|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of the aftermath of the attack?
2. How does Kesegaran get to the island?
3. To where does Kesegaran agree to carry a message?
4. Who attacks the sailors?
5. Where is the unnamed island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aubrey plan for an attack on Cornélie?
2. What is Aubrey's plan concerning an engagement with the Cornélie?
3. Who are some of the main characters who are marooned?
4. What does Maturin say is wrong and what does he do?
5. What do Maturin and Martin do and what do they find?
6. How does Maturin help the effort to catch the Cornélie?
7. What does Maturin do that gains the men assistance?
8. What does Maturin do with the girls?
9. Who does the Nutmeg of Consolation encounter and what do they learn?
10. What does Cornélie do in response to the Nutmeg of Consolation fleeing the harbour?
Essay Topic 1
Often in O'Brian's series involving Jack Aubrey, his ship and/or life is saved by extraordinary means. Discuss the following:
1. Research and define the literary term "narrative contrivance."
2. Identify and analyze a time in the book when O'Brian makes free use of the technique of narrative contrivance to save Aubrey and his ship in The Nutmeg of Consolation.
3. Does the use of narrative contrivance diminish the impact of the plot? The believability of the storyline?
4. Is there any other way O'Brian could have a mixture of suspense and action while at the same time making certain the main characters are not killed?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin acts as a covert agency for the Crown and uses his intelligence connections to slow down CornÃ©lie's resupplying in order to give The Nutmeg of Consolation a chance to catch up and capture the French vessel.
1. What sort of covert operations does Maturin undertake? How similar do you think his covert operations are to that of an organization such as the CIA of today?
2. How much does Maturin's covert operations effect good outcomes for the The Nutmeg of Consolation and other British endeavors during The Nutmeg of Consolation?
3. Do you see any conflict of interests between being a doctor and also a covert operator? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
At sea, the commander of a vessel is "God," and failure to obey the Captain's orders can subject one to court martial and even execution. Discuss the following:
1. Should sailors be held accountable for anything they do under orders? Discuss fully, using examples both from The Nutmeg of Consolation and your own knowledge.
2. Why do you think mutiny on a ship is punishable by death?
3. Is there ever justification for a crew to mutiny?
4. Is it just for a captain to have that much power over his crew? What sort of abuses can this lead to?
This section contains 2,796 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)