|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Salatin's is an _________ farm, dedicated to the old agrarian ideas of how things should be grown.
(b) All free.
(d) All inclusive.
2. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
3. The push for corn has also led to the industrialization of _______ farms, according to Naylor.
4. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(a) Wood chips.
5. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
6. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
(a) Baking soda.
7. As the food companies produced more corn, they create more _________ as it is cheaper than sugar.
(b) High fructose corn syrup.
(c) Artificial sweeteners.
(d) Corn oil.
8. Salatin uses the animals to create a _________ system that also bolsters efficiency on the farm.
9. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
10. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
(b) Solar power.
(c) Fossil fuels.
11. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn starch.
(b) Corn husks.
(c) Corn meal.
(d) Corn mallow.
12. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(c) Organic blends.
13. Many of the products at the health store where Pollan shops contain foods from the _________ food chain.
(d) Local farmer.
14. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(a) High quality.
15. How many acres of woodland help Salatin continue to live outside the modern world?
Short Answer Questions
1. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
2. Salatin's ______ invented many of the methods of farming that are used on the farm today.
3. What is the name of the person who began to take away the programs to help the farmers?
4. In the early 19th century, Americans were drinking more alcohol, which cause the Alcohol _________.
5. What is the name of the once trash strewn park that was turned into a community garden?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)