|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of men does Bobby meet with his grandfather when he leaves the house as his grandmother is cleaning?
2. What can Bobby hardly stand the anticipation of in November?
3. What kind of hunting does Bobby go on in Chapter 28?
4. How is a man different from a boy according to the Old Man?
5. What used to cost five cents apiece and now is very expensive according to the Old Man in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
2. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
3. What does the Old Man conclude about being a boy by the end of Chapter 26?
4. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
5. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
6. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
7. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
8. Why does Bobby love November?
9. Why will Bobby have to steer himself in Chapter 28?
10. How does Bobby respond to the Old Man's question about what he wants to be when he grows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)