|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gerald leave?
2. Who was Tag?
3. What does Ivan like to watch on TV?
4. What toy does Julia give Ivan?
5. What were the "bracelets" that Stella wore as a young elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ivan and Stella have in common?
2. How did Stella's foot become injured?
3. Why does Mack give George money to buy new crayons for Julia?
4. Why do silverback gorillas pound their chests?
5. Why does Bob avoid most humans?
6. How does Ivan spend his days?
7. Why does Mack make the animals perform shows at the mall?
8. What does Ivan do when he is bored?
9. What is a claw-stick?
10. Why does the picture of the gorilla on the billboard outside the mall bother Ivan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ivan envies Julia’s ability to draw things that “aren’t real”. Why do you think Ivan only draws things he can see? What is the importance of imagination in his decision to paint the sign to free Ruby? How does Ivan learn to use his imagination while he paints Ruby’s sign?
Essay Topic 2
Ivan is the narrator of the story. Why do you think the author chose to have him tell the story instead of writing it from a human’s perspective? What do we learn from Ivan’s point of view that we might not learn had the story been told from a human’s point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Stella’s story about Jambo reveals about gorillas. How do many humans view gorillas? According to Stella’s story, how do gorillas view humans? Based on what you have read in the book, how does Ivan view humans?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)