mangled mink?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals is the wildcat prowling for at the beginning of this section?
2. Who picks up Ownby when he is spotted walking with his dog?
3. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
4. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
5. Ownby tells John Wesley that there are some things that a person just has to do, because unless he does them he will have no _____________.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)