|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Old Man and Bobby take time to maintain that Bobby likes to play in Chapter 16?
2. Who wants fresh fish and convinces the Old Man to go fishing?
3. When Bobby gets his report card one year, what is his family very disappointed to see in Chapter 22?
4. Who inspires Bobby to get a horse?
5. In Chapter 25, what does the Old Man say Bobby should teach him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
2. Why will Bobby have to steer himself in Chapter 28?
3. Why does the Old Man love November?
4. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
5. What does the Old Man complain about being different from how it used to be in Chapter 27?
6. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
7. What does the Old Man say about the behavior of women in Chapter 24?
8. How does Bobby transform his education and embrace school?
9. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
10. What is a noble character according to the Old Man and why does he dislike it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)