|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______ tries to drink from a large horn but is unable to drain it.
2. Thor is given ______ to fight Geirrod, according to the book's content.
3. Thor's boy servant, _______, finds a large hall with one whole wall missing.
4. The dwarf ______ comes to Asgard seeking Thor's daughter as his wife.
5. Thor is told how to get home but hurls a _______ on his way.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grid give to Thor in order to fight with Geirrod?
2. What do the men realize they are sleeping in when they awake in the morning?
3. Who does Balder's mother ask to not harm her son in any way, so as to prevent his death?
4. Who do the gods believe Thokk really is as he is the only one who refuses to weep for Balder when asked to do so?
5. Why does Freyja want the giantess to give her boar some of the memory ale?
6. What does Hrungnir propose when Thor comes to battle him for drinking out of his horns?
7. Why does Geirrod believe that the falcon is actually someone in disguise when he sees the falcon in his land?
8. What does Odin trick Hrungnir into doing when they are engaging in a contest to see whose horse is faster?
9. What does Geirrod throw at Thor in order to hurt him during their battle with each other?
10. Why didn't Frigg get a promise from the mistletoe to not harm Balder in any way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the gods seem to want to prove they are better and more clever than others.
Part 1: Why is it important for the gods to try to prove they are more clever?
Part 2: How do you think the gods can prove they are the most clever of all?
Part 3: Do you believe that any one person can be the most clever in the world?
Essay Topic 2
The opening of the book begins as it normally should - with the idea of how the world was created.
Part 1: Why do you think the stories of creation are so important in various cultures?
Part 2: How do you think the world was created according to your own personal beliefs?
Part 3: How do you think the world might have changed for the Norse had their world begun differently?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the gods seem to be over exaggerated in their abilities and in their strengths.
Part 1: Why do you think Thor is presented as being such a strong God?
Part 2: Do you think that the gods can be perfect in every way? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the appearance of being perfect affects the way others treat the gods?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)