|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color cat comes into the Hempstock kitchen in Chapter 13?
2. What type of tree do the hunger birds devour in Chapter 14?
3. What takes Lettie away in Chapter 14?
4. What does Lettie look like in the ocean?
5. After the birds are gone in Chapter 14, what does the narrator notice Old Mrs. Hempstock wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator leave the lane and cut across the fields in Chapter 8?
2. How is the television set described in the narrator’s parents’ room?
3. How does the narrator describe the clothes that have been left out for him in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Ginnie take Lettie after she's been attacked by the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
5. What do the cleaners look like?
6. How does the narrator get out of his locked bedroom in Chapter 8?
7. In Chapter 10, what does the narrator see outside the window when he wakes in the night?
8. What does Lettie bring when she finally arrives in Chapter 13?
9. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
10. What comes out at dusk when the narrator is in the fairy ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Lettie takes the narrator along when she goes to bind the creature that is causing problems. Why does Lettie take the narrator with her? What instructions does she give the narrator? Why does the narrator disobey? Is Lettie able to bind the creature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's first impressions of Ursula when he meets her. Who does the narrator think that Ursula is? Why? What does he see when he looks at her? What does she do that makes it seem as though she has inhuman powers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ursula's entrance into the narrator's world. How did she enter? What remnants does the narrator bear on his body to show how she came? What do the Hempstock women do about the passage?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)