|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is William Grimshaw?
2. What is the name of their ship that wrecked?
3. To whom does the Chinese junk have to pay tribute?
4. To whom does Maturin give bribes?
5. Where is the unnamed island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maturin do with the girls?
2. Compare the armament of the Cornélie with that of the HMS Nutmeg of Consolation.
3. How does the dinner for officers fare that Aubrey hosts?
4. Describe the first attempt of the Nutmeg of Consolation to engage Cornélie.
5. What does Maturin try to do with Sarah and Emily and what is the outcome?
6. Where does Li Po take the men and what important information Maturin gain along the on the trip?
7. How does Maturin find himself in a duel and what is the crew's response?
8. Who does the Nutmeg of Consolation encounter and what do they learn?
9. About what does Aubrey brood and what are his thoughts about the topic?
10. Describe Padeen Colman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of when Maturin spends a great deal of time contemplating his new poverty-stricken status when he is actually as wealthy as always.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from The Nutmeg of Consolation. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in The Nutmeg of Consolation and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not as evident in The Nutmeg of Consolation as others, most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and both Maturin and Aubrey are no exceptions.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Maturin and Aubrey each demonstrates his admirable traits. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze both Maturin and Aubrey's character flaws, and explain how the flaws create more complex and believable characters. How do you think either man's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing each man's strengths and weaknesses, decide if each man is an appropriate "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be a more admirable "hero"?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)