Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many men are marooned on an unnamed island?
2. What does much of Chapter 3 offer?
3. What is Aubrey planning as he leaves port?
4. What does Aubrey do with the cannons?
5. What are his carpenters and seamen begun building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the landing crew find on Sweeting's Island?
2. How does Maturin find himself in a duel and what is the crew's response?
3. Describe the first attempt of the Nutmeg of Consolation to engage Cornélie.
4. What happens to Maturin's fortune?
5. Who is John Paulton and what is he like?
6. What does Maturin give Paulton for his help?
7. What has Welby overdone in Aubrey's estimation, but why does Aubrey still admire the man?
8. Where does Li Po take the men and what important information Maturin gain along the on the trip?
9. What does Maturin do with the girls?
10. What does Maturin do that gains the men assistance?
The Nutmeg of Consolation is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Though it is not as evident in The Nutmeg of Consolation as others, most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in The Nutmeg of Consolation. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of war in The Nutmeg of Consolation. Why is Britain engaged in a war? What are some symbols of war that occur in the book? Is the war justified? Does Aubrey and (his crew perform with honor as warriors? Do you think their behavior to the enemy (first the Dyaks and then the French sailors) would be in accordance with the Geneva Conventions (you may need to research this)?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Aubrey's time seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)