|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the boys do in the cave?
(a) Play cards.
(b) Clean their guns.
(c) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Look at pictures of nude women.
2. How much prison time does Sylder get for running whiskey?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six months.
3. Where does the large cat find refuge from the rain?
(a) An abandoned school.
(b) An old shed.
(c) Widow Rattner's barn.
(d) An abandoned house.
4. Who is the storekeep that Gifford questions about Ownby?
5. Where does John Wesley go to visit Sylder?
6. What does John Wesley say about Sylder?
(a) He did not help any criminal.
(b) He gave the cops the bootleg pick-up points.
(c) He showed the cops the moonshine still.
(d) He gave the cops Sylder's address.
7. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
(a) He wants to repent.
(b) He is anxious to get back to his whiskey runs.
(c) He wonders if his wife will bring lunch.
(d) He hopes Gifford gets what he deserves.
8. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
9. What type of animal devours the wildcat?
10. How much does Warn say the mink would have been worth had it not been mangled?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
11. Where does the orchard keeper drag some trees?
(a) To his moonshine still.
(b) To the lumberyard.
(c) To the peach pit where Rattner's body was dumped.
(d) To the back of his house.
12. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
(a) He wants John Wesley to stay out of it.
(b) He doesn't want John Wesley to get in any trouble.
(c) All of these.
(d) It could mean more trouble for him if John Wesley did anything to Gifford.
13. What does the orchard keeper notice about the peach pit when he visits it?
(a) It is vacant.
(b) It is paved over.
(c) It is smoldering.
(d) It is covered over with dirt.
14. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
(a) Officer Gifford.
(b) A welfare department agent.
(c) Mildred Rattner.
(d) John Wesley.
15. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
(a) Find Sylder's house.
(b) Trace the wrecked car to Sylder.
(c) Arrest a fourteen-year-old boy.
(d) Find Sylder's pick-up points.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what branch of the armed forces did Sylder serve?
2. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
3. Why is Ownby going to be arrested?
4. To whom does John Wesley show the mangled mink?
5. Ownby tells John Wesley that there are some things that a person just has to do, because unless he does them he will have no _____________.
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)