|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to enjoy as it comes in Chapter 26?
2. What does Bobby ask for as his gift at Christmas?
3. What does the Old Man first say that he envies Bobby for in Chapter 25?
4. How is a man different from a boy according to the Old Man?
5. What two things does the Old Man find terrible about the kind of hunting he finds crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the locals love the period after Labor Day in Chapter 18?
2. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
3. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
4. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
5. How do the geese exhibit their cleverness pertaining to hunting according to Bobby?
6. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
7. Why does the Old Man love November?
8. What does the Old Man say about the behavior of women in Chapter 24?
9. Describe Bobby's interactions with the older men in the town in Chapter 18.
10. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as it exhibits in The Old Man and the Boy. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Bobby learn to make decisions for himself? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)