|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does the portrait have for Mma Ramotswe?
2. What accidental discovery does Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni tell Mma Ramotswe about?
3. After verifying that the boy is the one who is missing, what does Mma Ramotswe do?
4. What does he ask her to investigate for him?
5. Who's portrait hangs in Mma Ramotswe's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What else does Mma Ramotswe learn from Mma Notshi on the way to where the boy is tending the cattle?
2. How does Mma Ramotswe manage to proceed without giving away the real reason for her interest in the case?
3. After confirming that he is indeed the missing son of the teacher, what does Mma Ramotswe do?
4. Before Mma Ramotswe can do anything more with the Gotso case, who comes to her for help, and what is the issue he needs her help with?
5. What case is Mma Ramotswe asked to look into after resolving the Patel issues?
6. When Mma Ramotswe's van breaks down on the way back, what does she do and what is the outcome?
7. What issue is distracting Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni from paying complete attention to Mma Ramotswe during their conversation after the Busang case?
8. What issues do Mma Ramotswe and Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni share and have in common in their lives?
9. How does Matekoni feel about his role in the subterfuge that plays out regarding Charlie Gotso's van and the glove box contents?
10. Why is this worry compounded by the identity of the person who owns the van that the medicine bag was found in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many different disguises or identities does Mma Ramotswe assume in this book? What are they and which case is each for? What is Mma Ramotswe's position regarding these white lies? Who balks at having to tell a 'white lie' on her behalf and how does she explain her position to him?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mma Ramotswe help Mma Malatsi? What problem does Mma Malatsi present her with? How does Mma Ramotswe begin to track down the answers to this mystery? What services does she employ to help her? What skills does Mma Ramotswe demonstrate that have nothing to do with her job as a detective? What methods might she have employed were those skills not available to her?
Essay Topic 3
Who does Mma Ramotswe call when her van breaks down? What is her fear and what does Matekoni assure her? What does Matekoni manage to accomplish? Which fear of Mma Ramotswe's does Matekoni manage to overcome? How does he do this, and what is the final outcome?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)