|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Wesley try to recover from the courthouse?
(a) Sylder's wallet.
(b) His father's death certificate.
(c) The chickenhawk's corpse.
(d) Ownby's gun.
2. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
(a) He is badly beaten.
(b) He hasn't shaved in days.
(c) His clothes are all torn to shreds.
(d) He has big, dark circles under his eyes.
3. Huffaker tells Gifford that Ownby comes to the store __________________.
(b) almost every day.
(c) once a year.
(d) every day.
4. What does Sylder tell John Wesley that Gifford will never do?
(a) Arrest a fourteen-year-old boy.
(b) Trace the wrecked car to Sylder.
(c) Find Sylder's pick-up points.
(d) Find Sylder's house.
5. Where does the orchard keeper drag some trees?
(a) To the back of his house.
(b) To the peach pit where Rattner's body was dumped.
(c) To his moonshine still.
(d) To the lumberyard.
6. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) A pair of hunters.
(b) A cardinal.
(c) A fox.
(d) An eagle.
7. How much prison time does Sylder get for running whiskey?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
8. Sylder is told that _____________ wants to see him.
(d) John Wesley.
9. To whose house do the boys go to talk about the skunk?
(a) Uncle Ather's.
(c) Widow Rennart's.
(d) Mr. Wren's.
10. What is the widow Rattner's first name?
11. Which policeman has threatened John Wesley?
12. In the war, Sylder lost part of his __________.
13. How much money does John Wesley leave for the chickenhawk even though he could not get the corpse?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Twenty-five cents.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) One dollar.
14. What extreme weather is Ownby navigating at the beginning of this section?
(b) Torrential rain.
15. To whom does John Wesley show the mangled mink?
Short Answer Questions
1. The orchard keeper feels a combination of anguish and ___________ about the dead man.
2. Who does Sylder punch in the face while the man is sleeping?
3. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
4. What kind of animal do John Wesley and Warn speculate must have mauled the mink?
5. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)