|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sylder do every Saturday?
(a) Goes to the feed store.
(b) Drives the highway looking for hitchhikers.
(c) Takes his wife out to dinner.
(d) Does his banking.
2. Who is the old acquaintance that Marion sees at the bar?
3. What does Sylder do after the man and his son leave?
(a) Drives away leaving the body on the road.
(b) Puts the body in a shallow grave.
(c) Rolls the body into a creek.
(d) Puts the body in the truck.
4. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
5. Sylder sees the orchard keeper shooting ________________ in the side of a government tank.
(a) a cross.
(b) a cannon.
(c) a large "X".
(d) a swastika.
6. What does Sylder do after he kills the man?
(b) Drives away.
(c) Falls unconscious.
(d) Runs away.
7. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
(b) Reading a map.
(c) Playing checkers.
8. What does Sylder crash into when he careens off the road?
(a) A storefront.
(b) A huge tree.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A house.
9. How much did John Wesley earn for the dead chickenhawk?
(a) Seventy-five cents.
(b) Twenty-five cents.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) One dollar.
10. What came about as a result of Prohibition?
(a) World War II.
(b) Marijuana farms.
(d) Illegal drug use.
11. Why was Sylder fired from his job?
(c) Fight with a co-worker.
(d) Extreme absenteeism.
12. What frightens the orchard keeper in the woods?
(a) A rustling noise coming from the pit.
(c) A lantern light coming closer.
(d) The click of a shotgun.
13. How far is it to Atlanta from where Kenneth is now?
(a) 17 miles.
(b) 100 miles.
(c) 57 miles.
(d) 20 miles.
14. Where does the orchard keeper go late at night?
(a) Green Valley Inn.
(b) The pit with Kenneth Rattner's body.
(c) The Blue Fly Inn.
15. Where does Sylder dispose of the dead body?
(a) A riverbank.
(b) A lake.
(c) The woods.
(d) A mountain ravine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the orchard keeper experience when he enters his house?
2. Kenneth asks the storekeep for the distance to what city?
3. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
4. Which of the following is true about Kenneth Rattner's widow and son?
5. Where does Sylder arrive in the middle of the night?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)