|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the doors on the outside of the outside toilet at the narrator’s house?
2. What type of vehicle does the narrator’s father get in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of the cat the opal miner gives to the narrator?
4. What is the setting of the story that the narrator reads after his father and Ursula come in from the gardens in Chapter 7?
5. Around what time of day does the man commit suicide in the narrator’s father’s car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Ursula when she first arrives?
2. What are narcissi and what are they named for?
3. How does the narrator describe his family's last housekeeper in Chapter 6?
4. What does the narrator describe having cut out of his knee with a penknife in Chapter 5? What did he learn?
5. Where does the narrator go while the police deal with the narrator’s father’s car and its contents in Chapter 2?
6. What new job has the narrator's mother taken in Chapter 6?
7. Why does the narrator let go of Lettie’s hand in Chapter 4?
8. What does the narrator like and dislike about sharing a bedroom with his sister?
9. What does the narrator find when he examines his foot in Chapter 5?
10. How does the narrator describe his seventh birthday party in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end of the story, the narrator expresses feelings of guilt related to Lettie's disappearance. Why does the narrator feel this way? Are his feelings justified? Was the narrator to blame for what happened?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's relationship with his father. What type of boy was the narrator's father growing up? How does the narrator’s father punish his son? Why is there tension between the two?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Lettie gathers a mishmash of objects before she confronts Ursula. What are some of the things that Lettie gathers? How much trouble did she have to go to to collect those things? How does Lettie use the items? Do the items work as intended?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)