|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bobby's new boat called in Chapter 9?
2. Where does Bobby find the Old Man sitting with other old men on the dock in Chapter 10?
3. How many people go on the trip that the Old Man plans?
4. What does Bobby have to do while the dogs flush out the animal during the hunt in Chapter 6?
5. On Sunday, what do the Old Man and Bobby like to do in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
2. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
3. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
4. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
5. Describe Mr. Howard.
6. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
7. Describe the Old Man.
8. Describe Bob's new gun that he receives in Chapter 1.
9. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
10. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)