|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does Lettie say that makes the narrator forget his hunger and fear?
(a) That she had come to take the hole out of his heart.
(b) That he did a good job staying in the fairy ring.
(c) That the cleaners were gone forever.
(d) That they could leave now.
2. What does Lettie bring to the narrator in Chapter 13?
(a) Her mother.
(c) The ocean.
3. What takes Lettie away in Chapter 14?
(a) Hunger birds.
(b) A huge wave.
(d) A doctor.
4. Where has Lettie been scratched when she returns in Chapter 10?
(a) Her knee.
(b) Her right arm.
(c) Her cheek.
(d) Her left arm.
5. From where does Lettie seem to come in Chapter 12 as the narrator waits in the fairy ring?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The laboratory.
(c) Among the rhododendrons.
(d) Under the beech tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what color does the meadow explode into?
2. When the narrator is in the ocean, what can he see above and below him?
3. In Chapter 10, what is the first item that Lettie sets down in the narrator’s yard?
4. In Chapter 9, what is Lettie’s mother doing when the narrator arrives at the house?
5. In Chapter 9, where does the narrator take a bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does the narrator see as he settles into the fairy ring?
3. What is the purpose of the hole that Ursula left inside the narrator?
4. What do the Hempstocks serve the narrator for dinner in Chapter 9?
5. What suggestions are made for dealing with the narrator's parents before they arrive at the Hempstocks' home in Chapter 9?
6. The narrator says in Chapter 11 that he has only seen grownups cry twice. How does he describe these events?
7. What does the narrator say he misses about childhood in Chapter 13?
8. Why does the narrator leave the lane and cut across the fields in Chapter 8?
9. What does Ursula do in Chapter 11 when she finds the way back through the wormhole blocked?
10. What does Lettie collect in an old shopping bag to take to the narrator’s house in Chapter 10?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)