|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a call do Bobby and his friends do to get animals to come out in Chapter 7?
2. Who comes to visit from Maryland in Chapter 5?
3. Who sometimes accompanies the Old Man and the group hunting as a camping chef?
4. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to do on/to the turtle?
5. In the afternoon, what giant animal comes out of the woods that Bobby shoots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
2. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
3. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
4. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
5. Why does the Old Man love November?
6. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
7. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
8. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
9. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
10. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title The Old Man and the Boy? How does this relate to the protagonist Bobby and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book The Old Man and the Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)