|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
2. Who introduced the idea of using corn to the English settlers?
(a) No one.
(c) Native Americans.
(d) Dutch royalty.
3. In the early 19th century, Americans were drinking more alcohol, which cause the Alcohol _________.
4. What is NOT one of the threads of the worldwide food chain that humans fit into?
(a) The organic chain.
(b) The dairy market.
(c) The hunter-gatherer chain.
(d) The industrial chain.
5. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
(a) Food supplies.
(b) Oil wells.
Short Answer Questions
1. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
2. What is the process by which corn is changed into different parts?
3. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
4. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
5. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)