|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pollan do with Garro, even though he has to turn away from disgust at one point?
2. Pollan notes that the end meal was _______ for him, according to the book.
3. Humans, when faced with a new _______, often take a small amount and wait for the results.
4. Pairing raw fish with _______ makes sense as this condiment had antibacterial properties.
5. The family _______, one of the remaining parts of America's food culture, is in decline, according to Pollan.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Salatin suggest stores should do with their food which might make consumers shop differently?
2. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
3. Where can Pollan buy some of the Salatin farm's produce?
4. What is the other part of the meal that Pollan has to abandon as a part of his plan?
5. Why does Salatin disagree with the argument that organic food costs too much?
6. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
7. How does Pollan change his eating habits after reading "Animal Liberation"?
8. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
9. What does Pollan suggest that our intelligence allows a person to do that an animal cannot?
10. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For those who don't make a lot of money, fast food is a way to get higher calorie meals for less money.
Part 1: Do you think fast food is a bad thing?
Part 2: Why do you think lower income families choose fast food over healthy foods?
Part 3: How do you think fast food restaurants and grocery stores could help lower income families eat better?
Essay Topic 2
Polyface Farm also strives to live off the grid in an effort to use as few resources as possible.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible for you to live without depending on the grid?
Part 2: Why do you think a person might want to live off the grid?
Part 3: How would your live change if you were to start living off the grid?
Essay Topic 3
Farmers continue to have to grow more and more corn to keep up with the supply and demand, but it's harming their farms.
Part 1: What are some of the problems of only growing corn in a field?
Part 2: Do you think that farmers should be pushed to grow so much corn?
Part 3: Why do you think farmers aren't trying to grow more diverse crops?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)