|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Hempstocks serve the narrator for dinner in Chapter 9?
(a) Beef pot pie with vegetables.
(b) Chicken pot pie with vegetables.
(c) Beef, potatoes, greens, and carrots.
(d) Chicken, bread, and greens.
2. Who is the first person that the narrator sees when he is standing in the circle in Chapter 12?
(a) His grandfather.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) The opal miner.
3. What is old Mrs. Hempstock doing when the narrator comes to her house in Chapter 9?
(a) Stirring a pot on the stove.
(b) Rummaging in the pantry.
(c) Scrubbing the floor.
(d) Washing windows.
4. After the narrator wakes in Chapter 10, who helps him find his way downstairs?
(b) The kitten.
(d) Old Mrs. Hempstock.
5. What does the moon look like as Ginnie carries Lettie in Chapter 14?
(a) A quarter moon.
(b) A full moon.
(c) A half moon.
(d) A three-quarters moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the narrator say he had seen grownups cry in Chapter 11?
2. What color does Old Mrs. Hempstock emanate when she scolds the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
3. How far is the narrator's bedroom window said to be from the ground in Chapter 8?
4. Where does Lettie tell the narrator to stay at the end of Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 11, how high does Ursula hold the narrator off the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say he misses about childhood in Chapter 13?
2. Why does the narrator leave the lane and cut across the fields in Chapter 8?
3. How does the narrator describe his encounter with the opal miner in Chapter 12?
4. Why does Lettie say the narrator cannot stay in the ocean forever in Chapter 13?
5. What do the Hempstocks serve the narrator for dinner in Chapter 9?
6. What does Ursula do in Chapter 11 when she finds the way back through the wormhole blocked?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does the narrator see as he settles into the fairy ring?
8. What does Lettie bring when she finally arrives in Chapter 13?
9. What does Ursula threaten to do to the narrator when she catches him in Chapter 8?
10. Where do Lettie, Ginnie, and the narrator go in Chapter 14?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)