|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best month to shoot quail according to the Old Man?
2. When Bobby gets his report card one year, what is his family very disappointed to see in Chapter 22?
3. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to pay attention to in Chapter 26?
4. What does the Old Man think about his own learning process?
5. What kind of psychology does the Old Man say that men must use on women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bobby discover about books and education in Chapter 23?
2. Why will Bobby have to steer himself in Chapter 28?
3. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
4. Why does Bobby love November?
5. What does Bobby feel that he does with regard to time and seasons in Chapter 26?
6. How do the geese exhibit their cleverness pertaining to hunting according to Bobby?
7. How does Bobby transform his education and embrace school?
8. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
9. What does the Old Man say about the behavior of women in Chapter 24?
10. Why does the Old Man love November?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Old Man and the Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)