|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Salatin disagrees with the idea that organic food is ___________.
2. Pollan notes that one of the lessons of hunting for food is _________, and of the relationships between man and food.
3. Pollan sees some mushrooms which he believes to be ___________, though he is not sure enough to eat them.
4. What is the herbal tea that Pollan makes to help finish off the meal he has made?
5. It is not uncommon today to have all family members eating ___________ at different times.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
2. What are some of the ways in which humans have learned to overcome the plant's defenses?
3. What does Pollan attempt to do as he is reading the book "Animal Liberation"?
4. Why is Bev having troubles getting his eggs into stores and into the market?
5. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
6. What does Pollan feel when a boar is right before him and his gun was not cocked?
7. What does Garro bring to the meal that Pollan has already asked him to bring?
8. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
9. What are the eating patterns in many American households today?
10. What does Pollan try to make, but then decides that he shouldn't use it because it doesn't seem right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The way that the cows are handled in industrial farms allows more chance of disease to the cow and to the human who eats the beef.
Part 1: How do you think animals should be treated when they are being raised as food?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to eat animals?
Part 3: Why do you think animals' health and well-being aren't always supported by those who raise them?
Essay Topic 2
Salatin talks to Pollan about the ways in which a farm can grow in line with the Earth to be more productive and healthy.
Part 1: Do you think that organic growing is the best way to grow for food supplies?
Part 2: Why do you think organic growing methods aren't always the best choice?
Part 3: Do you think that organic growing is more of a trend than a way of life?
Essay Topic 3
Salatin's farming methods focus on efficiency and building up a system that helps maintain itself.
Part 1: How do you think industrial farms lack efficiency?
Part 2: Why do you think natural farming methods are more efficient?
Part 3: Do you think every farmer can be more efficient?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)