|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Lettie looking for in Chapter 4?
2. Where does the narrator go the morning after his confrontation with Ursula in Chapter 7?
3. What color bathtub is in the narrator’s house?
4. In Chapter 2, how many beds are described in the narrator’s sister’s room?
5. What is the name of the cat that turns up at Hempstock Farm in pagan days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator get rid of the worm after removing it from his foot?
2. What items lead Lettie to the creature in Chapter 4?
3. How does the narrator describe his seventh birthday party in Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator describe having cut out of his knee with a penknife in Chapter 5? What did he learn?
5. What does the narrator like and dislike about sharing a bedroom with his sister?
6. What does Mr. Wollery find in the garden in Chapter 3?
7. Where does the narrator go while the police deal with the narrator’s father’s car and its contents in Chapter 2?
8. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Wollery? What are their positions in the narrator's household?
9. What does the narrator’s father do when he comes home from work in Chapter 7?
10. Why does the narrator let go of Lettie’s hand in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Lettie gathers a mishmash of objects before she confronts Ursula. What are some of the things that Lettie gathers? How much trouble did she have to go to to collect those things? How does Lettie use the items? Do the items work as intended?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's relationship with Lettie in the novel. What are some examples in the novel that illustrate the narrator's trust of Lettie? Is Lettie worthy of the narrator's trust? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are some examples of foreshadowing used in the narrative? How does foreshadowing advance the plot? How does it increase tension in the novel?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)