|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many geese does Bobby get when he shoots with two shotguns in a row?
2. What do Bobby and the Old Man like to hunt at night?
3. What does the Old Man think that he has learned to do at last?
4. Where do the Old Man and Bobby pretend they are in Chapter 25?
5. What is the Old Man's favorite month to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bobby tell the Old Man that he has learned most from him in Chapter 25?
2. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
3. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
4. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
5. Describe the change in terrapin availability mentioned in Chapter 27.
6. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
7. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
8. How does Bobby transform his education and embrace school?
9. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
10. Why do the locals love the period after Labor Day in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)