|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thelma?
2. Who is George?
3. Who is Bob?
4. What does Ivan draw with the yellow crayon?
5. Where does Snickers sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack make the animals perform shows at the mall?
2. How does Ivan's artwork differ from Julia's artwork?
3. Why did the seal die?
4. Why does Bob avoid most humans?
5. How does Ivan compare humans to chimps?
6. How does Ivan spend his days?
7. Why do some visitors to the mall think Ivan is lonely?
8. Why does Bob refer to poodles as "parasites"?
9. What is a claw-stick?
10. How did Stella's foot become injured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ivan is the narrator of the story. Why do you think the author chose to have him tell the story instead of writing it from a human’s perspective? What do we learn from Ivan’s point of view that we might not learn had the story been told from a human’s point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Bob wants to remain “wild” instead of living with humans like most dogs? Why do you think Bob trusts Ivan? Compare Bob’s experience with humans to Ivan’s experience with humans.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role the claw-stick plays in the story. Compare how Mack views the use of the claw-stick with how the other characters view its use. What role does the claw-stick play in the release of the animals? How could this be described as ironic?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)