|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does Lettie say that makes the narrator forget his hunger and fear?
2. What type of footwear does the narrator wear in Chapter 10?
3. What is the narrator singing when he sees Ursula outside the circle in Chapter 12?
4. Where does Lettie tell the narrator to stay at the end of Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 10, what wakes the narrator in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say he misses about childhood in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Ursula say when she is sent to talk to the narrator in Chapter 12?
3. What do the hunger birds do when Lettie and Ginnie tell them they can’t come onto Hempstock land?
4. Why does Lettie say the narrator cannot stay in the ocean forever in Chapter 13?
5. How does the narrator describe the clothes that have been left out for him in Chapter 10?
6. What does Ursula threaten to do to the narrator when she catches him in Chapter 8?
7. Where do Lettie, Ginnie, and the narrator go in Chapter 14?
8. What do the cleaners look like?
9. What does Lettie collect in an old shopping bag to take to the narrator’s house in Chapter 10?
10. How does the narrator get out of his locked bedroom in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Lettie brings the ocean to the narrator. How does Lettie do this? Why doesn’t Lettie take the narrator to the ocean? How does the ocean bring the narrator to safety?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, the cleaners say that the narrator will never be happy in the world.
a. Why did they say he would never be happy?
b. From reading the Prologue and Epilogue, was the narrator’s life as the cleaners described it in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, the narrator finds himself reading to try to quell his fears. How would you describe the narrator’s reading habits? Why does he enjoy reading so much? What does reading take the place of in his life?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)