|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What downtown New Bern building does Allie note looks more run-down than it did when she was younger?
2. What serenades Allie and Noah as they eat lunch together in "An Unexpected Visitor"?
3. Who told Allie they weren't surprised that Noah never sent her any letters?
4. What does Allie think she hears her mother whisper as she leaves Noah's house?
5. What covers the surface of the lake Noah takes Allie to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allie wonder about Lon's passion for his work?
2. In "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams", what does Allie say her Wednesdays are usually like?
3. What did Noah give Allie the last time they saw each other before their fourteen-year separation?
4. Which of Noah's letters does Allie choose to read when she is sitting in her car at the inn?
5. What does Noah think as he watches Allie's mother leave his house?
6. What is apparent from Allie's appearance when she reaches the inn?
7. How does Noah feel when he sees Allie arrive at his house in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
8. What does Allie realize about the painting she admires at the art gallery?
9. What does Noah like to do with his mornings in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
10. What does Allie note about New Bern as she walked around shopping downtown in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the novel. Noah is faced with death a number of times. How do these deaths affect him and his life? What purpose does death play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sparks's use of foreshadowing in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does The Notebook fit in with Sparks's other works? Is Sparks a respected novelist in his genre? What other novels has he written?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)