|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does the narrator touch just as Ursula is about to descend upon him?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A kitten.
(d) Barbed wire.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 13, what does Lettie say that makes the narrator forget his hunger and fear?
(a) That they could leave now.
(b) That he did a good job staying in the fairy ring.
(c) That she had come to take the hole out of his heart.
(d) That the cleaners were gone forever.
3. What is the silly pet name that the narrator’s father had for him when he was a baby?
(a) Darlin’ boy.
(b) Handsome George.
(d) Georgie Porgie.
4. What flavor is the tooth powder that the narrator uses in Chapter 10?
(b) Peppery and salty.
(c) Minty and lemony.
5. What did the flea that came through in Cromwell’s day do to people?
(a) It made them frightened.
(b) It made them murderous.
(c) It made them embarrassed.
(d) It made them lonely.
6. How does the narrator get hurt when Ursula crumples to the ground?
(a) He bumps his head.
(b) He skins his knees and the palms of his hands.
(c) He bumps his nose.
(d) He twists his ankle.
7. From where does Lettie seem to come in Chapter 12 as the narrator waits in the fairy ring?
(a) Under the beech tree.
(b) The laboratory.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Among the rhododendrons.
8. After the birds are gone in Chapter 14, what does the narrator notice Old Mrs. Hempstock wearing?
(a) A gray nightie.
(b) A plaid dressing gown over a white nightie.
(c) A white nightie.
(d) A gray dressing gown over a nightie.
9. What do the Hempstocks give to the narrator’s parents after they bring his toothbrush to him?
10. Whose clothing does the narrator borrow in Chapter 8?
(a) Uncle Peter’s.
(b) Cousin Japeth’s.
(c) Cousin Matthew’s.
(d) Uncle Bernard’s.
11. What color cat comes into the Hempstock kitchen in Chapter 13?
(c) Black and white.
12. What color is the roof of the narrator’s house?
13. How fragile does the narrator realize that the reality of his world is in Chapter 13?
(a) As fragile as icing on a birthday cake.
(b) As fragile as drops of rain on a sidewalk.
(c) As fragile as makeup on a woman’s face.
(d) As fragile as leaves on a tree.
14. In Chapter 13, what does the narrator eat for supper?
(a) Shepherd’s pie.
(b) Roast beef.
(c) Soup and sandwiches.
(d) Chicken and dumplings.
15. What is tangy in the dessert that the narrator eats in Chapter 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what type of jam does the narrator eat with his toast?
2. What color does Old Mrs. Hempstock emanate when she scolds the hunger birds in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Lettie tell the narrator to stay at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What color is the narrator’s toothbrush?
5. How is the weather described in Chapter 8?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)