|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allie wear to her noon meeting with Noah in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
2. What is the date on the letter from Noah that Allie reads in "A Letter from Yesterday"?
3. What do most of the paintings Allie looks at at the New Bern gallery feature?
4. In "Courtrooms," why does Lon ask for the trial to be postponed?
5. What do Allie and Noah drink after coming in from the rain in "Swans and Storms"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allie realize about the painting she admires at the art gallery?
2. At what point does Allie decide whether she will stay with Lon or Noah?
3. What kind of husband does Allie anticipate Lon will be?
4. What does Allie wonder about Lon's passion for his work?
5. Which of Noah's letters does Allie choose to read when she is sitting in her car at the inn?
6. Why does Allie's mother show up at Noah's house?
7. What does Allie note about New Bern as she walked around shopping downtown in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
8. What did Noah say in his good-bye letter to Allie?
9. What does Noah like to do with his mornings in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
10. How did Allie's mother know she would be with Noah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of miracles in relation to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Allie is faced with an important choice when she must choose between Lon and Noah. Discuss this choice, along with the other choices that the protagonists have to make, and how these choices affect them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of The Notebook. Discuss Sparks's use of imagery, metaphors, and symbolism, as well as the tone and mood of the novel.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)