|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man first say that he envies Bobby for in Chapter 25?
2. What does the Old Man say there is a time and place for in Chapter 25?
3. In Chapter 25, what does the Old Man say Bobby should teach him about?
4. What does Bobby have to do to get the animal the Old Man purchased for him to enter the cow pen?
5. How long does Bobby try to train the animal that the Old Man bought for him instead of a horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
2. Why does Bobby hesitate to go to summer camp?
3. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
4. How does Bobby respond to the Old Man's question about what he wants to be when he grows up?
5. What does the Old Man say about the behavior of women in Chapter 24?
6. Why does Bobby prefer shooting the geese to the quail?
7. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
8. What does Bobby tell the Old Man that he has learned most from him in Chapter 25?
9. What does the Old Man conclude about being a boy by the end of Chapter 26?
10. What is a noble character according to the Old Man and why does he dislike it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Love and sexuality is a theme of the book. Describe how Bobby grows aware of sexuality and the principles he learns about human love from the Old Man through examples in nature.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)