|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan begins to understand that eating the meat is the final act of the __________.
2. Pollan and the guests at the dinner achieve the pleasures of the ________, a camaraderie during the meal.
3. Singer argues that a lifetime of __________ for an animal does not justify the pleasure of a man's taste buds.
4. Who did Pollan ask for a detailed account of what happens when a steer is processed?
5. What do Pollan and Garro decide to go out to hunt at the start of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bev having troubles getting his eggs into stores and into the market?
2. What does Pollan believe that CAFO does not take into consideration when processing meat?
3. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
4. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
5. What does Salatin suggest stores should do with their food which might make consumers shop differently?
6. What is Pollan surprised about when he begins to eat the meal that he has prepared?
7. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
8. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
9. What does Pollan feel when a boar is right before him and his gun was not cocked?
10. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the image of what 'organic' is may not be true, according to Pollan's findings.
Part 1: Why do you think people are so drawn to the idea of something being organic?
Part 2: Do you choose organic foods? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a person can make a more informed decision about the foods they buy and eat?
Essay Topic 2
The prices of organic and sustainably grown foods is higher than regular foods.
Part 1: Do you mind paying higher prices for better food?
Part 2: Why do you think organic and sustainably grown foods have to cost more?
Part 3: Do you think higher food prices keep some people away from these types of foods?
Essay Topic 3
The way that the cows are handled in industrial farms allows more chance of disease to the cow and to the human who eats the beef.
Part 1: How do you think animals should be treated when they are being raised as food?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to eat animals?
Part 3: Why do you think animals' health and well-being aren't always supported by those who raise them?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)