|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
(a) Come On Inn.
(b) Pinetree Inn.
(c) Green Pine Inn.
(d) Green Fly Inn.
2. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
3. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
(a) They would not be in this sad state if he were alive.
(b) He was an honest man.
(c) All of these.
(d) He was a hard-working man.
4. What happens as Sylder tries to elude the police?
(a) He careens off the road.
(b) He hits another car head on.
(c) He rolls the car into a ditch.
(d) He suddenly stops.
5. How had Kenneth injured his leg?
(a) Cut from barbed wire.
(b) Gunshot wound.
(c) A dog bite.
(d) Motorcycle burn.
6. What is one of the major inconveniences of the Rattner house?
(a) No air conditioning.
(b) No mail delivery.
(c) Leaky roof.
(d) No indoor plumbing.
7. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
(a) All of these.
(b) Cracking trees.
(c) An approaching car.
(d) Splashing water.
8. About what do Sylder and June question Jack the Runner?
(a) If he wants a job.
(b) What he's planting this year.
(c) Where his car broke down.
(d) Where he left some people.
9. What movement is in effect in America at this point in time?
(a) Civil Rights.
(b) Women's suffrage.
(d) Anti-war demonstrations.
10. How much time has passed since the last section of the novel?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six days.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six years.
11. Who picks up the whiskey on the orchard keeper's property and takes it the rest of the way on its journey?
(b) The orchard keeper.
(c) Mrs. Rattner.
(d) John Wesley.
12. What do Sylder and June do when they find the two girls and a boy?
(a) Shoot them in the woods.
(b) Rape them and leave them in a remote area.
(c) Give them a ride to Knoxville.
(d) Give them bus fare to get home.
13. Why had Sylder once blasted his wall with a shotgun?
(a) He thought he saw a robber.
(b) He thought a cat was sneaking up on him.
(c) His gun went off accidentally.
(d) He was tired of watching the TV and shot it.
14. On what type of road is Sylder driving?
15. What does the orchard keeper do after he discharges his shotgun shells?
(a) Discards the spent shells.
(b) Opens the shotgun.
(c) All of these.
(d) Examines the shells.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did John Wesley earn for the dead chickenhawk?
2. Where is the old man that saw Sylder in the woods?
3. Who saw Sylder arrive at the woods?
4. Sylder believes that _____________ prowl around the mountain invisibly.
5. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)