|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how much does the narrator win in the Premium Bonds?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 25 pounds.
(c) 500 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
2. In Chapter 7, what does Ursula threaten to do if the narrator tries to leave the property?
(a) Whip him.
(b) Lock him in his room.
(c) Starve him.
(d) Feed him bugs.
3. On what day of the week does the narrator receive a letter saying he won the Premium Bonds?
4. Around what time of day does the man commit suicide in the narrator’s father’s car?
(a) 2 a.m.
(d) 3 a.m.
5. How does the narrator stop the light from hitting the hole in his foot in Chapter 5?
(a) He uses a box.
(b) He uses the forefinger of his left hand.
(c) He uses the thumb of his right hand.
(d) He uses a bandage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Ursula have?
2. In Chapter 2, what color blanket is described in the back seat of the narrator’s father’s car?
3. What does Lettie give the narrator to eat in Chapter 2?
4. How old was the narrator when he lived in the old house that had been knocked down?
5. What is Lettie’s ocean implied to actually be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator let go of Lettie’s hand in Chapter 4?
2. How does the narrator describe the lane that he drives in the Prologue?
3. How does the narrator describe the clearing that he and Lettie enter in their search for the creature in Chapter 4?
4. Where does the narrator like to read on nice spring days?
5. What does the narrator’s sister do every night before bed?
6. Why does the narrator say that his father has never hit him?
7. What does Mr. Wollery find in the garden in Chapter 3?
8. Describe the narrator's dream in Chapter 3. What does the narrator discover when he wakes?
9. Where does the narrator go while the police deal with the narrator’s father’s car and its contents in Chapter 2?
10. What new job has the narrator's mother taken in Chapter 6?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)