|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
2. The push for corn has also led to the industrialization of _______ farms, according to Naylor.
3. Every day, Salatin moves his cattle to a new _________ every day to ensure balance.
4. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
(a) Fossil fuels.
(b) Solar power.
5. What does Naylor avoid when he is growing his crop on his farm?
(d) Government help.
6. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
7. Pollan learns that most organic _______ comes from factory farms, even though they seem to be "better."
8. The pastures are filled with native grasses that actually benefit from ____________.
(c) Organic yogurt.
9. Each acre of corn, according to Pollan needs to have _________ gallons of fossil fuel to support it.
10. The soda industry began to ______ their sodas, which led people to drink more and to buy more.
(b) Add contests to.
(c) Change the names of.
(d) Add nutrients.
11. Salatin points out that being ________ doesn't necessarily mean that a farm is also going to be sustainable.
12. Salatin uses the animals to create a _________ system that also bolsters efficiency on the farm.
13. In what part of the body can one determine just how much corn is being eaten by the person?
14. Pollan looks over the land and it makes him think of _________, which is something marketers now try to sell.
15. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
2. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
3. Corn became a _________ because of its many applications for use by the settlers.
4. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
5. Where do all of the parts of the corn end up in as a result of the new process to separate its parts?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)