|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color suit does the narrator wear in the Prologue?
2. What is the name of the Hempstocks' cow?
3. How far does the narrator pull out the worm from his foot before it resists?
4. What type of dog does the secretary who works for the narrator’s father have?
5. In Chapter 7, what is the weather like when the narrator awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new job has the narrator's mother taken in Chapter 6?
2. Where did the narrator live growing up? At what point did his family move?
3. Who steals the narrator’s father’s car in Chapter 2? Why?
4. How does the narrator describe his family's last housekeeper in Chapter 6?
5. How does the narrator describe his seventh birthday party in Chapter 1?
6. What does the narrator’s father do in Chapter 7 after the narrator refuses to eat or apologize to Ursula?
7. From whom does the narrator receive a letter in Chapter 3? What is revealed in the letter?
8. Why does the narrator say that his father has never hit him?
9. What does the narrator like and dislike about sharing a bedroom with his sister?
10. What does the narrator find when he examines his foot in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Lettie brings the ocean to the narrator. How does Lettie do this? Why doesn’t Lettie take the narrator to the ocean? How does the ocean bring the narrator to safety?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's nature and his interests. How are these interests illustrated through his birthday gifts? Why doesn’t the narrator have a lot of friends? Who does he consider his friends?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Lettie gathers a mishmash of objects before she confronts Ursula. What are some of the things that Lettie gathers? How much trouble did she have to go to to collect those things? How does Lettie use the items? Do the items work as intended?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)