|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the town where Marion Sylder was born?
(a) Red Bank.
(b) Red Vine.
(c) Red Fern.
(d) Red Branch.
2. What is one of the major inconveniences of the Rattner house?
(a) Leaky roof.
(b) No air conditioning.
(c) No mail delivery.
(d) No indoor plumbing.
3. What does Sylder tell John Wesley was in Sylder's car?
4. Who is driving the car that crashes in the woods?
(a) The orchard keeper.
(b) Kenneth Rattner.
(c) John Wesley.
5. What does Sylder do with the dead body when he hears a truck coming?
(a) Rolls it into a ravine.
(b) Sets it in the passenger seat.
(c) Puts it in the trunk.
(d) Puts it under the car.
6. What type of fruit is the old man eating?
7. How far is it to Atlanta from where Kenneth is now?
(a) 17 miles.
(b) 20 miles.
(c) 100 miles.
(d) 57 miles.
8. What is Kenneth Rattner doing as the novel begins?
(a) Reading a map.
(c) Playing checkers.
9. How many animal traps does John Wesley get for his dollar?
10. Why is Sylder driving so fast?
(a) He is late for a meeting.
(b) He is running from the police.
(c) He is an emergency responder.
(d) He has to get to the hospital.
11. What does the orchard keeper get out of a chest?
(a) A deed.
(b) Shotgun shells.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A rifle.
12. What do Sylder and June do when they find the two girls and a boy?
(a) Give them bus fare to get home.
(b) Give them a ride to Knoxville.
(c) Shoot them in the woods.
(d) Rape them and leave them in a remote area.
13. What surprises Sylder when he gets to his car after leaving a bar?
(a) Obscenities are painted on his car.
(b) There is a man in his car.
(c) His windshield is smashed.
(d) All his tires are flat.
14. With what does the man hit Sylder?
(a) A tree branch.
(b) A tire jack.
(c) A chain.
(d) His fist.
15. What is Sylder doing as this section of the novel begins?
(a) Chopping wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylder believes that _____________ prowl around the mountain invisibly.
2. What does Kenneth do at the gas station?
3. Where does Sylder arrive in the middle of the night?
4. What kind of animal does John Wesley scare away while hunting?
5. What is the name of the bar which is tethered to a pine tree to keep it in place?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)