|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT an example of a food/item that has become expensive according to the Old Man?
2. What does the Old Man want to do with the remaining years of his life?
3. What kind of character does the Old Man warn Bobby to not be in Chapter 25?
4. What area is left for fishing after the tourists leave in Chapter 17?
5. What is the Old Man's favorite month to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
2. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
3. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
4. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
5. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
6. What is a noble character according to the Old Man and why does he dislike it?
7. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
8. Describe the change in terrapin availability mentioned in Chapter 27.
9. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
10. How does Bobby respond to the Old Man's question about what he wants to be when he grows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bobby. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)