|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of the year does Bobby love the way everything smells?
2. What is the Old Man's favorite month to hunt?
3. In Chapter 25, what does the Old Man say Bobby should teach him about?
4. What does the Old Man believe that he knows about life?
5. What used to cost five cents apiece and now is very expensive according to the Old Man in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the geese exhibit their cleverness pertaining to hunting according to Bobby?
2. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
3. How does Bobby transform his education and embrace school?
4. What is a noble character according to the Old Man and why does he dislike it?
5. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
6. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
7. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
8. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
9. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
10. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Bobby. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)