|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Allie and Noah doing when they hear the knock at the door in "An Unexpected Visitor"?
2. What is the date on the letter from Noah that Allie reads in "A Letter from Yesterday"?
3. What does Allie's mother tell Allie she should think about in "An Unexpected Visitor"?
4. What does Allie know about her future with Lon?
5. How many times does Allie read the letter from Noah before getting out of her car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of husband does Allie anticipate Lon will be?
2. What does Allie wonder about Lon's passion for his work?
3. Why didn't Allie send Noah the letters she had written over the years?
4. What does Noah tell Allie he remembers most from their summer together?
5. How does Noah feel when he sees Allie arrive at his house in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
6. Why does Allie's mother show up at Noah's house?
7. What does Allie realize about the painting she admires at the art gallery?
8. After saying good-bye to Noah for the last time, what was Allie's drive back to the inn like?
9. What is apparent from Allie's appearance when she reaches the inn?
10. What does Noah tell Allie in hopes of convincing her to stay with him, instead of going back to Lon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Notebook fit in with Sparks's other works? Is Sparks a respected novelist in his genre? What other novels has he written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style of The Notebook. Discuss Sparks's use of imagery, metaphors, and symbolism, as well as the tone and mood of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
After reading The Notebook what is your opinion of the story? The characters? The writing style? The genre? What is your opinion of the conclusion of the novel? Are you satisfied with the ending?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)