|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to repulse the attackers?
2. Why does Maturin collapse?
3. To whom does Maturin deliver the treaty?
4. Who were left by their previous ship for various offenses?
5. What are his carpenters and seamen begun building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey and his crew marooned?
2. What does Maturin try to do with Sarah and Emily and what is the outcome?
3. Who is John Paulton and what is he like?
4. Compare the armament of the Cornélie with that of the HMS Nutmeg of Consolation.
5. Where does Aubrey take his passenger after Pulo Prabang?
6. What does the landing crew find on Sweeting's Island?
7. What does Cornélie do in response to the Nutmeg of Consolation fleeing the harbour?
8. How does Maturin become ill and what does he see when he awakens from a fever?
9. What has been Aubrey's chief concern and why?
10. In what condition does Aubrey find the Surprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this era in which The Nutmeg of Consolation is set, there are strongly-adhered-to class distinctions. Aubrey and Maturin are both gentlemen. Discuss one of the following:
1. How do the divisions of class tend to make divisions among men? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a class-based society? What evidence is there of those advantages and disadvantages in The Nutmeg of Consolation?
2. In the English military of that era, nobles and gentlemen generally were the officers and very few of the working or peasant class could cross the line into officer territory. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Do you think there is a class system in the United States? Does it carry over to the military? Why or why not? (Some research may be required.)
Essay Topic 2
At sea, the commander of a vessel is "God," and failure to obey the Captain's orders can subject one to court martial and even execution. Discuss the following:
1. Should sailors be held accountable for anything they do under orders? Discuss fully, using examples both from The Nutmeg of Consolation and your own knowledge.
2. Why do you think mutiny on a ship is punishable by death?
3. Is there ever justification for a crew to mutiny?
4. Is it just for a captain to have that much power over his crew? What sort of abuses can this lead to?
Essay Topic 3
The Nutmeg of Consolation, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Nutmeg of Consolation and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)