|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan sees some mushrooms which he believes to be ___________, though he is not sure enough to eat them.
2. Gasset points out to Pollan that he believes _________ returned humans back to nature, and Pollan agrees.
3. Pollan is disgusted when he looks at a picture of himself with his kill and sees ________.
4. Who is considered to be the first researcher of the omnivore's dilemma?
5. Mushrooms, Pollan points out, can be ________, but they can also be deadly.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
2. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
3. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
4. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
5. What is in the meal that Pollan makes at the end of this section, which he describes as being phenomenal?
6. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
7. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
8. What does Pollan point out about the loss of meat in one's diet?
9. What does Pollan begin to experience after a day of hunting for a wild boar?
10. What does Salatin suggest stores should do with their food which might make consumers shop differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The industrial method of growing corn appears to be causing more environmental damage than many might believe.
Part 1: Do you think farmers consider the environmental damage when growing corn?
Part 2: Do you think that farming can be more efficient? How?
Part 3: Why do you think industrial farming is so inefficient today?
Essay Topic 2
The government doesn't encourage off the grid and natural farming, according to Pollan and Salatin's discussion.
Part 1: Why wouldn't the government encourage a more efficient way of farming?
Part 2: How do industrial farmers help the government?
Part 3: What might happen if the government supported farmers like Salatin?
Essay Topic 3
The supersizing of foods and drinks has led to more sales for the soda drink companies.
Part 1: What do you think about the idea of supersizing your meals?
Part 2: Do you think that the idea of supersizing may have contributed to the growing obesity problem?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to enjoy the idea of supersizing their meals and drinks?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)