|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______is the home of the giants, according to the myths told in the book.
2. When it is stolen, Mjollnir is hidden ______ by the giant.
3. Brokk and Eitri create all of the following gifts except _______.
4. The three children of Loki and Angrboda will remain bound until ________ or the end of the world.
5. The god _______ disguises himself as the giant Bolverk in order to acquire the secret drink.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freyr give to Skimir for his troubles in coming to see if he was okay?
2. Why does Loki decide to tell Odin about the agreement that Freyja has made with the dwarves for the necklace?
3. What happens after Jormungand is thrown into the ocean by Odin in the story?
4. What does the crow tell Kon and Dan to do at the end of the story in which these two men are featured?
5. Who are the three children which Loki fathered with the giantess Angrbroda, according to the story?
6. What do the brothers Brokk and Eitri make as they are jealous of the gifts that Loki carries?
7. What do the dwarves want from Freyja in exchange for the golden necklace she desires to have?
8. How might Jarl be described as a person as he grows up after being born of Mother?
9. What does Loki do when Thor realizes that his hammer is missing from his side?
10. When Freyja asks for her necklace back, what does Odin say that she must do in order to regain her possession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the gods seem to want to prove they are better and more clever than others.
Part 1: Why is it important for the gods to try to prove they are more clever?
Part 2: How do you think the gods can prove they are the most clever of all?
Part 3: Do you believe that any one person can be the most clever in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Disguises are another common theme in the myths of the Norse gods and goddesses.
Part 1: What are the purposes of the disguises the gods and goddesses use?
Part 2: Why do you think the gods felt it necessary to use disguises in order to get what they wanted?
Part 3: Do you think it would be easy to recognize a god if they were walking around on earth?
Essay Topic 3
The giants seem to be the eternal enemies in the story, always being feared and than attacked by the gods.
Part 1: What makes the giants creatures which need to be feared by others?
Part 2: Do you think the gods and the giants should try harder to get along with each other?
Part 3: Do you think the giants will ever win control over the gods and goddesses?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)