|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fragile does the narrator realize that the reality of his world is in Chapter 13?
(a) As fragile as makeup on a woman’s face.
(b) As fragile as icing on a birthday cake.
(c) As fragile as leaves on a tree.
(d) As fragile as drops of rain on a sidewalk.
2. What do the Hempstocks serve the narrator for dinner in Chapter 9?
(a) Chicken pot pie with vegetables.
(b) Beef, potatoes, greens, and carrots.
(c) Beef pot pie with vegetables.
(d) Chicken, bread, and greens.
3. From where does Lettie seem to come in Chapter 12 as the narrator waits in the fairy ring?
(a) The laboratory.
(b) The ocean.
(c) Among the rhododendrons.
(d) Under the beech tree.
4. Why do the cleaners refuse to leave?
(a) They are still hungry.
(b) They like earth.
(c) Lettie doesn’t have enough power to make them go back.
(d) There is still a bit of Ursula in the narrator.
5. What type of vehicle drives past as the narrator runs toward the Hempstock Farm in Chapter 8?
(a) A black mini.
(b) A yellow lorry.
(c) A white van.
(d) A red Rover.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator is in the ocean, what can he see above and below him?
2. What type of footwear does the narrator wear in Chapter 10?
3. How is the weather described in Chapter 8?
4. Where does Lettie tell the narrator to stay at the end of Chapter 11?
5. How many times does the narrator say he had seen grownups cry in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the hole that Ursula left inside the narrator?
2. Where does Ginnie take Lettie after she's been attacked by the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
3. What does the narrator say he misses about childhood in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 10, what does the narrator see outside the window when he wakes in the night?
5. What does Lettie bring when she finally arrives in Chapter 13?
6. What does the narrator have for breakfast at the Hempstock home in Chapter 10?
7. Why is Ursula unable to go through the wormhole in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Lettie praise the narrator in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Lettie say the narrator cannot stay in the ocean forever in Chapter 13?
10. What does the narrator do after arriving at the Hempstock home in Chapter 9?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)