|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man say there is a time and place for in Chapter 25?
2. Where do the Old Man and Bobby pretend they are in Chapter 25?
3. What does Bobby find that he receives more of when he goes quail hunting with the Old Man in Chapter 20?
4. What does Bobby begin to notice a lot during the hunting trips?
5. How does the Old Man try to help the animal looking for its mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bobby respond to the Old Man's question about what he wants to be when he grows up?
2. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
3. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
4. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
5. Describe Bobby's interactions with the older men in the town in Chapter 18.
6. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
7. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
8. Why does the Old Man love November?
9. Why does Bobby love November?
10. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Love and sexuality is a theme of the book. Describe how Bobby grows aware of sexuality and the principles he learns about human love from the Old Man through examples in nature.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)