|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby see that makes him feel energized to work in Chapter 11?
2. What does the Old Man teach Bobby to check about the gun?
3. What kind of church events does Bobby attend in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Bobby find the Old Man sitting with other old men on the dock in Chapter 10?
5. What does the Old Man do after Bobby kills the bird that sings at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
2. Describe Bob's new gun that he receives in Chapter 1.
3. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
4. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
5. Describe Bobby.
6. Describe the Old Man.
7. How do the farmers maintain quail supplies over the fall and winter?
8. How does Bobby adapt and succeed at shooting a buck?
9. What is the lesson that Bobby learns from having a dog in Chapter 7?
10. Describe Mr. Howard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bobby and the Old Man are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Bobby had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Old Man had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Love and sexuality is a theme of the book. Describe how Bobby grows aware of sexuality and the principles he learns about human love from the Old Man through examples in nature.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)