|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby see on the turtle's shell?
2. Who comes to visit from Maryland in Chapter 5?
3. What does the Old Man say that he is doing when he is sitting quietly on the dock?
4. What do Bobby and the Old Man hunt in October and give to various people?
5. What does the Old Man do after Bobby kills the bird that sings at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
2. Describe Mr. Howard.
3. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
4. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
5. Describe Bobby's experience that is similar to a young colt.
6. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
7. How does Bobby adapt and succeed at shooting a buck?
8. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
9. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
10. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title The Old Man and the Boy? How does this relate to the protagonist Bobby and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book The Old Man and the Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Old Man and the Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)