|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what does the Old Man say Bobby should teach him about?
2. Who is the person/figure that the Old Man describes to Bobby in Chapter 16?
3. What does Bobby have to do to get the animal the Old Man purchased for him to enter the cow pen?
4. What does the Old Man believe that he knows about life?
5. What does the Old Man tell Bobby that he can never get back in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
2. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
3. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
4. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
5. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
6. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
7. What does the Old Man conclude about being a boy by the end of Chapter 26?
8. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
9. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
10. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)