|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
2. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn husks.
(b) Corn mallow.
(c) Corn meal.
(d) Corn starch.
3. A new program was introduced to pay the farmers directly for the difference in price between the target and the selling price of ________.
4. The Naylor farm has turned from a diverse farm to one that has become a _________ production mecca.
5. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(a) Organic blends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
2. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
3. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
4. Corn began to rise to fame when the government war factories turned into __________ factories.
5. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)