|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(d) Wood chips.
2. Salatin's ______ invented many of the methods of farming that are used on the farm today.
3. The grass also gets a chance to ________ when the cattle is moved around.
4. What is the name of the farm that Salatin runs?
5. To help combat how much a person can eat, the food industry has created ________ starch that can allow people to eat more.
6. How many acres of woodland help Salatin continue to live outside the modern world?
7. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
(a) Birds Eye.
(b) Ralston Purina.
(d) General Mills.
8. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
9. Pollan isn't surprised that the ________ doesn't encourage Salatin's farming since he buys almost nothing to support it.
(b) Neighboring farmers.
(c) Big box stores.
(d) Feed lots.
10. Every day, Salatin moves his cattle to a new _________ every day to ensure balance.
11. Who introduced the idea of using corn to the English settlers?
(a) Native Americans.
(b) Dutch royalty.
(d) No one.
12. Each acre of corn, according to Pollan needs to have _________ gallons of fossil fuel to support it.
13. _______ was mass produced because of all of the corn that was grown at the time of the alcohol period in the country.
14. Salatin is a strong believer in farming in line with one's ___________, as seen in a phone call with Pollan.
(a) Season cycle.
(c) World view.
15. What is the name of the once trash strewn park that was turned into a community garden?
(a) People's Park.
(b) Roller Park.
(c) Garden Park.
(d) Berkeley Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the parts of corn that is separated out in the newly used process?
2. Where is the farm that George Naylor runs when Pollan goes to visit him to learn more?
3. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
4. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
5. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)