|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Sylder at the beginning of this section?
2. How does Sylder kill the man?
(a) Crushes his windpipe.
(b) Stabs him.
(c) Slits his throat.
(d) Shoots him.
3. With what does the man hit Sylder?
(a) A tire jack.
(b) A tree branch.
(c) A chain.
(d) His fist.
4. What does the man in the car ask Sylder to do?
(a) Give him a ride to Maryville.
(b) Buy him a bottle of whiskey.
(c) Loan him some money.
(d) Take him to Atlanta.
5. The town of Red Branch is in the ___________________ Mountains.
6. Why is June's wife shocked to see Sylder and John Wesley?
(a) John Wesley is too young to be bootlegging.
(b) It is the middle of the night.
(c) No one ever comes into this part of the woods.
(d) They are covered in blood.
7. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
(a) He was tired of watching the TV and shot it.
(b) His gun went off accidentally.
(c) He thought a cat was sneaking up on him.
(d) He thought he saw a robber.
8. What does the orchard keeper do after he discharges his shotgun shells?
(a) Discards the spent shells.
(b) Opens the shotgun.
(c) Examines the shells.
(d) All of these.
9. What does Sylder do after he kills the man?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Drives away.
(d) Falls unconscious.
10. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
(a) Someone has trashed the place.
(b) He feels something move past him.
(c) A stranger is sitting in his chair.
(d) The fire is out of control.
11. What is Sylder doing as this section of the novel begins?
(d) Chopping wood.
12. With what did Sylder cover up the corpse?
(a) A load of dirt.
(b) A cedar tree.
(c) A mount of dead leaves.
(d) A wooden plank.
13. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
(a) A lantern light coming closer.
(c) A rustling noise coming from the pit.
(d) The click of a shotgun.
14. What happens to Sylder's car on the way to Maryville?
(a) It runs out of gas.
(b) The wipers won't work.
(c) The tailpipe falls off.
(d) A tire goes flat.
15. What does the orchard keeper do with a knife?
(a) Stabs an intruder.
(b) Whittles a pipe.
(c) Peels an apple.
(d) Circumcises the shotgun shells.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylder believes that _____________ prowl around the mountain invisibly.
2. What movement is in effect in America at this point in time?
3. What kind of footwear is John Wesley wearing in the store?
4. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
5. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)