|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pollan points out that humans are happy to eat what _________ eat, as this communicates the safety of food.
(a) Books say to.
(b) Other humans.
(c) Teachers say to.
(d) Cooking shows.
2. The alliance between chefs and small farmers is what helps _____________ flourish.
(b) Grocery stores.
(c) Local economies.
(d) Cooking schools.
3. What does Pollan admit he liked more than he had anticipated liking?
(b) Writing the book.
(d) Gathering mushrooms.
4. What would the company that raised Pollan's steer not allow him to do?
(a) Watch it be processed.
(b) Take any notes.
(c) Come to see the farm.
(d) Pay for his steer.
5. Depending on how the animals were ________, different foods can contain different amounts of omega fatty acids.
6. Industrial communities sell __________, while the artisinal sells a special product.
7. __________ is another tool that humans use to decide if a food is good to eat, which helps to avoid foods that smell rotten.
8. Both food that is prepared and harvested as well as that from a store should be a part of an occasional _______ meal.
9. Pollan wants to say ________ to the animals for the meal, but realizes this is already in the meal.
10. Pollan notes that the last meal serves as a reminder of the fact that eating industrially lets people _________ the massive total cost of the food they eat.
(c) Add to.
11. Pollan sees some mushrooms which he believes to be ___________, though he is not sure enough to eat them.
12. Some believe that human ________ is different from that of animals because humans are capable of suffering.
13. The tart is made with _________ from Pollan's neighbor's garden as a dessert.
14. It is not uncommon today to have all family members eating ___________ at different times.
(a) Easy to digest foods.
(b) The same foods.
(c) Bland foods.
(d) Different foods.
15. Pollan makes __________ toasts from the produce in his garden and bread that uses yeast he has gathered.
(c) Fava bean.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ involves higher emotions of dread, shame, and fear, according to Pollan.
2. _________ hunters are hugely secretive, according to Pollan's observations.
3. _________ foods are those that are generally recognized to be toxic to humans.
4. Buying local foods grown in a __________ manner underwrites a set of values important to the people.
5. Pollan notes that one of the lessons of hunting for food is _________, and of the relationships between man and food.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)