|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan also makes two entrees, one of grilled and one of braised __________.
2. Pollan notes that the last meal serves as a reminder of the fact that eating industrially lets people _________ the massive total cost of the food they eat.
3. What does Pollan do with Garro, even though he has to turn away from disgust at one point?
4. The alliance between chefs and small farmers is what helps _____________ flourish.
5. What does Pollan decide that he wants to gather from a local pond, though he ends up not using it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
2. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
3. What are some of the ways in which humans have learned to overcome the plant's defenses?
4. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
5. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
6. What does Pollan suggest that our intelligence allows a person to do that an animal cannot?
7. What is Pollan surprised about when he begins to eat the meal that he has prepared?
8. Where can Pollan buy some of the Salatin farm's produce?
9. What does Pollan believe that CAFO does not take into consideration when processing meat?
10. What are the eating patterns in many American households today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The government doesn't encourage off the grid and natural farming, according to Pollan and Salatin's discussion.
Part 1: Why wouldn't the government encourage a more efficient way of farming?
Part 2: How do industrial farmers help the government?
Part 3: What might happen if the government supported farmers like Salatin?
Essay Topic 2
Salatin talks to Pollan about the ways in which a farm can grow in line with the Earth to be more productive and healthy.
Part 1: Do you think that organic growing is the best way to grow for food supplies?
Part 2: Why do you think organic growing methods aren't always the best choice?
Part 3: Do you think that organic growing is more of a trend than a way of life?
Essay Topic 3
Pollan is surprised by the many things he learns about his food and where it comes from.
Part 1: Do you know where your food comes from?
Part 2: Why do you think people don't often think about where their food comes from?
Part 3: Do you feel it is important to know where your food comes from?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)