|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of characters does Bobby encounter in the fishing cove?
2. What do Bobby and the Old Man do with some of the turtle's eggs?
3. What do Bobby and the Old Man hunt in October and give to various people?
4. What kind of hunting do the Old Man and Bobby go in at the end of Chapter 12?
5. Where do the Old Man and Bobby decide to go to try hunting a turtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
2. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
3. Why does the Old Man love November?
4. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
5. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
6. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
7. What does the Old Man complain about being different from how it used to be in Chapter 27?
8. What lesson does the Old Man offer Bobby with regards to time and Christmas in Chapter 26?
9. Describe Bobby's experience that is similar to a young colt.
10. Why does Bobby love November?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as it exhibits in The Old Man and the Boy. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Bobby learn to make decisions for himself? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Education is an important theme throughout the novel. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life?" How does Bobby gain knowledge in both? How does he change? Describe.
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)