|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man say that they will never hunt?
2. What kind of character does the Old Man warn Bobby to not be in Chapter 25?
3. Where does Bobby accompany the Old Man while his grandmother cleans the house?
4. What kind of men does Bobby meet with his grandfather when he leaves the house as his grandmother is cleaning?
5. What animal does the Old Man get Bobby to practice on before he gets a horse?
Essay Topic 1
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as it exhibits in The Old Man and the Boy. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Bobby learn to make decisions for himself? Discuss.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)