|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the modification?
(a) So Cornélie will try to treat with the "pirates."
(b) So the ship will be able to sustain heavy cannon fire.
(c) To allow the Nutmeg of Consolation to get close to Cornélie.
(d) To add some heavy cannon.
2. What temporarily prevents the Nutmeg of Consolation from steering?
(a) A lodged cannonball between the rudder post and stern.
(b) The rudder post breaks off.
(c) The pinion arm breaks.
(d) The sea anchor accidentally deploys.
3. What does the crew want to name their new passengers?
(a) Faith and Charity.
(b) Thursday and Behemoth.
(c) Charity and Hope.
(d) Faith and Hope.
4. About what does Maturin brood?
(a) About his son's recent bout with malaria.
(b) Being poor.
(c) That he cannot search the nearby islands for new specimens.
(d) About his wife is in ill health.
5. What does the Cornélie's captain realize?
(a) That the Nutmeg is disguised.
(b) That his crew is not returning to the ship.
(c) That the Nutmeg is not armed as well as the Cornélie.
(d) That his sails are not in ready position.
6. What is the Triton?
(a) A French frigate.
(b) A Dutch merchant vessel.
(c) An American privateer.
(d) An English privateer.
7. What Passage does his ship run down?
(a) Great Horned.
(c) The Straits of Pukuoni.
8. Who exchanges gunfire with Cornélie?
9. Of what does Aubrey grow jealous?
(a) A man his wife mentions in a letter.
(c) Martin and Maturin spending so much time together.
(d) A native woman on Basatange paying so much attention to Maturin.
10. Whose history and customs does the crew discuss?
(a) That of Freemantle.
(c) That of Sydney.
(d) That of New South Wales.
11. What Dutch ship does the Nutmeg of Consolation encounter?
12. What does Aubrey think of the Surprise?
(a) It is malodorous.
(b) It has been kept immaculate.
(c) It seems small now.
(d) It needs more carronades.
13. When must Aubrey reach his destination?
(a) Before Cornélie enters the passage.
(b) By midnight.
(c) Within the first couple hours of darkness.
(d) Before daybreak.
14. What does Aubrey contemplate as they near the place they expect to encounter the French?
(a) If the cannons were the best choice.
(b) Whether he is within international waters.
(c) If the carronades were the best choice.
(d) The impending combat.
15. What is the result of Maturin's encounter with the man he offends?
(b) They duel and Maturin kills the man.
(c) They duel and Maturin wounds him.
(d) They exchange insults but do not draw swords.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cornélie continue to do?
2. Where does Surprise head from Sweeting Island?
3. What happens to Maturin when the coca leaves are all gone?
4. Why does Surprise head for Sweeting's Island?
5. Who is Lieutenant Jean-Pierrre Dumesnil?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)