|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tag?
2. How are Julia's drawings different from Ivan's drawings?
3. What sport does the chicken play?
4. Where does Snickers sleep?
5. How did the seal die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some visitors to the mall think Ivan is lonely?
2. Why does Bob refer to poodles as "parasites"?
3. What are me-balls?
4. Why did the seal die?
5. How does Ivan's artwork differ from Julia's artwork?
6. What is the purpose of the billboard outside the mall?
7. Why does Mack give George money to buy new crayons for Julia?
8. Why does Bob avoid most humans?
9. How does Ivan react when he sees another gorilla on his television?
10. What does Mack do with Ivan's paintings and drawings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ivan envies Julia’s ability to draw things that “aren’t real”. Why do you think Ivan only draws things he can see? What is the importance of imagination in his decision to paint the sign to free Ruby? How does Ivan learn to use his imagination while he paints Ruby’s sign?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Ivan is lonely? Why or why not? Who are Ivan’s best friends? Why are these friendships important to Ivan?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mack’s relationship with Ivan. What type of relationship did they have when Mack first bought Ivan? How and why did that relationship change? How does Ivan describe their relationship at the mall? At the end of the story, why do you think Mack tries to remind Ivan of their earlier relationship?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)