|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the primary emotion that Pollan feels when he shoots and kills his first boar?
2. Pollan notes that one of the lessons of hunting for food is _________, and of the relationships between man and food.
3. Who has helped Bev out by giving him a lot of produce to get by?
4. __________ involves higher emotions of dread, shame, and fear, according to Pollan.
5. Pollan makes __________ toasts from the produce in his garden and bread that uses yeast he has gathered.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
2. What does Pollan attempt to do as he is reading the book "Animal Liberation"?
3. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
4. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
5. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
6. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
7. What is the irony that Pollan sees when he is looking over the delicious meal?
8. What does Salatin suggest stores should do with their food which might make consumers shop differently?
9. What does Pollan begin to experience after a day of hunting for a wild boar?
10. What does Pollan feel when a boar is right before him and his gun was not cocked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main theme of the book is the omnivore's dilemma and it's one that Pollan returns to again and again.
Part 1: Do you think you face a dilemma when you sit down to eat?
Part 2: Why do you think Pollan believes that the dilemma is important?
Part 3: Should people think about where their food comes from or why they choose certain foods?
Essay Topic 2
Locally grown foods are said to taste better than those that are shipped from far away places.
Part 1: Do you think local foods are better for those who eat them?
Part 2: Why do you think locally grown foods might taste better?
Part 3: How do you choose your foods - price or taste?
Essay Topic 3
For those who don't make a lot of money, fast food is a way to get higher calorie meals for less money.
Part 1: Do you think fast food is a bad thing?
Part 2: Why do you think lower income families choose fast food over healthy foods?
Part 3: How do you think fast food restaurants and grocery stores could help lower income families eat better?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)