|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many geese does Bobby get when he shoots with two shotguns in a row?
2. What subject/topic does Bobby fail to apply himself in Chapter 22?
3. What does Bobby begin to notice a lot during the hunting trips?
4. What does the Old Man say there is a time and place for in Chapter 25?
5. What does the Old Man imitate for the lost animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bobby love November?
2. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
3. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
4. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
5. Why does Bobby hesitate to go to summer camp?
6. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
7. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
8. Why does Bobby prefer shooting the geese to the quail?
9. What is a noble character according to the Old Man and why does he dislike it?
10. What does the Old Man complain about being different from how it used to be in Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)