|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message that Bobby says has stuck out all these years in Chapter 25?
2. What does the Old Man tell Bobby that he can never get back in Chapter 26?
3. Who does Bobby accompany on missions to chase down bootleggers?
4. What seems very difficult to catch at night for the Old Man, Bobby and their friends
5. At what time of the year does Bobby love the way everything smells?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man say about the behavior of women in Chapter 24?
2. What does Bobby tell the Old Man that he has learned most from him in Chapter 25?
3. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
4. Why does Bobby hesitate to go to summer camp?
5. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
6. Describe Bobby's interactions with the older men in the town in Chapter 18.
7. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
8. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
9. Why does the Old Man love November?
10. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Old Man and the Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Old Man and the Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)