|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of the year does Bobby love the way everything smells?
2. What does Bobby have to do to get the animal the Old Man purchased for him to enter the cow pen?
3. What does the lost animal do after hearing the Old Man?
4. Who do the Old Man and Bobby visit on their road trip?
5. What is the overall tone of the book by the ending chapters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
2. Why does the Old Man love November?
3. Describe Bobby's interactions with the older men in the town in Chapter 18.
4. How do the geese exhibit their cleverness pertaining to hunting according to Bobby?
5. What does Bobby discover about books and education in Chapter 23?
6. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
7. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
8. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
9. Why does Bobby prefer shooting the geese to the quail?
10. Why do the locals love the period after Labor Day in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many autobiographical features in The Old Man and the Boy and are believed to belong to Ruark. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Ruark's life? Do some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)