|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As night falls, what can the narrator see flying above him in Chapter 12?
2. How is the weather described in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 14, where does Ginnie lay Lettie down after Lettie is hurt?
4. After the narrator wakes in Chapter 10, who helps him find his way downstairs?
5. Who is the first person that the narrator sees when he is standing in the circle in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator leave the lane and cut across the fields in Chapter 8?
2. What suggestions are made for dealing with the narrator's parents before they arrive at the Hempstocks' home in Chapter 9?
3. What does Lettie collect in an old shopping bag to take to the narrator’s house in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Ursula say when she is sent to talk to the narrator in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Lettie praise the narrator in Chapter 13?
6. In Chapter 10, what does the narrator see outside the window when he wakes in the night?
7. What happens when the narrator runs to the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
8. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
9. How does the narrator get out of his locked bedroom in Chapter 8?
10. Where do Lettie, Ginnie, and the narrator go in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ursula refuse to leave in Chapter 11? How does Lettie respond to Ursula's refusal to depart? Why does Ursula change her mind?
Essay Topic 2
In the end of the story, the narrator expresses feelings of guilt related to Lettie's disappearance. Why does the narrator feel this way? Are his feelings justified? Was the narrator to blame for what happened?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ursula's attempt to enter the wormhole in Chapter 11. What happens when the jar is opened and the wormhole turned out upon the ground? What does the wormhole look like when it is on the ground? Does it look big enough for Ursula to go through? Why doesn’t she use it to return?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)