|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Lottie suggest that the men go hunting in Chapter 7?
2. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to do on/to the turtle?
3. What kind of hunting do the Old Man and Bobby go in at the end of Chapter 12?
4. What does the Old Man make a medicine for the puppy that he gives Bobby?
5. Where does Bobby go to get nails in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
2. Describe Bob's new gun that he receives in Chapter 1.
3. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
4. Describe Mr. Howard.
5. Describe Carrie Mae.
6. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
7. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
8. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
9. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
10. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Man and the Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are many autobiographical features in The Old Man and the Boy and are believed to belong to Ruark. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Ruark's life? Do some research and discuss.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)