|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Allie's friends think of Lon?
2. What does Noah see in the colors and lines of Allie's painting in "Reunion"?
3. What does Noah believe in?
4. In what way does Allie think Lon is like her father?
5. In "Reunion," what does Noah take for Allie when they go to sit on the porch after eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Noah's one and only attempt to find Allie.
2. What changes does Allie see in Noah when they reunite after fourteen years?
3. What property did Noah acquire in order to protect it?
4. In what ways does Allie acknowledge her relationship with Lon is less than perfect?
5. How does Noah help Martha Shaw?
6. Why did Noah decide to leave New Bern in the '30s, and where did he eventually settle?
7. Why didn't Allie take up painting professionally?
8. What did Noah think of Allie when he first met her?
9. What do we learn about Lon's family in "Reunion"?
10. How did Noah come to adopt Clem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The motif of the passing of time is explored in the novel. Discuss how Sparks plays with the concept of time and how time affects the protagonists and their relationship together.
Essay Topic 2
The Notebook was very well-received and became a best seller. The film version of the novel also did very well. In your opinion, what makes this story so popular?
Essay Topic 3
Allie Calhoun (nee Nelson) is the female protagonist of the story and the wife of Noah Calhoun. Discuss the character of Allie Calhoun, including her defining personality traits and the obstacles she faces throughout the narrative.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)