|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a trip is the Old Man and his friend planning that Bobby desperately wants to go on?
2. What does the Old Man do after Bobby kills the bird that sings at night?
3. How many animals does Bobby capture with the Indians in Chapter 6?
4. What is the new gun that Bobby receives from the Old Man as a gift with his name on it?
5. What does Bobby love to eat as much as possible during Christmas at roasts in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
2. How does the hunting group in Chapter 7 find and get the turkeys to come out?
3. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
4. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
5. Describe Mr. Howard.
6. How does Bobby train his new dog in Chapter 7?
7. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
8. Describe the turtle that Bobby finds with the Old Man.
9. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
10. How does Bobby adapt and succeed at shooting a buck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Bobby. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are many autobiographical features in The Old Man and the Boy and are believed to belong to Ruark. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Ruark's life? Do some research and discuss.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)