|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan has never ________ before he begins the new opportunity to learn about food chains.
2. Local _______ love Polyface because their products are exceptionally tasty and have more full flavor.
3. Pollan notes that one of the lessons of hunting for food is _________, and of the relationships between man and food.
4. _________ hunters are hugely secretive, according to Pollan's observations.
5. Who is considered to be the first researcher of the omnivore's dilemma?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pollan change his eating habits after reading "Animal Liberation"?
2. What does Pollan attempt to do as he is reading the book "Animal Liberation"?
3. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
4. Why does Salatin disagree with the argument that organic food costs too much?
5. What does Pollan point out about the loss of meat in one's diet?
6. What is the fundamental argument in Singer's book about the ethics of meat?
7. What are the eating patterns in many American households today?
8. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
9. What are some of the ways in which humans have learned to overcome the plant's defenses?
10. What is the reason why Garro hunts for the food in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a form of corn that is lower in quality than the corn in many foods, and it is fed to the animals.
Part 1: Do you think that lower quality food should be served to animals?
Part 2: Why do you think there is so much extra corn that can be used without any concern for quality?
Part 3: How do you think the farmers might be able to provide better quality feed for their animals?
Essay Topic 2
For those who don't make a lot of money, fast food is a way to get higher calorie meals for less money.
Part 1: Do you think fast food is a bad thing?
Part 2: Why do you think lower income families choose fast food over healthy foods?
Part 3: How do you think fast food restaurants and grocery stores could help lower income families eat better?
Essay Topic 3
Farmers continue to have to grow more and more corn to keep up with the supply and demand, but it's harming their farms.
Part 1: What are some of the problems of only growing corn in a field?
Part 2: Do you think that farmers should be pushed to grow so much corn?
Part 3: Why do you think farmers aren't trying to grow more diverse crops?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)