|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Lottie?
2. What does the Old Man teach Bobby to check about the gun?
3. How many eggs does the turtle lay on the beach in a hole?
4. In the white church meetings, what kind of dancing occurs?
5. Who is considered a man after successfully killing a buck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
2. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
3. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
4. How does Bobby train his new dog in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Bobby's experience of "becoming a man" in Chapter 6.
6. Describe Bob's new gun that he receives in Chapter 1.
7. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
8. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
9. How do the farmers maintain quail supplies over the fall and winter?
10. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)