|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George's job?
2. What does Ivan draw with the black crayon?
3. Where does Ivan live?
4. Who is Thelma?
5. How are Julia's drawings different from Ivan's drawings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan's artwork differ from Julia's artwork?
2. Why do some visitors to the mall think Ivan is lonely?
3. Why does Mack give George money to buy new crayons for Julia?
4. How did Stella's foot become injured?
5. How did Stella come to live at the mall?
6. How does Ivan react when he sees another gorilla on his television?
7. What are me-balls?
8. What does Ivan watch on TV?
9. How does Ivan spend his days?
10. How does Ivan compare humans to chimps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Bob wants to remain “wild” instead of living with humans like most dogs? Why do you think Bob trusts Ivan? Compare Bob’s experience with humans to Ivan’s experience with humans.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role the claw-stick plays in the story. Compare how Mack views the use of the claw-stick with how the other characters view its use. What role does the claw-stick play in the release of the animals? How could this be described as ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mack’s relationship with Ivan. What type of relationship did they have when Mack first bought Ivan? How and why did that relationship change? How does Ivan describe their relationship at the mall? At the end of the story, why do you think Mack tries to remind Ivan of their earlier relationship?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)