|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man hate because of the effect bootlegging has on people?
2. Where does Bobby wait to shoot near a cornfield?
3. What does the Old Man think about his own learning process?
4. What do the Old Man and Bobby go hunting for in the marshes?
5. What does Bobby confiscate from the bootleggers in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bobby discover that quail hunting in February is bountiful?
2. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
3. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
4. How does the Old Man make an exception among ducks?
5. Why does Bobby prefer shooting the geese to the quail?
6. How does Bobby transform his education and embrace school?
7. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
8. What does Bobby tell the Old Man that he has learned most from him in Chapter 25?
9. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
10. Why does Bobby hesitate to go to summer camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Old Man and the Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Bobby. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)