Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a call do Bobby and his friends do to get animals to come out in Chapter 7?
2. Who comes to visit from Maryland in Chapter 5?
3. Who sometimes accompanies the Old Man and the group hunting as a camping chef?
4. What does the Old Man tell Bobby to do on/to the turtle?
5. In the afternoon, what giant animal comes out of the woods that Bobby shoots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
2. Why does Bobby receive a gun from the Old Man as he turns 11?
3. Describe how the Old Man demonstrates the power of money to Bobby in Chapter 28.
4. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
5. Why does the Old Man love November?
6. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
7. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
8. What does the Old Man say separates the men from the boys?
9. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
10. What does the Old Man say about knowledge in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Coming of age is a major theme of The Old Man and the Sea. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Bobby have that help him progress through puberty and into adulthood? Explain.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)