|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man believe that he knows about life?
2. What area is left for fishing after the tourists leave in Chapter 17?
3. What two things does the Old Man find terrible about the kind of hunting he finds crazy?
4. What kind of men does Bobby meet with his grandfather when he leaves the house as his grandmother is cleaning?
5. What does Bobby get during the month of March?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is being a duck hunter crazy according to the Old Man?
2. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
3. Why does Bobby prefer shooting the geese to the quail?
4. Why does Bobby love November?
5. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
6. What does the Old Man conclude about being a boy by the end of Chapter 26?
7. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
8. Describe the change in terrapin availability mentioned in Chapter 27.
9. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
10. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme throughout the novel. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life?" How does Bobby gain knowledge in both? How does he change? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)