|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills the fish in Lettie’s ocean in Chapter 2?
2. What color shirt is the narrator’s father wearing in Chapter 7?
3. In the bottle of coins the gardener finds in the garden, what is the latest date on the coins?
4. In Chapter 2, what color blanket is described in the back seat of the narrator’s father’s car?
5. What types of trees line the side of the meadow at the Hempstock farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lettie find the way to the creature to bind it in Chapter 4?
2. Where does the narrator go while the police deal with the narrator’s father’s car and its contents in Chapter 2?
3. Where does the narrator like to read on nice spring days?
4. How does the narrator describe Ursula when she first arrives?
5. Describe the narrator's dream in Chapter 3. What does the narrator discover when he wakes?
6. How does the narrator describe the clearing that he and Lettie enter in their search for the creature in Chapter 4?
7. What does the narrator’s father do in Chapter 7 after the narrator refuses to eat or apologize to Ursula?
8. What does the narrator describe having cut out of his knee with a penknife in Chapter 5? What did he learn?
9. How does the narrator get rid of the worm after removing it from his foot?
10. Why does the narrator have to share a room with his sister in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator's relationship with his father. What type of boy was the narrator's father growing up? How does the narrator’s father punish his son? Why is there tension between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of memory in The Ocean at the End of the Lane. How have the narrator's memories led him to the Hempstock farm? How do the narrator's memories change in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Lettie gathers a mishmash of objects before she confronts Ursula. What are some of the things that Lettie gathers? How much trouble did she have to go to to collect those things? How does Lettie use the items? Do the items work as intended?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)