|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When must Aubrey reach his destination?
2. About what does Maturin brood?
3. To where are Triton and the American prizes being escorted?
4. How do Maturin and Martin find two young girls?
5. For whom does Aubrey host a dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Nutmeg of Consolation, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Nutmeg of Consolation and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Nutmeg of Consolation.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Nutmeg of Consolation. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Nutmeg of Consolation. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
During this era when the book takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel, etc...the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
4. Which vessel(s) are mentioned in The Nutmeg of Consolation that fall under this maritime law and what are the circumstances of their capture? Does it seem fair?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)