|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Lottie?
2. In the afternoon, what giant animal comes out of the woods that Bobby shoots?
3. What is it important to train a bird dog to be like?
4. What does the Old Man want the boy to exercise regarding shooting in Chapter 13?
5. What animal does Bobby NOT want the puppy to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
2. Describe the turtle that Bobby finds with the Old Man.
3. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
4. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
5. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
6. Describe the Old Man.
7. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
8. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
9. How do the farmers maintain quail supplies over the fall and winter?
10. Describe Mr. Howard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme throughout the novel. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life?" How does Bobby gain knowledge in both? How does he change? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title The Old Man and the Boy? How does this relate to the protagonist Bobby and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book The Old Man and the Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)