Pages 8 - 27
• Kenneth Rattner is unsuccessfully hitchhiking by the side of a road and enters into a gas station where he wanders the aisles aimlessly.
• Rattner lies to the storekeep, telling him that he needs a tire iron and then asks the distance to Atlanta and says he needs to get going, which is odd because the storekeep thinks he has a flat tire.
• Rattner hitches a ride with a customer toward Atlanta, although his ultimate destination is Knoxville.
• Marion Sylder was born in 1913 in the Appalachian Mountain town named Red Branch.
• Sylder has come and gone from the town most of his life and has been gone five years this time, the purpose of which is never revealed.
• Sylder goes to the local Green Fly Inn that is perched precariously on a mountain and tethered loosely to a pine tree.
• Rattner finds himself outside a dumpy bar...
This section contains 2,174 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)