|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a hunt does Bobby go on with the Indians?
2. What does the Old Man get in exchange for bringing meat and grain on credit?
3. On Sunday, what do the Old Man and Bobby like to do in Chapter 12?
4. What does the Old Man say shooting ducks is all about?
5. What is the name of the puppy that the Old Man gives Bobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Old Man says and does about summer time and fishing.
2. Describe Carrie Mae.
3. How do the farmers maintain quail supplies over the fall and winter?
4. Describe Bobby's experience with the goat he purchases.
5. What is the lesson that Bobby learns from having a dog in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the turtle that Bobby finds with the Old Man.
7. How does the Old Man teach Bobby to have caution in Chapter 13?
8. How does Bobby learn to shoot ducks in Chapter 3?
9. Describe Bobby's experience over the holidays with his grandparents.
10. Describe Mr. Howard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruark employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
The Old Man and the Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title The Old Man and the Boy? How does this relate to the protagonist Bobby and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book The Old Man and the Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)