|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sylder sees the orchard keeper shooting ________________ in the side of a government tank.
(a) a swastika.
(b) a cross.
(c) a large "X".
(d) a cannon.
2. Where does Sylder arrive in the middle of the night?
(b) The middle of a woods.
(d) A lake resort.
3. How much time has passed since the last section of the novel?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six days.
(d) Six years.
4. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
(a) There is a man in his car.
(b) All his tires are flat.
(c) Obscenities are painted on his car.
(d) His windshield is smashed.
5. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
(a) He was an honest man.
(b) All of these.
(c) He was a hard-working man.
(d) They would not be in this sad state if he were alive.
6. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
(b) Reading a map.
(c) Playing checkers.
7. What does Sylder do every Saturday?
(a) Takes his wife out to dinner.
(b) Goes to the feed store.
(c) Drives the highway looking for hitchhikers.
(d) Does his banking.
8. Where do the policemen begin their investigation?
(a) A local store.
(b) Homes in the area.
(c) A diner.
(d) A local church.
9. Why does Sylder vomit in the woods?
(a) He feels guilt for killing the man.
(b) He has the flu.
(c) He ate bad seafood for dinner.
(d) The odor of the decaying body.
10. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder was born?
(a) Red Bank.
(b) Red Branch.
(c) Red Fern.
(d) Red Vine.
11. What does Sylder do after he kills the man?
(a) Runs away.
(c) Drives away.
(d) Falls unconscious.
12. What is Sylder doing as this section of the novel begins?
(b) Chopping wood.
13. What does the old man pass by on his way home from the orchard?
(a) A lake.
(b) A church.
(c) The pit where Sylder buried the dead body.
(d) An abandoned school.
14. What does Sylder do with the dead body when he hears a truck coming?
(a) Puts it under the car.
(b) Sets it in the passenger seat.
(c) Rolls it into a ravine.
(d) Puts it in the trunk.
15. What does the orchard keeper get out of a chest?
(a) A rifle.
(b) Shotgun shells.
(c) A deed.
(d) A blanket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the girl injured while watching John Wesley fish?
2. John Wesley hears voices that tell him to ___________________.
3. Where does Sylder dispose of the dead body?
4. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
5. Where is Kenneth when he enters a bar?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)