|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Old Man and his friend do to Bobby after he shoots the animal?
2. During what month does an epidemic occur at Bobby's school?
3. What do Bobby and the Old Man do with some of the turtle's eggs?
4. How many years had Bobby gone without shooting anyone when he got the gift of a new gun from the Old Man?
5. What does Bobby see on the turtle's shell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
2. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
3. Describe Bobby's experience that is similar to a young colt.
4. Describe the difference between laziness and meditative loafing according to The Old Man.
5. Describe the turtle that Bobby finds with the Old Man.
6. Describe Mr. Howard.
7. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
8. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
9. Describe Carrie Mae.
10. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)