|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people go on the trip that the Old Man plans?
2. What does the Old Man get in exchange for bringing meat and grain on credit?
3. What does the Old Man say that Bobby has learned from sitting in silence in Chapter 11?
4. What is the new gun that Bobby receives from the Old Man as a gift with his name on it?
5. Who is Bobby's teacher that he has a crush on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
2. Describe Bob's new gun that he receives in Chapter 1.
3. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
4. Describe what Bobby shoots in Chapter 13.
5. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
6. Describe Mr. Howard.
7. Describe how loafing is special and private according to The Old Man.
8. Describe some of the customs that the Old Man and Bobby do in the month of October.
9. What is important about the attitude of a bird dog according to the Old Man?
10. How does Bobby train his new dog in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through hunting, Bobby learns important lessons about hard work, patience and perseverance. How is his natural skill revealed? What is important to Bobby as he hunts? What does he learn subsequently that alters the way he thinks and acts? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as it exhibits in The Old Man and the Boy. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Bobby learn to make decisions for himself? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in The Old Man and the Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)