|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
2. Pollan isn't surprised that the ________ doesn't encourage Salatin's farming since he buys almost nothing to support it.
(a) Big box stores.
(b) Neighboring farmers.
(c) Feed lots.
3. The Naylor farm has turned from a diverse farm to one that has become a _________ production mecca.
4. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
5. Salatin doesn't follow the USDA guidelines by processing his _________ in an open air building without any walls.
6. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(b) Wood chips.
7. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
(a) Birds Eye.
(b) Ralston Purina.
(c) General Mills.
8. _________ Farm started out as a small farm that sold pre-bagged salad mix, according to the book.
9. Corn began to rise to fame when the government war factories turned into __________ factories.
10. What helps to reduce evaporation in the fields, and help to produce more carbon for the plants in the farm?
11. Though the process of _________, animals can be fed, which then leads to the feeding of humans, too.
(a) Hard work.
12. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(a) Organic blends.
13. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
14. The grass also gets a chance to ________ when the cattle is moved around.
15. Salatin's ______ invented many of the methods of farming that are used on the farm today.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
2. What is the process by which corn is changed into different parts?
3. The idea behind grass farming is that the ________ is the most natural and renewable source of energy.
4. How many atoms does corn utilize during photosynthesis, unlike others?
5. Pollan hopes to bring the reader back to their original _______ of food.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)