|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sylder feel a strong sense of doom as he tries to fall asleep?
(a) He worries that John Wesley will squeal on him.
(b) He wonders why the orchard keeper was shooting the tank.
(c) He thinks he has a fatal illness.
(d) He thinks Gifford will figure out who hit him.
2. What does the orchard keeper see in the snowy landscape?
(a) A cardinal.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A fox.
(d) A pair of hunters.
3. What animals did the panther kitten's mother kill?
4. What do the two men do with Ownby after they pick him up?
(a) Take him to a soup kitchen.
(b) Take him to the police station.
(c) Take him to a cabin for breakfast.
(d) Take him to a hotel.
5. Ownby tells John Wesley that there are some things that a person just has to do, because unless he does them he will have no _____________.
6. Where is Ownby heading when he leaves his house from the back door?
7. What kind of animal do the boys have trapped in a cave?
8. What does Sylder's wife wonder about her husband when he returns from his drop-off?
(a) Why his coat is wet.
(b) Why he is laughing.
(c) Why his shoes are muddy.
(d) Why he has lipstick on his cheek.
9. To whom does John Wesley show the mangled mink?
10. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
11. What is the orchard keeper's name?
(a) Uncle Amos.
(b) Uncle Remus.
(c) Uncle Ather.
(d) Uncle Tom.
12. Where does the orchard keeper drag some trees?
(a) To his moonshine still.
(b) To the lumberyard.
(c) To the peach pit where Rattner's body was dumped.
(d) To the back of his house.
13. Where does the large cat find refuge from the rain?
(a) Widow Rattner's barn.
(b) An abandoned house.
(c) An abandoned school.
(d) An old shed.
14. How much does Warn say the mink would have been worth had it not been mangled?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Ten dollars.
15. What kind of animal do John Wesley and Warn speculate must have mauled the mink?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is a mink worth?
2. What is Uncle Ather's real name?
3. How many prior convictions does Sylder say he has had when questioned by the desk sergeant?
4. Which of the following describes Ownby's demeanor while being questioned by the welfare agent?
5. What type of animal has been asleep in Ownby's outhouse?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)