|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month does an epidemic occur at Bobby's school?
2. What does Bobby think about as he sits in silence that makes him feel small and lonely?
3. What does Bobby kill that sings at night?
4. How old is Bobby when he gets his first gun?
5. What kind of a hunt does Bobby go on with the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will Bobby have to steer himself in Chapter 28?
2. Describe Bobby's attitude towards school in the beginning of Chapter 22.
3. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
4. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
5. Describe Bobby.
6. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
7. Describe Mr. Howard's home in Chapter 28.
8. What is the Old Man's threat about education and hunting and how does Bobby respond to it?
9. Describe the difference between laziness and meditative loafing according to The Old Man.
10. Describe the change in terrapin availability mentioned in Chapter 27.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title The Old Man and the Boy? How does this relate to the protagonist Bobby and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book The Old Man and the Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,717 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)