|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To the narrator, how long does it seem like it has been since the creatures have eaten by the way they devour Ursula, ?
2. At the beginning of his ordeal in the fairy ring, what does the narrator do to distract himself from seeing someone talking to him outside the circle?
3. What does Lettie do when Ursula refuses to put the narrator down in Chapter 11?
4. Who is the first person that the narrator sees when he is standing in the circle in Chapter 12?
5. What does Lettie look like in the ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Hempstocks serve the narrator for dinner in Chapter 9?
2. How is the television set described in the narrator’s parents’ room?
3. In Chapter 10, what does the narrator see outside the window when he wakes in the night?
4. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
5. What does Ursula do in Chapter 11 when she finds the way back through the wormhole blocked?
6. What comes out at dusk when the narrator is in the fairy ring?
7. What do the hunger birds do when Lettie and Ginnie tell them they can’t come onto Hempstock land?
8. What do the cleaners look like?
9. Where do Lettie, Ginnie, and the narrator go in Chapter 14?
10. How does the narrator describe his encounter with the opal miner in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circumstances that lead to Lettie's disappearance in Chapter 14. Why did Lettie feel it was necessary to tackle the narrator? What would have happened to the narrator if Lettie hadn’t intervened? Where is Lettie taken by Ginnie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's escape from his locked bedroom in Chapter 8. What emotions go through the narrator’s mind when he realizes that Ursula has locked him in? How does the narrator escape? Does he leave because of fear or courage?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Lettie takes the narrator along when she goes to bind the creature that is causing problems. Why does Lettie take the narrator with her? What instructions does she give the narrator? Why does the narrator disobey? Is Lettie able to bind the creature?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)