Short Answer Key
Chapters 1 and 2
1. Approximately how many men are marooned on an unnamed island?
2. Where is the unnamed island?
The South China Sea.
3. What is the name of their ship that wrecked?
4. Upon what did the ship wreck?
A submerged reef.
5. Why are the sailors able to salvage much of the ship's contents?
It took a long time to sink.
6. Who organizes the shipwrecked men's camp?
7. What does the Captain of Marines have his men construct?
Defensive breastworks around the camp.
8. What does Aubrey admire about the Captain of the Marines?
His efficiency and devotion to duty.
9. What are his carpenters and seamen begun building?
10. How far do they figure they will have to sail to find assistance?
About 200 miles.
11. What does Maturin do to supplement the food supply?
This section contains 1,969 words|
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)