|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Pollan ask for a detailed account of what happens when a steer is processed?
2. What is the herbal tea that Pollan makes to help finish off the meal he has made?
3. Pollan believes that the hunter and gatherer food chain is the most ___________.
4. Pollan tries to be vegetarian, but gives it up as he finds it less ________ and much more difficult.
5. Pollan sees some mushrooms which he believes to be ___________, though he is not sure enough to eat them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
2. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
3. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
4. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
5. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
6. What is Pollan surprised about when he begins to eat the meal that he has prepared?
7. What does Pollan point out about the loss of meat in one's diet?
8. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
9. What is the reason why Garro hunts for the food in the woods?
10. What does Pollan feel when a boar is right before him and his gun was not cocked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The government doesn't encourage off the grid and natural farming, according to Pollan and Salatin's discussion.
Part 1: Why wouldn't the government encourage a more efficient way of farming?
Part 2: How do industrial farmers help the government?
Part 3: What might happen if the government supported farmers like Salatin?
Essay Topic 2
The prices of organic and sustainably grown foods is higher than regular foods.
Part 1: Do you mind paying higher prices for better food?
Part 2: Why do you think organic and sustainably grown foods have to cost more?
Part 3: Do you think higher food prices keep some people away from these types of foods?
Essay Topic 3
Salatin talks to Pollan about the ways in which a farm can grow in line with the Earth to be more productive and healthy.
Part 1: Do you think that organic growing is the best way to grow for food supplies?
Part 2: Why do you think organic growing methods aren't always the best choice?
Part 3: Do you think that organic growing is more of a trend than a way of life?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)