|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of footwear does the narrator wear in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 9, what color thread does Granny use when she is snipping and sewing?
3. Where has Lettie been scratched when she returns in Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 14, what do the hunger birds say they have devoured?
5. In Chapter 8, what does the narrator touch just as Ursula is about to descend upon him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his encounter with the opal miner in Chapter 12?
2. What does the narrator say he misses about childhood in Chapter 13?
3. What do the hunger birds do when Lettie and Ginnie tell them they can’t come onto Hempstock land?
4. What is the purpose of the hole that Ursula left inside the narrator?
5. What does the narrator have for breakfast at the Hempstock home in Chapter 10?
6. In Chapter 10, what does the narrator see outside the window when he wakes in the night?
7. How does the narrator describe the clothes that have been left out for him in Chapter 10?
8. What does Ursula do in Chapter 11 when she finds the way back through the wormhole blocked?
9. What happens when the narrator runs to the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
10. The narrator says in Chapter 11 that he has only seen grownups cry twice. How does he describe these events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ursula's entrance into the narrator's world. How did she enter? What remnants does the narrator bear on his body to show how she came? What do the Hempstock women do about the passage?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, the narrator has to share a room with his sister. What happens in the family that makes it necessary for the narrator to give up his bedroom? Why does he have mixed feelings about the move?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circumstances that lead to Lettie's disappearance in Chapter 14. Why did Lettie feel it was necessary to tackle the narrator? What would have happened to the narrator if Lettie hadn’t intervened? Where is Lettie taken by Ginnie?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)