• Bobby spends the summers and holidays at his grandparents house in rural South Carolina.
• The boy is so interested in the lessons that he learns from the Old Man, that he rarely mentions other family members.
• When Bobby is eight years old, the Old Man gives him a gun, a little 20-gauge that the boy is intensely proud of.
• The Old Man tells Bobby that he must practice gun safety because Bobby's mother does not think he is old enough to be trusted with a gun, even a little one.
• In order to teach him lessons about gun safety, the Old Man does things like taking the gun away from the boy, and secretly reloading the gun, teaches Bobby to always check.
• The Old Man compares one's attitude in life to the way a bird dog behaves.
• He says that it is very important to train...
This section contains 6,716 words
(approx. 23 pages at 300 words per page)