|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby love to eat as much as possible during Christmas at roasts in Chapter 13?
2. What are the women doing in Chapter 10 that makes Bobby nervous?
3. In September, what does the Old Man take Bobby fishing for on the weekends?
4. How many eggs does the turtle lay on the beach in a hole?
5. What animal was NOT shot during the hunt in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
2. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
3. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
4. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
5. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
7. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
8. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
9. Describe the difference between laziness and meditative loafing according to The Old Man.
10. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)