|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Allie think it would be a bad idea to leave Lon for Noah?
2. What is found to have been blown over in the storm in "An Unexpected Visitor"?
3. Why does Noah want to cancel the surprise trip he has planned for Allie?
4. How did Allie's mother always feel about Noah?
5. What does Allie especially remember about her reunion with Noah at his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noah like to do with his mornings in "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams"?
2. What kind of husband does Allie anticipate Lon will be?
3. What does Noah tell Allie he remembers most from their summer together?
4. At what point does Allie decide whether she will stay with Lon or Noah?
5. What did Noah give Allie the last time they saw each other before their fourteen-year separation?
6. What does Allie realize about the painting she admires at the art gallery?
7. In "Kayaks and Forgotten Dreams", what does Allie say her Wednesdays are usually like?
8. How did Allie's mother know she would be with Noah?
9. What does Allie wonder about Lon's passion for his work?
10. Who does Allie see on the drive back to the inn that reminds her of Noah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Notebook fit in with Sparks's other works? Is Sparks a respected novelist in his genre? What other novels has he written?
Essay Topic 2
The climax of the novel is when Allie must choose between Lon and Noah. Discuss this section of the novel and what emotions it instills in the reader.
Essay Topic 3
What is an antagonist and, who or what is the antagonist of the novel The Notebook? How does the antagonist affect the relationship of Noah and Allie? Is the antagonist successful in keeping them apart? Why or why not?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)