|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
2. To combat the human end of the imperfect system, marketers add ______ to their raw product -- making it a novelty.
3. Salatin points out that being ________ doesn't necessarily mean that a farm is also going to be sustainable.
4. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
(a) Ralston Purina.
(b) General Mills.
(c) Birds Eye.
5. Salatin's is an _________ farm, dedicated to the old agrarian ideas of how things should be grown.
(c) All inclusive.
(d) All free.
6. Over time, corn has become everything humans need to be a staple of the _________ food chain.
7. Many of the products at the health store where Pollan shops contain foods from the _________ food chain.
(b) Local farmer.
8. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
9. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
10. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
11. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
(b) Baking soda.
12. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn mallow.
(b) Corn starch.
(c) Corn husks.
(d) Corn meal.
13. Pollan learns that most organic _______ comes from factory farms, even though they seem to be "better."
14. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
(b) Oil wells.
(c) Food supplies.
15. What is the name of the once trash strewn park that was turned into a community garden?
(a) Berkeley Park.
(b) Roller Park.
(c) People's Park.
(d) Garden Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
2. Though the process of _________, animals can be fed, which then leads to the feeding of humans, too.
3. _______ was mass produced because of all of the corn that was grown at the time of the alcohol period in the country.
4. As the food companies produced more corn, they create more _________ as it is cheaper than sugar.
5. Salatin doesn't follow the USDA guidelines by processing his _________ in an open air building without any walls.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)