|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn husks.
(b) Corn meal.
(c) Corn starch.
(d) Corn mallow.
2. Where does Pollan take his family at the end of this section of the book?
(a) Taco Bell.
(c) Burger King.
3. Corn is also self _______ and wind pollinated, which is a process that Pollan describes in detail.
4. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
5. Over time, corn has become everything humans need to be a staple of the _________ food chain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
2. What does Naylor avoid when he is growing his crop on his farm?
3. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
4. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
5. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)