|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Officer Legwater sift through the ashes in the peach pit?
(a) To find Ownby's knife.
(b) To find bullet casings.
(c) To find Rattner's platinum plate.
(d) To find Ownby's still parts.
2. What is the widow Rattner's first name?
3. Where does Ownby position himself to get off good shots at the officers?
(a) Behind a chair.
(b) Under his stove.
(c) Behind a tractor.
(d) In a shed.
4. What is Uncle Ather's job?
(d) Orchard keeper.
5. How much money does John Wesley give to Sylder?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) Twenty dollars.
6. What do the boys do in the cave?
(a) Look at pictures of nude women.
(b) Clean their guns.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
7. What is Uncle Ather's real name?
(a) Arthur Owens.
(b) Arthur Oglesby.
(c) Arthur Ogilvy.
(d) Arthur Ownby.
8. Who hears the wildcat's final death scream?
(b) John Wesley.
(c) Mr. Eller.
9. What is the name of Ownby's dog?
10. How does John Wesley manage to get into the jail to see Sylder?
(a) He breaks in during the night.
(b) He claims to be his son.
(c) He offers up evidence to the cops.
(d) He claims to be his nephew.
11. What does John Wesley promise to take care of for Ownby?
(a) His house.
(b) His orchard.
(c) His still.
12. Who arrives at the jail to provide some assistance to Ownby?
(a) A welfare department agent.
(b) John Wesley.
(c) Mildred Rattner.
(d) Officer Gifford.
13. What does Sylder secretly think after John Wesley leaves?
(a) He wants to repent.
(b) He hopes Gifford gets what he deserves.
(c) He wonders if his wife will bring lunch.
(d) He is anxious to get back to his whiskey runs.
14. Whose hideout is in a cave?
(b) John Wesley's.
(d) The orchard keeper.
15. Who is the storekeep that Gifford questions about Ownby?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Wesley bring to Ownby in the mental asylum?
2. What does Sylder say when John Wesley offers to make Gifford pay for what he did to Sylder?
3. Why does Sylder feel a strong sense of doom as he tries to fall asleep?
4. How many prior convictions does Sylder say he has had when questioned by the desk sergeant?
5. What is the orchard keeper's name?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)