|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Noah want to cancel the surprise trip he has planned for Allie?
2. In "A Letter from Yesterday," how long has it been since Allie first saw the newspaper article about Noah?
3. How did Allie's mother always feel about Noah?
4. What does Noah hear immediately after he says "It's your mother"?
5. When Noah stops to stare at Allie in "An Unexpected Visitor," what is the only thing she can think to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Noah give Allie the last time they saw each other before their fourteen-year separation?
2. What kind of husband does Allie anticipate Lon will be?
3. What does Noah tell Allie in hopes of convincing her to stay with him, instead of going back to Lon?
4. What does Allie wonder about Lon's passion for his work?
5. After saying good-bye to Noah for the last time, what was Allie's drive back to the inn like?
6. What does Noah think as he watches Allie's mother leave his house?
7. How does Noah feel when he sees Allie arrive at his house in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
8. Who does Allie see on the drive back to the inn that reminds her of Noah?
9. What advice does Anne offer her daughter about deciding what she should do about Lon and Noah?
10. What are Allie's reasons for deciding not to leave Lon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Notebook was very well-received and became a best seller. The film version of the novel also did very well. In your opinion, what makes this story so popular?
Essay Topic 2
The love between Noah and Allie is the central focus of the novel. How do they meet and fall in love? What obstacles keep them from each other? Are they able to overcome said obstacles? Why or why not? Is their ending a happy one?
Essay Topic 3
Noah and Allie face a fourteen year separation. Discuss the reason for this separation, the effects of this separation, and how they feel about each other after being separated for so long.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)