|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what type of jam does the narrator eat with his toast?
2. What do the Hempstocks give to the narrator’s parents after they bring his toothbrush to him?
3. From where does Lettie seem to come in Chapter 12 as the narrator waits in the fairy ring?
4. What does the moon look like as Ginnie carries Lettie in Chapter 14?
5. What does the narrator realize when he steps into the ocean in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comes out at dusk when the narrator is in the fairy ring?
2. What do the hunger birds do when Lettie and Ginnie tell them they can’t come onto Hempstock land?
3. What does Lettie bring when she finally arrives in Chapter 13?
4. What does Ursula do in Chapter 11 when she finds the way back through the wormhole blocked?
5. What does Ursula threaten to do to the narrator when she catches him in Chapter 8?
6. How does the narrator describe the clothes that have been left out for him in Chapter 10?
7. The narrator says in Chapter 11 that he has only seen grownups cry twice. How does he describe these events?
8. How does the narrator describe his encounter with the opal miner in Chapter 12?
9. How does the narrator get out of his locked bedroom in Chapter 8?
10. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrator's nature and his interests. How are these interests illustrated through his birthday gifts? Why doesn’t the narrator have a lot of friends? Who does he consider his friends?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ursula refuse to leave in Chapter 11? How does Lettie respond to Ursula's refusal to depart? Why does Ursula change her mind?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of memory in The Ocean at the End of the Lane. How have the narrator's memories led him to the Hempstock farm? How do the narrator's memories change in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)