|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buying local foods grown in a __________ manner underwrites a set of values important to the people.
2. Overcoming human senses had sometimes been vital, as in the case of bitter ______________.
3. Pollan begins to understand that eating the meat is the final act of the __________.
4. Garro states that he does not hunt for the thrill of the _________, but for the food he can catch.
5. Pairing raw fish with _______ makes sense as this condiment had antibacterial properties.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
2. What does Pollan attempt to do as he is reading the book "Animal Liberation"?
3. What are some of the ways in which humans have learned to overcome the plant's defenses?
4. Why does Salatin disagree with the argument that organic food costs too much?
5. Where can Pollan buy some of the Salatin farm's produce?
6. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
7. What does Pollan feel when a boar is right before him and his gun was not cocked?
8. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
9. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
10. How does Pollan change his eating habits after reading "Animal Liberation"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pollan is surprised by the many things he learns about his food and where it comes from.
Part 1: Do you know where your food comes from?
Part 2: Why do you think people don't often think about where their food comes from?
Part 3: Do you feel it is important to know where your food comes from?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the image of what 'organic' is may not be true, according to Pollan's findings.
Part 1: Why do you think people are so drawn to the idea of something being organic?
Part 2: Do you choose organic foods? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a person can make a more informed decision about the foods they buy and eat?
Essay Topic 3
Locally grown foods are said to taste better than those that are shipped from far away places.
Part 1: Do you think local foods are better for those who eat them?
Part 2: Why do you think locally grown foods might taste better?
Part 3: How do you choose your foods - price or taste?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)