|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Noah read on his porch in the 1940s?
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) The Odyssey.
(d) Leaves of Grass.
2. Who is Lon?
(a) Allie's schoolmate.
(b) Allie's fiance.
(c) Allie's first love.
(d) Allie's best friend.
3. What happened to the letters Noah sent Allie?
(a) Allie's father burned them.
(b) Noah sent them to the wrong address.
(c) Allie threw them away.
(d) Allie's mother took them.
4. What does Allie think poetry is written for?
(a) To immortalize the love of the poet.
(b) To convey beauty with words.
(c) To soothe the reader's pain.
(d) To inspire without reason.
5. How old is Noah at the present time in the novel?
(a) Seventy-five years old.
(b) Eighty-five years old.
(c) Eighty years old.
(d) Seventy years old.
6. Where does Noah live in 1946?
(b) New Bern.
7. How did Allie avoid the pain of leaving Noah after their summer together?
(a) She studies very diligently.
(b) By drinking.
(c) By painting.
(d) She dates other men.
8. How is Clem disabled?
(a) She is deaf.
(b) She is missing a leg.
(c) She is missing most of her teeth.
(d) She is blind.
9. Where does Noah live at the present time of the novel?
(a) In a trailer.
(b) In the same house he has lived for sixty years.
(c) In a nursing home.
(d) With his son's family.
10. Who is Gus?
(a) Noah's best friend.
(b) Noah's father.
(c) Noah's uncle.
(d) Noah's brother.
11. What does Noah's father say would keep him sane during his military tour?
(a) Clean socks.
(b) The thought of his first love.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) The sound of nature.
12. How does Noah chose to refer to his shyness?
(a) An unavoidable social handicap.
(b) As quiet confidence.
(c) As silent brilliance.
(d) He is a man who chooses his words wisely.
13. How did Noah's mother die?
(a) During childbirth.
14. What does Morris Goldman say is Noah's only negative point?
(a) He isn't ambitious.
(b) He's not Jewish.
(c) He's not serious enough.
(d) He is too tall.
15. What did Allie's mother tell Lon about her relationship with Noah?
(a) That it was Allie's first love.
(b) That it was powerful.
(c) That it was puppy love.
(d) That it was a blip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shops does Allie tell Lon she will visit in New Bern?
2. What has intimidated many of the boys Allie has dated?
3. What lesson did Allie learn from her mother about status?
4. Where does Noah find a job in New Jersey?
5. What is Lon's occupation?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)