|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Humans are not a perfect natural system in the food system because they can only _______ so much food.
(b) Throw away.
2. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
3. To combat the human end of the imperfect system, marketers add ______ to their raw product -- making it a novelty.
4. What does Naylor avoid when he is growing his crop on his farm?
(b) Government help.
5. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
Short Answer Questions
1. Corn ________ early on to mass produce, but this also made the plant dependent on humans and animals.
2. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
3. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
4. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
5. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)