|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the farm that George Naylor runs when Pollan goes to visit him to learn more?
2. Humans are not a perfect natural system in the food system because they can only _______ so much food.
(a) Throw away.
3. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
(d) Baking soda.
4. Corn is also self _______ and wind pollinated, which is a process that Pollan describes in detail.
5. Pollan isn't surprised that the ________ doesn't encourage Salatin's farming since he buys almost nothing to support it.
(b) Neighboring farmers.
(c) Big box stores.
(d) Feed lots.
6. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
7. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
8. Where do all of the parts of the corn end up in as a result of the new process to separate its parts?
(a) Bottled water.
(b) Egg sandwiches.
(c) Processed foods.
9. How many generations have been at the Salatin farm, all committed to alternative farming?
10. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
11. Who introduced the idea of using corn to the English settlers?
(a) Native Americans.
(c) No one.
(d) Dutch royalty.
12. Salatin's is an _________ farm, dedicated to the old agrarian ideas of how things should be grown.
(b) All free.
(c) All inclusive.
13. Pollan points out that the Republic of _______ exists today because of all of the excess corn in the market.
14. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
15. The pastures are filled with native grasses that actually benefit from ____________.
(d) Organic yogurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
2. The manure of the _______ is spread on all of the pastures without fouling the pasture with too many droppings.
3. What is the name of the person who began to take away the programs to help the farmers?
4. _______ was mass produced because of all of the corn that was grown at the time of the alcohol period in the country.
5. Where does Pollan take his family at the end of this section of the book?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)