|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freyr lays spells on _____ when she refuses to come with him.
2. Heimdall brings the gift of _______ to Jarl within the book.
3. Loki turns Idun into a _______ and carries her back to Asgard.
4. Loki borrow's Freyja's _______ to fly out in search of Mjollnir.
5. Odin asks the giant what he whispered to _______ before he was burned.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heimdall do for the time that he is staying with Ai and Edda, though he is disguised as Rig?
2. What do the sons of Ivaldi do for Loki as he promises them to fully repay them when the time comes?
3. What does Njord do when he sees that his son is not in good spirits, acting quite sullen in manner?
4. From what is Midgard created and why is it created in the first place, according to the book?
5. What does Freyr give to Skimir for his troubles in coming to see if he was okay?
6. How are man and woman formed at the beginning of the creation story of the Norse myths?
7. What does Brokk demand as a repayment for the gifts? What does he settle on instead?
8. How does Idun return to the gods with the help of Loki and his trickster ways?
9. What does the crow tell Kon and Dan to do at the end of the story in which these two men are featured?
10. What happens after Jormungand is thrown into the ocean by Odin in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the gods seem to want to prove they are better and more clever than others.
Part 1: Why is it important for the gods to try to prove they are more clever?
Part 2: How do you think the gods can prove they are the most clever of all?
Part 3: Do you believe that any one person can be the most clever in the world?
Essay Topic 2
At times, it seems the gods are more vulnerable than humans might be. This is strange to realize for the reader.
Part 1: Why do you think the gods are portrayed as being vulnerable in the world?
Part 2: Do you have more or less respect for the gods who seem to be a little weak in terms of their ability to protect themselves?
Part 3: How would the stories change if the gods were perfect in every way and were able to protect themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Disguises are another common theme in the myths of the Norse gods and goddesses.
Part 1: What are the purposes of the disguises the gods and goddesses use?
Part 2: Why do you think the gods felt it necessary to use disguises in order to get what they wanted?
Part 3: Do you think it would be easy to recognize a god if they were walking around on earth?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)