|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Maturin deliver the treaty?
2. Why has a Dutch-built ship sunk?
3. To where does the junk take the British sailors?
4. Where are the nests?
5. Who organizes the shipwrecked men's camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interests Kesegaran in the sailors' camp and why are the sailors interested in her?
2. What good news does Maturin receive from Sir Joseph Blaine?
3. What else is Maturin doing while in port besides his nature study?
4. Who does Aubrey convey to Pulo Prabang and why?
5. What has been Aubrey's chief concern and why?
6. What happens shortly after the dinner?
7. What does Maturin give Paulton for his help?
8. How does Maturin find himself in a duel and what is the crew's response?
9. How do Maturin and Martin renew their acquaintance and what is Aubrey's response?
10. What do Maturin and Martin do and what do they find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this era in which The Nutmeg of Consolation is set, there are strongly-adhered-to class distinctions. Aubrey and Maturin are both gentlemen. Discuss one of the following:
1. How do the divisions of class tend to make divisions among men? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a class-based society? What evidence is there of those advantages and disadvantages in The Nutmeg of Consolation?
2. In the English military of that era, nobles and gentlemen generally were the officers and very few of the working or peasant class could cross the line into officer territory. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Do you think there is a class system in the United States? Does it carry over to the military? Why or why not? (Some research may be required.)
Essay Topic 2
The Nutmeg of Consolation, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Nutmeg of Consolation and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Maturin acts as a covert agency for the Crown and uses his intelligence connections to slow down CornÃ©lie's resupplying in order to give The Nutmeg of Consolation a chance to catch up and capture the French vessel.
1. What sort of covert operations does Maturin undertake? How similar do you think his covert operations are to that of an organization such as the CIA of today?
2. How much does Maturin's covert operations effect good outcomes for the The Nutmeg of Consolation and other British endeavors during The Nutmeg of Consolation?
3. Do you see any conflict of interests between being a doctor and also a covert operator? Why or why not.
This section contains 2,871 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)