|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan notes that the last meal serves as a reminder of the fact that eating industrially lets people _________ the massive total cost of the food they eat.
2. Who has helped Bev out by giving him a lot of produce to get by?
3. Pollan points out that humans are happy to eat what _________ eat, as this communicates the safety of food.
4. A new economy, based on a new way of __________, demands a new kind of eating where people enjoy preparing meals.
5. Pollan notes that one of the lessons of hunting for food is _________, and of the relationships between man and food.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
2. What does Pollan begin to experience after a day of hunting for a wild boar?
3. What are the eating patterns in many American households today?
4. What is in the meal that Pollan makes at the end of this section, which he describes as being phenomenal?
5. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
6. What does Pollan point out about the loss of meat in one's diet?
7. What is the reason why Garro hunts for the food in the woods?
8. What are some of the ways in which humans have learned to overcome the plant's defenses?
9. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
10. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The organic farmers talk about how there is a price to pay when they want to be productive.
Part 1: Do you think that organic farming can ever be pure farming?
Part 2: Why do you think that organic farmers still grow their crops in an industrial way?
Part 3: Is there anything wrong with organic farmers being more industrial in their techniques?
Essay Topic 2
For those who don't make a lot of money, fast food is a way to get higher calorie meals for less money.
Part 1: Do you think fast food is a bad thing?
Part 2: Why do you think lower income families choose fast food over healthy foods?
Part 3: How do you think fast food restaurants and grocery stores could help lower income families eat better?
Essay Topic 3
Corn is a food that seems to be dominant in the food chain, with it being a food for animals as well as a food for humans.
Part 1: Is it a good idea to have one food be so dominant in a food culture?
Part 2: Why do you think corn is something that is so dominant in the food culture?
Part 3: How do you think society can get away from corn or can it?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)