|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the threads of the worldwide food chain that humans fit into?
(a) The organic chain.
(b) The dairy market.
(c) The hunter-gatherer chain.
(d) The industrial chain.
2. The grass also gets a chance to ________ when the cattle is moved around.
3. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(b) Organic blends.
4. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(a) Wood chips.
5. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
6. What is the process by which corn is changed into different parts?
(a) Dry mill.
(b) Wet substrate.
(c) Dry dock.
(d) Wet mill.
7. What does Naylor avoid when he is growing his crop on his farm?
(c) Government help.
8. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
9. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
10. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
11. By _______, the government became involved in the organic market, as it sought to define what it meant to be organic.
12. The Salatin farming method is based on _________ polyculture, and it is highly energy efficient.
13. Corn ________ early on to mass produce, but this also made the plant dependent on humans and animals.
14. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(c) High quality.
15. How many generations have been at the Salatin farm, all committed to alternative farming?
Short Answer Questions
1. Salatin doesn't follow the USDA guidelines by processing his _________ in an open air building without any walls.
2. The manure of the _______ is spread on all of the pastures without fouling the pasture with too many droppings.
3. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
4. Salatin uses the animals to create a _________ system that also bolsters efficiency on the farm.
5. Every day, Salatin moves his cattle to a new _________ every day to ensure balance.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)