|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
2. What helps to reduce evaporation in the fields, and help to produce more carbon for the plants in the farm?
3. A new program was introduced to pay the farmers directly for the difference in price between the target and the selling price of ________.
4. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(c) High quality.
5. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
6. Where is the farm that George Naylor runs when Pollan goes to visit him to learn more?
7. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
(a) Baking soda.
8. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(c) Organic blends.
9. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
10. Corn ________ early on to mass produce, but this also made the plant dependent on humans and animals.
11. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(c) Wood chips.
12. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
13. The push for corn has also led to the industrialization of _______ farms, according to Naylor.
14. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
15. The Salatin farming method is based on _________ polyculture, and it is highly energy efficient.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ Farm started out as a small farm that sold pre-bagged salad mix, according to the book.
2. To combat the human end of the imperfect system, marketers add ______ to their raw product -- making it a novelty.
3. _______ was mass produced because of all of the corn that was grown at the time of the alcohol period in the country.
4. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
5. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)