|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eight through Chapter Nine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
2. Corn began to rise to fame when the government war factories turned into __________ factories.
3. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(b) Organic blends.
4. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
(b) Baking soda.
5. What is the name of the person who began to take away the programs to help the farmers?
(a) Ed Burrow.
(b) Dwight Eisenhower.
(c) Earl Butz.
(d) Gerald Ford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Corn is also self _______ and wind pollinated, which is a process that Pollan describes in detail.
2. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
3. The pastures are filled with native grasses that actually benefit from ____________.
4. What is the name of the farm that Salatin runs?
5. Pollan hopes to bring the reader back to their original _______ of food.
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)