Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a call do Bobby and his friends do to get animals to come out in Chapter 7?
2. Who comes to visit from Maryland in Chapter 5?
3. Who sometimes accompanies the Old Man and the group hunting as a camping chef?
4. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to do on/to the turtle?
5. In the afternoon, what giant animal comes out of the woods that Bobby shoots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
2. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
3. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
4. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
5. Why does the Old Man love November?
6. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
7. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
8. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
9. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
10. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Ruark's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Education is an important theme throughout the novel. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life?" How does Bobby gain knowledge in both? How does he change? Describe.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)