|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the cleaners promised Ursula in Chapter 12?
(a) She can torture the narrator.
(b) She can kill the narrator.
(c) She can have the narrator as company.
(d) She can use the narrator to go home.
2. What type of vehicle drives past as the narrator runs toward the Hempstock Farm in Chapter 8?
(a) A black mini.
(b) A yellow lorry.
(c) A white van.
(d) A red Rover.
3. Why do the cleaners refuse to leave?
(a) There is still a bit of Ursula in the narrator.
(b) They are still hungry.
(c) They like earth.
(d) Lettie doesn’t have enough power to make them go back.
4. What color are the things with wings that come for Ursula?
5. After the birds are gone in Chapter 14, what does the narrator notice Old Mrs. Hempstock wearing?
(a) A gray dressing gown over a nightie.
(b) A white nightie.
(c) A gray nightie.
(d) A plaid dressing gown over a white nightie.
6. In Chapter 10, what wakes the narrator in the night?
(a) Lettie's voice.
(b) The honking of a horn.
(c) Noise outside.
(d) Strange dreams.
7. What color is the ground in Chapter 14, right before the hunger birds come?
8. Whose clothing does the narrator borrow in Chapter 8?
(a) Uncle Bernard’s.
(b) Cousin Japeth’s.
(c) Cousin Matthew’s.
(d) Uncle Peter’s.
9. In Chapter 10, what does the narrator eat for breakfast?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(c) Scones and jam.
10. How many of the creatures that devour Ursula land on the grass?
(b) They can’t be counted.
11. As night falls, what can the narrator see flying above him in Chapter 12?
12. What does Lettie look like in the ocean?
(a) Like pure light.
(b) Like pink fabric.
(c) Like ice and fire.
(d) Like silken sheets the color of ice.
13. What constellation do the hunger birds devour from the sky in Chapter 14?
14. What type of animal do the hunger birds grab in Chapter 14?
(a) A weasel.
(b) A fox.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A rabbit.
15. What does Lettie bring to the narrator in Chapter 13?
(a) The ocean.
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what do the hunger birds say they have devoured?
2. How does the narrator get hurt when Ursula crumples to the ground?
3. What is tangy in the dessert that the narrator eats in Chapter 13?
4. How many times does the narrator say he had seen grownups cry in Chapter 11?
5. Who is the second person that the narrator sees when he sits inside the circle?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)