|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maturin offend?
(a) Governor Greeves.
(b) Captain Lowe.
(c) No one.
(d) Captain Connor.
2. Where does Surprise head from Sweeting Island?
(b) The Mediterranean.
(d) New South Wales.
3. Why are Maturin and Martin combing the island despite the illness?
(a) They are immune as they've had it before.
(b) It is essential to get the crew some fruit.
(c) They believe the pathogen has died out.
(d) They stay far enough away from the town.
4. What does Aubrey do immediately upon resuming his old command?
(a) Writes the Admiralty.
(b) Promotes Oakes.
(c) Writes his wife.
(d) Has a tour and inspection.
5. When must Aubrey reach his destination?
(a) Within the first couple hours of darkness.
(b) Before daybreak.
(c) By midnight.
(d) Before Cornélie enters the passage.
6. Whose history and customs does the crew discuss?
(b) That of Freemantle.
(c) That of New South Wales.
(d) That of Sydney.
7. What does the crew think is rather odd?
(a) That the rats are so calm.
(b) That the birds stay with the ship.
(c) That the two cats follow the girls everywhere.
(d) That the albatross allows Maturin to splint its wing.
8. Why does Aubrey turn tail and run?
(a) He sees a French man-o-war in port also.
(b) He learns that the Cornélie has more guns than he was told.
(c) His bluff has failed.
(d) He learns the gunpowder on his ship is wet.
9. For whom does Aubrey host a dinner?
(a) The Sultan of Imar.
(b) Admiral Leighton and his staff.
(c) The Governor of Madagascar.
(d) The captains of the flotilla and captured French officers.
10. How do the girls adapt to ship life?
(a) Surprisingly well.
(b) They cry for their parents all the time.
(c) They want to go home.
(d) They are constantly seasick.
11. Who is Lieutenant Jean-Pierrre Dumesnil?
(a) The commander of the Triton.
(b) An acquaintance of Aubrey's.
(c) A double agent and friend of Maturin.
(d) The commander of the French man-o-war.
12. What does Maturin discover in the hold of the ship?
(a) A hole that is slowly filling the hold with water.
(b) Oakes drinking whiskey.
(c) A stowaway.
(d) Rats have gnawed into the chest with the coca leaves.
13. What will Aubrey do in the Passage?
(a) Set out net mines.
(b) Turn into a hidden area.
(c) Disguise his vessel once again.
(d) Find Admiral Leighton's fleet.
14. What is near where Surprise docks?
(a) A leper colony.
(b) A British consulate.
(c) Not much of anything.
(d) A penal colony.
15. What happens to Cornélie as the ships exchange gun fire?
(a) It drops back.
(b) It increases speed.
(c) It sustains hull damage.
(d) It brings out a new, longrange gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey signal Pullings to do?
2. What do the girls adopt as pets?
3. What happens a few hours after the dinner ends?
4. What is strange about the bay at Sweeting's Island?
5. What does Aubrey contemplate as they near the place they expect to encounter the French?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)