|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much food must a silverback gorilla eat each day?
2. How did Stella injure her foot?
3. Why doesn't Sara come to the mall anymore?
4. What sport does the chicken play?
5. Where does Snickers sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the billboard outside the mall?
2. How does Ivan's artwork differ from Julia's artwork?
3. Why does Mack give George money to buy new crayons for Julia?
4. How does Ivan spend his days?
5. How did Stella come to live at the mall?
6. What do Ivan and Stella have in common?
7. What does Ivan watch on TV?
8. What is a claw-stick?
9. What are me-balls?
10. Why does the picture of the gorilla on the billboard outside the mall bother Ivan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Ivan learn from watching television? What types of shows does Ivan watch and what does he learn from each type of show? How does watching the television in the mall make Ivan feel? How is the television in the zoo different from the television in the mall?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mack’s relationship with Ivan. What type of relationship did they have when Mack first bought Ivan? How and why did that relationship change? How does Ivan describe their relationship at the mall? At the end of the story, why do you think Mack tries to remind Ivan of their earlier relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Ivan’s art important to him? Describe how art affects Ivan’s life during his infancy, as a young gorilla living with Mack, as an “employee” of the Big Top Mall, and as an activist for animal rights. What is significant about the art that Ivan creates at the zoo?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)