|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Depending on how the animals were ________, different foods can contain different amounts of omega fatty acids.
2. Pollan and the guests at the dinner achieve the pleasures of the ________, a camaraderie during the meal.
3. Some believe that human ________ is different from that of animals because humans are capable of suffering.
4. What does Pollan admit he liked more than he had anticipated liking?
5. Store purchased foods, according to Salatin, do not take into consideration environmental and health ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan attempt to do as he is reading the book "Animal Liberation"?
2. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
3. What does Pollan try to make, but then decides that he shouldn't use it because it doesn't seem right?
4. What does Pollan suggest that our intelligence allows a person to do that an animal cannot?
5. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
6. Where can Pollan buy some of the Salatin farm's produce?
7. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
8. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
9. What does Salatin suggest stores should do with their food which might make consumers shop differently?
10. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, the book brings up the idea that food should be the next revolution in America.
Part 1: Why might food be the basis for a new revolution?
Part 2: Do you think food is something that is causing divisiveness in the country today?
Part 3: How do you think the food supply might change if there was a revolution?
Essay Topic 2
The government doesn't encourage off the grid and natural farming, according to Pollan and Salatin's discussion.
Part 1: Why wouldn't the government encourage a more efficient way of farming?
Part 2: How do industrial farmers help the government?
Part 3: What might happen if the government supported farmers like Salatin?
Essay Topic 3
The supersizing of foods and drinks has led to more sales for the soda drink companies.
Part 1: What do you think about the idea of supersizing your meals?
Part 2: Do you think that the idea of supersizing may have contributed to the growing obesity problem?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to enjoy the idea of supersizing their meals and drinks?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)