|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby find that he receives more of when he goes quail hunting with the Old Man in Chapter 20?
2. What is the overall tone of the book by the ending chapters?
3. What subject/topic does Bobby fail to apply himself in Chapter 22?
4. How much money does the animal that the Old Man buys for Bobby cost?
5. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to not anticipate because he will be six months older then in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a noble character according to the Old Man and why does he dislike it?
2. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
3. Why do the locals love the period after Labor Day in Chapter 18?
4. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
5. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
6. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
7. How do the geese exhibit their cleverness pertaining to hunting according to Bobby?
8. Describe Bobby's interactions with the older men in the town in Chapter 18.
9. Why will Bobby have to steer himself in Chapter 28?
10. What does Bobby discover about books and education in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many autobiographical features in The Old Man and the Boy and are believed to belong to Ruark. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Ruark's life? Do some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)