|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin do to supplement the food supply?
2. After whom is Aubrey's new ship named?
3. About what does Maturin discuss with Aubrey?
4. How does Maturin spend the next few days after collapsing?
5. Approximately how many men are marooned on an unnamed island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Surprise spending so much time in port?
2. How does Aubrey gain a vessel to replace the Diane?
3. Why is the situation not as precarious as it could be for the marooned men?
4. How and why does Aubrey modify the Nutmeg of Consolation?
5. How does Aubrey plan for an attack on Cornélie?
6. Who is William Grimshaw and how does he help provide comic relief on board?
7. How does Maturin help the effort to catch the Cornélie?
8. How does Maturin find himself in a duel and what is the crew's response?
9. How does Maturin become ill and what does he see when he awakens from a fever?
10. What good news does Maturin receive from Sir Joseph Blaine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this era when the book takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel, etc...the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
4. Which vessel(s) are mentioned in The Nutmeg of Consolation that fall under this maritime law and what are the circumstances of their capture? Does it seem fair?
Essay Topic 2
Maturin acts as a covert agency for the Crown and uses his intelligence connections to slow down CornÃ©lie's resupplying in order to give The Nutmeg of Consolation a chance to catch up and capture the French vessel.
1. What sort of covert operations does Maturin undertake? How similar do you think his covert operations are to that of an organization such as the CIA of today?
2. How much does Maturin's covert operations effect good outcomes for the The Nutmeg of Consolation and other British endeavors during The Nutmeg of Consolation?
3. Do you see any conflict of interests between being a doctor and also a covert operator? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
During this era in which The Nutmeg of Consolation is set, there are strongly-adhered-to class distinctions. Aubrey and Maturin are both gentlemen. Discuss one of the following:
1. How do the divisions of class tend to make divisions among men? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a class-based society? What evidence is there of those advantages and disadvantages in The Nutmeg of Consolation?
2. In the English military of that era, nobles and gentlemen generally were the officers and very few of the working or peasant class could cross the line into officer territory. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Do you think there is a class system in the United States? Does it carry over to the military? Why or why not? (Some research may be required.)
This section contains 2,932 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)