|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Salatin points out that being ________ doesn't necessarily mean that a farm is also going to be sustainable.
2. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
3. What is the book that is considered to be the organic grower's bible?
(a) Growing in the Dirt.
(b) A New View.
(c) An Agricultural Testament.
(d) Growing with Dirt.
4. What does Pollan begin helping Salatin do when this chapter begins?
(a) Make hay.
(b) Weed the land.
(c) Milk a cow.
(d) Add fertilizer.
5. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
(a) Solar power.
(d) Fossil fuels.
6. _________ Farm started out as a small farm that sold pre-bagged salad mix, according to the book.
7. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
8. Pollan points out that the Republic of _______ exists today because of all of the excess corn in the market.
9. How many acres of woodland help Salatin continue to live outside the modern world?
10. What is NOT one of the parts of corn that is separated out in the newly used process?
11. Corn became a _________ because of its many applications for use by the settlers.
12. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
13. Salatin is a strong believer in farming in line with one's ___________, as seen in a phone call with Pollan.
(c) Season cycle.
(d) World view.
14. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(c) Wood chips.
15. Pollan isn't surprised that the ________ doesn't encourage Salatin's farming since he buys almost nothing to support it.
(a) Feed lots.
(c) Neighboring farmers.
(d) Big box stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Naylor farm has turned from a diverse farm to one that has become a _________ production mecca.
2. As the food companies produced more corn, they create more _________ as it is cheaper than sugar.
3. The Salatin farming method is based on _________ polyculture, and it is highly energy efficient.
4. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
5. What is the name of the farm that Salatin runs?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)