|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bobby's new boat called in Chapter 9?
2. What does Bobby love about the black church meetings?
3. During what month does an epidemic occur at Bobby's school?
4. What do the Old Man and the Boy put out to catch live shrimp for bait in Chapter 4?
5. What does the Old Man say hunting quail is all about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Old Man.
2. Describe Bobby.
3. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
4. What is the lesson that Bobby learns from having a dog in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
6. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
7. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
8. Describe Mr. Howard.
9. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
10. How does Bobby adapt and succeed at shooting a buck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
There are many autobiographical features in The Old Man and the Boy and are believed to belong to Ruark. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Ruark's life? Do some research and discuss.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)