|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What downtown New Bern building does Allie note looks more run-down than it did when she was younger?
2. What do most of the paintings Allie looks at at the New Bern gallery feature?
3. Where does Allie see Lon's car parked at the inn?
4. What is found to have been blown over in the storm in "An Unexpected Visitor"?
5. How does Allie describe Noah's skill with handling the canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Noah give Allie the last time they saw each other before their fourteen-year separation?
2. What does Allie realize about the painting she admires at the art gallery?
3. What kind of husband does Allie anticipate Lon will be?
4. How does Noah feel when he sees Allie arrive at his house in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
5. Who does Allie see on the drive back to the inn that reminds her of Noah?
6. After saying good-bye to Noah for the last time, what was Allie's drive back to the inn like?
7. What are Allie's reasons for deciding not to leave Lon?
8. What did Noah miss most when he lived up north?
9. What does Allie note about New Bern as she walked around shopping downtown in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
10. Why does Allie's mother show up at Noah's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Noah and Allie face a fourteen year separation. Discuss the reason for this separation, the effects of this separation, and how they feel about each other after being separated for so long.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is mostly set in New Bern, North Carolina during the 1930s, 1940s, and the present day. Describe Sparks's portrayal of these time periods and how the events of these times affect the protagonists. Also, the house which Noah buys and fixes up is a prominent setting. Why does Noah decide to buy the house and set it up? What does the historic house symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
After reading The Notebook what is your opinion of the story? The characters? The writing style? The genre? What is your opinion of the conclusion of the novel? Are you satisfied with the ending?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)