|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Courtrooms," why does Lon ask for the trial to be postponed?
2. When is Lon's trial scheduled to resume?
3. Who said "A dull ax is more dangerous than a sharp one"?
4. How does Allie describe Noah's skill with handling the canoe?
5. What does Noah tell Allie she can't live her life for in "An Unexpected Visitor"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noah think as he watches Allie's mother leave his house?
2. What does Noah tell Allie in hopes of convincing her to stay with him, instead of going back to Lon?
3. What are Allie's reasons for deciding not to leave Lon?
4. Who does Allie see on the drive back to the inn that reminds her of Noah?
5. What does Allie realize about the painting she admires at the art gallery?
6. Which of Noah's letters does Allie choose to read when she is sitting in her car at the inn?
7. What advice does Anne offer her daughter about deciding what she should do about Lon and Noah?
8. What kind of husband does Allie anticipate Lon will be?
9. What does Noah tell Allie he remembers most from their summer together?
10. In "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams", what does Allie say her Wednesdays are usually like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the novel is when Allie must choose between Lon and Noah. Discuss this section of the novel and what emotions it instills in the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Noah Calhoun is the male protagonist of the story and the husband of Allie Calhoun. Discuss the character of Noah Calhoun, including his defining personality traits and the obstacles he faces throughout the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style of The Notebook. Discuss Sparks's use of imagery, metaphors, and symbolism, as well as the tone and mood of the novel.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)