|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Ten through Chapter Twelve.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
2. Corn ________ early on to mass produce, but this also made the plant dependent on humans and animals.
3. How many atoms does corn utilize during photosynthesis, unlike others?
4. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
5. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the food companies produced more corn, they create more _________ as it is cheaper than sugar.
2. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
3. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
4. Salatin is a strong believer in farming in line with one's ___________, as seen in a phone call with Pollan.
5. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)