|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal do John Wesley and Warn speculate must have mauled the mink?
2. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
(a) Arrest a fourteen-year-old boy.
(b) Find Sylder's house.
(c) Trace the wrecked car to Sylder.
(d) Find Sylder's pick-up points.
3. For what was John Wesley arrested?
(c) Aiding a criminal.
(d) He was not arrested.
4. What does John Wesley try to recover from the courthouse?
(a) Sylder's wallet.
(b) His father's death certificate.
(c) Ownby's gun.
(d) The chickenhawk's corpse.
5. What do the boys do in the cave?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Look at pictures of nude women.
(c) Clean their guns.
(d) Play cards.
6. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) A cardinal.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A fox.
(d) A pair of hunters.
7. What does the orchard keeper notice about the peach pit when he visits it?
(a) It is paved over.
(b) It is smoldering.
(c) It is covered over with dirt.
(d) It is vacant.
8. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He hasn't shaved in days.
(b) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
(c) He is badly beaten.
(d) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
9. Which of the following boys does John Wesley encounter?
(b) Warn Pulliam.
(c) All of these.
(d) Johnny Romines.
10. Where does the large cat find refuge from the rain?
(a) An abandoned school.
(b) An old shed.
(c) An abandoned house.
(d) Widow Rattner's barn.
11. How often does Gifford return to the store to question Huffaker about Ownby?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Every couple of hours.
(c) Every day.
(d) Once a month.
12. What do the two men do with Ownby after they pick him up?
(a) Take him to a cabin for breakfast.
(b) Take him to a soup kitchen.
(c) Take him to a hotel.
(d) Take him to the police station.
13. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
14. What type of animal has been asleep in Ownby's outhouse?
15. How old was Mildred Rattner when she died?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper do as he drifts into thought?
2. What animals is the wildcat prowling for at the beginning of this section?
3. Why does Sylder feel a strong sense of doom as he tries to fall asleep?
4. Why do Gifford and some other policemen arrive at Ownby's house?
5. How much money does John Wesley leave for the chickenhawk even though he could not get the corpse?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)