|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator read at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. On what day of the week does the narrator receive a letter saying he won the Premium Bonds?
3. In Chapter 7, what flowers can the narrator see as he watches his father and Ursula walk around the gardens?
4. What color suit does the narrator wear in the Prologue?
5. What is the name of the cat that turns up at Hempstock Farm in pagan days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator like and dislike about sharing a bedroom with his sister?
2. How does the narrator describe his family's last housekeeper in Chapter 6?
3. What does the narrator describe having cut out of his knee with a penknife in Chapter 5? What did he learn?
4. Why does the narrator say that his father has never hit him?
5. What does the narrator find when he examines his foot in Chapter 5?
6. How does the narrator describe the clearing that he and Lettie enter in their search for the creature in Chapter 4?
7. What does Mr. Wollery find in the garden in Chapter 3?
8. How does the narrator get rid of the worm after removing it from his foot?
9. How does the narrator describe the lane that he drives in the Prologue?
10. Where does the narrator go while the police deal with the narrator’s father’s car and its contents in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, the cleaners say that the narrator will never be happy in the world.
a. Why did they say he would never be happy?
b. From reading the Prologue and Epilogue, was the narrator’s life as the cleaners described it in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the hunger birds in the novel. What do they look like? What is another name for these creatures? What is their purpose? What do the creatures do to Ursula?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Lettie brings the ocean to the narrator. How does Lettie do this? Why doesn’t Lettie take the narrator to the ocean? How does the ocean bring the narrator to safety?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)