|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bobby find the Old Man sitting with other old men on the dock in Chapter 10?
2. What is it important to train a bird dog to be like?
3. What kind of a hunt does Bobby go on with the Old Man and his friend the morning after they arrive?
4. What epidemic forces the closing of Bobby's school in Chapter 13?
5. What does Bobby kill that sings at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
2. Why does the Old Man resent Bobby in Chapter 26?
3. Describe Mr. Howard.
4. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
5. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
6. Describe the turtle that Bobby finds with the Old Man.
7. Why does Bobby go to Maryland in Chapter 28?
8. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
9. Why does Bobby hesitate to go to summer camp?
10. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
There are many autobiographical features in The Old Man and the Boy and are believed to belong to Ruark. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Ruark's life? Do some research and discuss.
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)