|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose cooking does Bobby enjoy tremendously over the years?
2. What does the Old Man compare his favorite month of hunting to?
3. What does the Old Man say you have to be crazy to like hunting?
4. What does the Old Man imitate for the lost animal?
5. How long does Bobby try to train the animal that the Old Man bought for him instead of a horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man complain about being different from how it used to be in Chapter 27?
2. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
3. Why does Bobby hesitate to go to summer camp?
4. What does Bobby discover about books and education in Chapter 23?
5. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
6. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
7. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
8. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
9. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
10. How do the geese exhibit their cleverness pertaining to hunting according to Bobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as it exhibits in The Old Man and the Boy. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Bobby learn to make decisions for himself? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bobby. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)