|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sylder's car die while on his whiskey run?
(a) On the interstate.
(b) On the bridge.
(c) In front of the police station.
(d) On a muddy road.
2. How many police officers is Ownby accused of shooting?
3. How could John Wesley be charged with aiding a criminal?
(a) He gave a gun to a fugitive.
(b) The man he helped was a bootlegger.
(c) He gave money to an accused murderer.
(d) He hid out a fugitive.
4. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
(a) Find Sylder's house.
(b) Trace the wrecked car to Sylder.
(c) Find Sylder's pick-up points.
(d) Arrest a fourteen-year-old boy.
5. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
6. Which is true of the orchard keeper's environment when he awakens?
(a) Nothing is stirring.
(b) Everything is quiet.
(c) It has snowed.
(d) All of these.
7. What does the orchard keeper notice about the peach pit when he visits it?
(a) It is paved over.
(b) It is smoldering.
(c) It is vacant.
(d) It is covered over with dirt.
8. How could the charges against John Wesley be dropped?
(a) If he got a good attorney.
(b) If he paid off the cops.
(c) They can't be dropped.
(d) If he would give information about Sylder.
9. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
(b) Uncle Ather.
10. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
(a) Uncle Ather's.
(b) Mr. Wren's.
(d) Widow Rennart's.
11. Which policeman has threatened John Wesley?
12. How long does it take for Ownby to show up at the store and for Gifford to arrest him?
(a) A couple of days.
(b) One day.
(c) About a week.
(d) About a month.
13. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) A cardinal.
(b) A fox.
(c) A pair of hunters.
(d) An eagle.
14. How often does Gifford return to the store to question Huffaker about Ownby?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Every couple of hours.
(d) Every day.
15. What does John Wesley say about Sylder?
(a) He gave the cops Sylder's address.
(b) He did not help any criminal.
(c) He showed the cops the moonshine still.
(d) He gave the cops the bootleg pick-up points.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
2. What does John Wesley try to recover from the courthouse?
3. What does John Wesley find in his trap the next day?
4. Why does Officer Legwater sift through the ashes in the peach pit?
5. Where does Wylder get gas before going on another whiskey run?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)