|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a call do Bobby and his friends do to get animals to come out in Chapter 7?
2. What kind of boat does the Old Man take Bobby on first where the fish flock to the boat?
3. Who sometimes accompanies the Old Man and the group hunting as a camping chef?
4. What kinds of signs are all over the property of the rich man that Bobby notices in Chapter 7?
5. Who did NOT go hunting along with Bobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bobby's first experience on a boat.
2. Describe Bob's new gun that he receives in Chapter 1.
3. How does Bobby learn humility in Chapter 10?
4. Describe Bobby's experience buck hunting initially.
5. Describe the camping trip preparations and arrival in Chapter 5.
6. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
7. What is the lesson that Bobby learns from having a dog in Chapter 7?
8. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
9. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
10. What happens to Aphrodite and the eggs in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aging and the approach of death is a theme in The Old Man and the Boy. Who is growing old? Who is growing older? How do these characters change over time? How does age influence decisions and the characters' approach to life? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Education is an important theme throughout the novel. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life?" How does Bobby gain knowledge in both? How does he change? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of the female character of Miss Lottie with Carrie Mae in the book with the Old Man. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)