|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lost animal do after hearing the Old Man?
2. Who learns to stay out of reach until the legal time for hunting them is over?
3. What does Bobby ask for as his gift at Christmas?
4. Where does Bobby say that he learned everything he knows in Chapter 25?
5. What used to cost five cents apiece and now is very expensive according to the Old Man in Chapter 27?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)