|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took Ivan to a fast-food restaurants and baseball games?
2. What does Stella call her cage?
3. What does Bob do to comfort Ruby after Stella's death?
4. How did Ivan break his toes?
5. Where was Ivan born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan react to Ruby's first solo act in Mack's show?
2. What does Stella mean when she says, "Humans can surprise you sometimes"?
3. How is Bob affected by Ruby's story of being saved by humans?
4. How does Ivan's appearances at the mall as a young gorilla compare to his experiences at the mall as an adult gorilla?
5. Why is Ivan puzzled by the fear that most humans have of gorillas?
6. What is Ivan's plan for getting Ruby out of the mall?
7. Why does Ivan draw?
8. How does Ivan console Ruby after Stella's death?
9. Why does George place his job in danger in order to help Ivan?
10. What is the significance of the X's that Ivan draws on his painted jungle wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ivan envies Julia’s ability to draw things that “aren’t real”. Why do you think Ivan only draws things he can see? What is the importance of imagination in his decision to paint the sign to free Ruby? How does Ivan learn to use his imagination while he paints Ruby’s sign?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ivan’s relationship with Julia. What do they have in common? How are they different? How does Julia help Ivan throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, Bob reminds Ivan that he is “The One and Only Ivan”. Why do you think humans gave Ivan this title? When Bob uses this title, what do you think he is trying to tell Ivan about himself? At the end of the story, Ivan calls Bob “The One and Only Bob”. Why do you think he uses this title when saying goodbye to his friend?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)