|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second person that the narrator sees when he sits inside the circle?
2. What is old Mrs. Hempstock doing when the narrator comes to her house in Chapter 9?
3. What flavor is the tooth powder that the narrator uses in Chapter 10?
4. What does the narrator have for dessert in Chapter 13?
5. What constellation do the hunger birds devour from the sky in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does the narrator see as he settles into the fairy ring?
2. What happens when the narrator runs to the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
3. What is the purpose of the hole that Ursula left inside the narrator?
4. What comes out at dusk when the narrator is in the fairy ring?
5. What does the narrator say he misses about childhood in Chapter 13?
6. The narrator says in Chapter 11 that he has only seen grownups cry twice. How does he describe these events?
7. What does Ursula do in Chapter 11 when she finds the way back through the wormhole blocked?
8. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
9. How is the television set described in the narrator’s parents’ room?
10. What do the cleaners look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Lettie gathers a mishmash of objects before she confronts Ursula. What are some of the things that Lettie gathers? How much trouble did she have to go to to collect those things? How does Lettie use the items? Do the items work as intended?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Lettie brings the ocean to the narrator. How does Lettie do this? Why doesn’t Lettie take the narrator to the ocean? How does the ocean bring the narrator to safety?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ursula's entrance into the narrator's world. How did she enter? What remnants does the narrator bear on his body to show how she came? What do the Hempstock women do about the passage?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)