|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Wesley do after his mother goes to sleep?
(a) Goes to the woods.
(b) Sneaks out to a bar.
(c) Goes to a gambling hall.
(d) Meets a girl in the meadow.
2. What happens to Sylder's car on the way to Maryville?
(a) A tire goes flat.
(b) The wipers won't work.
(c) The tailpipe falls off.
(d) It runs out of gas.
3. What does the man in the car ask Sylder to do?
(a) Take him to Atlanta.
(b) Loan him some money.
(c) Buy him a bottle of whiskey.
(d) Give him a ride to Maryville.
4. What is Sylder doing as this section of the novel begins?
(c) Chopping wood.
5. What was Sylder afraid of seeing outside his window at night?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A stranger.
(d) A cat.
6. In what year was Marion Sylder born?
7. Which of the following does John Wesley hear as he is searching for his traps?
(a) Cracking trees.
(b) All of these.
(c) An approaching car.
(d) Splashing water.
8. Which of the following does John Wesley's mother tell him about his father?
(a) He was a hard-working man.
(b) All of these.
(c) He was an honest man.
(d) They would not be in this sad state if he were alive.
9. Who picks up the whiskey on the orchard keeper's property and takes it the rest of the way on its journey?
(a) John Wesley.
(c) Mrs. Rattner.
(d) The orchard keeper.
10. How is the girl injured while watching John Wesley fish?
(a) She steps on a fish hook.
(b) A jellyfish stings her.
(c) She falls out of a tree.
(d) A leech bites her.
11. Where is Kenneth when he enters a bar?
(a) The outskirts of Memphis.
(b) Downtown Knoxville.
(c) Outside of Atlanta.
(d) A tiny mountain town.
12. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
13. What item does Kenneth claim to need when asked by the storekeep?
(a) Nail file.
(c) Chocolate bar.
(d) Tire pump.
14. What does Sylder do after he is fired?
(a) Calls his wife.
(b) Files for unemployment.
(c) Goes to a bar and then drives.
(d) Tries to commit suicide.
15. Who are the inhabitants of the truck?
(a) A man and wife.
(b) A man and his son.
(c) A sheriff's deputy.
(d) Two men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the policemen begin their investigation?
2. Why was Sylder fired from his job?
3. What kind of animal does John Wesley scare away while hunting?
4. How had Kenneth injured his leg?
5. What kind of car did Sylder crash?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)