|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
2. Corn began to rise to fame when the government war factories turned into __________ factories.
3. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
4. The Salatin farming method is based on _________ polyculture, and it is highly energy efficient.
5. Pollan looks over the land and it makes him think of _________, which is something marketers now try to sell.
6. Salatin points out that being ________ doesn't necessarily mean that a farm is also going to be sustainable.
7. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
8. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(d) Wood chips.
9. Salatin uses the animals to create a _________ system that also bolsters efficiency on the farm.
10. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(b) High quality.
11. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
12. The idea behind grass farming is that the ________ is the most natural and renewable source of energy.
13. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
14. What is the process by which corn is changed into different parts?
(a) Wet substrate.
(b) Dry dock.
(c) Dry mill.
(d) Wet mill.
15. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Corn ________ early on to mass produce, but this also made the plant dependent on humans and animals.
2. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
3. Pollan points out that the Republic of _______ exists today because of all of the excess corn in the market.
4. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
5. Who introduced the idea of using corn to the English settlers?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)