|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a call do Bobby and his friends do to get animals to come out in Chapter 7?
2. Who comes to visit from Maryland in Chapter 5?
3. Who sometimes accompanies the Old Man and the group hunting as a camping chef?
4. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to do on/to the turtle?
5. In the afternoon, what giant animal comes out of the woods that Bobby shoots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
2. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
3. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
4. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
5. Why does the Old Man love November?
6. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
7. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
8. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
9. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
10. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
Adventure is a recurring theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Why is adventure important? How does this help Bobby grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Bobby has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Bobby grows, matures, learns and develops in The Old Man and the Boy. What are some of his milestones? How does he change? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)