|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morris Goldman promise to do should he sell his business?
2. What kind of man does Noah say he is?
3. What does Noah believe in?
4. What does Allie do when she sees Noah for the first time in fourteen years?
5. What does Morris Goldman say is Noah's only negative point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Noah come to adopt Clem?
2. Why didn't Allie take up painting professionally?
3. How does Lon find success as a lawyer?
4. In what way is New Bern "haunted" for Noah?
5. What do we learn about Lon's family in "Reunion"?
6. How does Noah help Martha Shaw?
7. Why did Noah decide to leave New Bern in the '30s, and where did he eventually settle?
8. What does Noah say of the people who live at the nursing home?
9. What does Allie look for on Noah's dock in "Reunion"?
10. How did Allie deal with the pain of missing Noah after they separated in the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading The Notebook what is your opinion of the story? The characters? The writing style? The genre? What is your opinion of the conclusion of the novel? Are you satisfied with the ending?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict is used to convey suspense and emotion. Discuss conflict in the novel The Notebook.
Essay Topic 3
The novel is mostly set in New Bern, North Carolina during the 1930s, 1940s, and the present day. Describe Sparks's portrayal of these time periods and how the events of these times affect the protagonists. Also, the house which Noah buys and fixes up is a prominent setting. Why does Noah decide to buy the house and set it up? What does the historic house symbolize?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)