|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Old Man and Bobby visit on their road trip?
2. In whose company does Bobby grow up in Chapter 17?
3. What kind of psychology does the Old Man say that men must use on women?
4. At what time of the year does Bobby love the way everything smells?
5. What is the best month to shoot quail according to the Old Man?
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)