|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby retrieve on expeditions at his grandparents' house?
2. Who sometimes accompanies the Old Man and the group hunting as a camping chef?
3. Where does Bobby find the Old Man sitting with other old men on the dock in Chapter 10?
4. With whom does the Old Man carefully cultivate relationships with and bring meat and grain on credit?
5. What does Bobby think about as he sits in silence that makes him feel small and lonely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson that Bobby learns from having a dog in Chapter 7?
2. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
3. How does Bobby train his new dog in Chapter 7?
4. Describe Mr. Howard.
5. How does Bobby adapt and succeed at shooting a buck?
6. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
7. Why does the Old Man discourage Bobby from getting a horse?
8. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
9. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
10. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Old Man and the Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social, cultural and economic environment of The Old Man and the Boy. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How does the Old Man offer his values and beliefs to Bobby? What effect does this have on Bobby and which values does he adopt? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for The Old Man and the Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in The Old Man and the Boy?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)