|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gun does Bobby receive in Chapter 1?
2. Who fails to shoot the animal during the hunt in Chapter 6 and is ashamed?
3. Why do farmers tell rich hunters that there is no quail in Chapter 13?
4. What kind of a call do Bobby and his friends do to get animals to come out in Chapter 7?
5. What kinds of characters does Bobby encounter in the fishing cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the turtle that Bobby finds with the Old Man.
2. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
3. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the difference between laziness and meditative loafing according to The Old Man.
5. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
6. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
7. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
8. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
9. How does Bobby train his new dog in Chapter 7?
10. Describe Mr. Howard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)