|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia want to be when she grows up?
2. Who is Sara?
3. What does Ivan draw with the black crayon?
4. What does Bob call Ivan's cage?
5. How did the seal die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ivan live?
2. What are me-balls?
3. Why does Mack make the animals perform shows at the mall?
4. What does Ivan watch on TV?
5. Why do silverback gorillas pound their chests?
6. Why does Mack give George money to buy new crayons for Julia?
7. What does Mack do with Ivan's paintings and drawings?
8. How does Ivan spend his days?
9. Why does Mack give Ivan a yellow crayon?
10. Why does Bob avoid most humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role the claw-stick plays in the story. Compare how Mack views the use of the claw-stick with how the other characters view its use. What role does the claw-stick play in the release of the animals? How could this be described as ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Ivan is the narrator of the story. Why do you think the author chose to have him tell the story instead of writing it from a human’s perspective? What do we learn from Ivan’s point of view that we might not learn had the story been told from a human’s point of view?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ruby change the lives of the other animals in the mall? How does Ruby’s arrival affect Stella? How does Ruby’s arrival affect Ivan and Bob? Why do you think animals of different species would want to protect each other?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)