|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man like to do with his friend on his porch in Chapter 5?
2. What kind of church events does Bobby attend in Chapter 11?
3. What does the Old Man say that he is doing when he is sitting quietly on the dock?
4. Who does Bobby think interferes with chores when he wants time alone?
5. What does the Old Man teach Bobby to check about the gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
2. Describe Bobby's experience of "becoming a man" in Chapter 6.
3. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
4. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
5. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
6. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
7. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
8. How does Bobby train his new dog in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
10. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ruark's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)