|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does the Old Man consider special and valuable?
2. Who comes to visit from Maryland in Chapter 5?
3. Where does Bobby find the Old Man sitting with other old men on the dock in Chapter 10?
4. What does the Old Man teach Bobby to check about the gun?
5. What does the Old Man say shooting ducks is all about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
2. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
3. What is the lesson that Bobby learns from having a dog in Chapter 7?
4. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
5. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
6. How do the farmers maintain quail supplies over the fall and winter?
7. Describe the difference between laziness and meditative loafing according to The Old Man.
8. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
9. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
10. Describe Bobby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)