* One hundred and fifty-seven British seamen are marooned on an unnamed island in the South China Sea.
* They are the survivors of the wreck of HMS Diane.
* Many tools and supplies are salvaged and the men are building a schooner to escape the island.
* The castaway's camp is well-organized by Welby, who throws up defensive breastwork and tactical improvements.
* The men hunt, fish and play cricket in addition to working on the schooner.
* Maturin finds a cave full of swifts' nests for soup but contracts a tropical fever which lays him out for a few days.
* Maturin wakes to discover a Dyak woman named Kesegaran in the camp inspecting various things.
* Kesegaran gains favor with the common seamen by her tendency to expose much of her body.
* Maturin asks Kesegaran to carry a message to Batavia and she agrees, though Maturin is suspicious.
* Maturin discusses with...
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)