|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do farmers tell rich hunters that there is no quail in Chapter 13?
2. What damage will the Old Man and Bobby work on repairing in Chapter 11?
3. What does Bobby like to do with his friends instead of going to church?
4. What does Bobby see on the turtle's shell?
5. What does Bobby kill that sings at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carrie Mae.
2. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
3. How do the farmers maintain quail supplies over the fall and winter?
4. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
5. How does Bobby adapt and succeed at shooting a buck?
6. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
7. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
8. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
9. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
10. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ruark's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Old Man and the Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)