|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
(a) He doesn't want John Wesley to get in any trouble.
(b) All of these.
(c) It could mean more trouble for him if John Wesley did anything to Gifford.
(d) He wants John Wesley to stay out of it.
2. What is the orchard keeper's name?
(a) Uncle Amos.
(b) Uncle Ather.
(c) Uncle Remus.
(d) Uncle Tom.
3. Ownby tells John Wesley that there are some things that a person just has to do, because unless he does them he will have no _____________.
4. Why does Officer Legwater sift through the ashes in the peach pit?
(a) To find Ownby's still parts.
(b) To find Rattner's platinum plate.
(c) To find bullet casings.
(d) To find Ownby's knife.
5. Where does the orchard keeper drag some trees?
(a) To his moonshine still.
(b) To the lumberyard.
(c) To the back of his house.
(d) To the peach pit where Rattner's body was dumped.
6. What is Sylder's destination as he drives tonight?
(a) A hotel to meet his mistress.
(b) The police station to turn himself in.
(c) A bar to meet his friends.
(d) A house to drop off whiskey.
7. Why does Gifford want to see Sylder?
(a) To beat him up for socking him on the jaw.
(b) To get a confession out of him.
(c) To release him.
(d) To read him his rights.
8. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
(d) Uncle Ather.
9. What dead animal does the large cat find?
10. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Fifty cents.
11. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A cardinal.
(c) A fox.
(d) A pair of hunters.
12. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He is badly beaten.
(b) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
(c) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
(d) He hasn't shaved in days.
13. What is Uncle Ather's real name?
(a) Arthur Ogilvy.
(b) Arthur Oglesby.
(c) Arthur Owens.
(d) Arthur Ownby.
14. Why do Gifford and some other policemen arrive at Ownby's house?
(a) To see if he needs anything.
(b) To take him to a funeral.
(c) To question him.
(d) To arrest him.
15. What do the police choose not to reveal to Mildred Rattner about her husband?
(a) That he committed suicide.
(b) That he had another family in another state.
(c) That he was wanted in three states.
(d) That he was having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
2. How much does Warn say the mink is probably worth now that it is mangled?
3. Ownby states that the older he gets, _____________________.
4. How could John Wesley be charged with aiding a criminal?
5. Whose hideout is in a cave?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)