|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Warn say the mink is probably worth now that it is mangled?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Fifty cents.
2. What is the widow Rattner's first name?
3. What does Ownby want to bring with him when he is arrested?
(a) His knife.
(b) His moonshine jug.
(c) His rifle.
(d) His dog, Scout.
4. Who is the storekeep that Gifford questions about Ownby?
5. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
(a) He is anxious to get back to his whiskey runs.
(b) He hopes Gifford gets what he deserves.
(c) He wonders if his wife will bring lunch.
(d) He wants to repent.
6. What do the boys do in the cave?
(a) Look at pictures of nude women.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Clean their guns.
(d) Play cards.
7. Why do Gifford and some other policemen arrive at Ownby's house?
(a) To take him to a funeral.
(b) To arrest him.
(c) To see if he needs anything.
(d) To question him.
8. What does the orchard keeper notice about the peach pit when he visits it?
(a) It is covered over with dirt.
(b) It is smoldering.
(c) It is vacant.
(d) It is paved over.
9. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
10. In what branch of the armed forces did Sylder serve?
(b) Air Force.
11. What animals did the panther kitten's mother kill?
12. What does John Wesley try to recover from the courthouse?
(a) His father's death certificate.
(b) Ownby's gun.
(c) The chickenhawk's corpse.
(d) Sylder's wallet.
13. What type of animal devours the wildcat?
14. What does Sylder tell John Wesley about Gifford?
(a) He was bluffing John Wesley.
(b) He is an idiot.
(c) He is a very dangerous man.
(d) He will be back to arrest them.
15. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
(a) John Wesley.
(b) Officer Gifford.
(c) A welfare department agent.
(d) Mildred Rattner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offense was John Wesley told he had committed?
2. How long does it take for Ownby to show up at the store and for Gifford to arrest him?
3. What does the orchard keeper do as he drifts into thought?
4. What about Sylder's appearance shocks John Wesley?
5. What was Sylder's position in the armed forces?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)