|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gasset points out to Pollan that he believes _________ returned humans back to nature, and Pollan agrees.
2. Pollan thinks that if stores had to include __________ of how an item was produced, people would change their eating habits.
3. What is the name of the person that Pollan goes with to deliver the foods to local restaurants?
4. Pollan notes that one of the lessons of hunting for food is _________, and of the relationships between man and food.
5. What would the company that raised Pollan's steer not allow him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan feel when a boar is right before him and his gun was not cocked?
2. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
3. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
4. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
5. What is the other part of the meal that Pollan has to abandon as a part of his plan?
6. What does Garro bring to the meal that Pollan has already asked him to bring?
7. What does Pollan try to make, but then decides that he shouldn't use it because it doesn't seem right?
8. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
9. What is the irony that Pollan sees when he is looking over the delicious meal?
10. What does Pollan attempt to do as he is reading the book "Animal Liberation"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pollan is surprised by the many things he learns about his food and where it comes from.
Part 1: Do you know where your food comes from?
Part 2: Why do you think people don't often think about where their food comes from?
Part 3: Do you feel it is important to know where your food comes from?
Essay Topic 2
For those who don't make a lot of money, fast food is a way to get higher calorie meals for less money.
Part 1: Do you think fast food is a bad thing?
Part 2: Why do you think lower income families choose fast food over healthy foods?
Part 3: How do you think fast food restaurants and grocery stores could help lower income families eat better?
Essay Topic 3
Farmers continue to have to grow more and more corn to keep up with the supply and demand, but it's harming their farms.
Part 1: What are some of the problems of only growing corn in a field?
Part 2: Do you think that farmers should be pushed to grow so much corn?
Part 3: Why do you think farmers aren't trying to grow more diverse crops?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)