|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter arrives for Mma Ramotswe?
2. What does Mma Ramotswe study?
3. What does the cattle owner do?
4. What memory does she recall from her prior visit?
5. What is the distinction held by this firm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Precious take to open her detective agency?
2. What concerns do J.L.B. Matekoni and Mma Ramotswe share about the missing boy, believed to have been kidnapped?
3. How does Mma Ramotswe track down the truth about Peter Malatsi and what does she discover?
4. What is the outcome of Mma Ramotswe's attempts to follow Nandira?
5. What is the cause of Obed Ramotswe's death?
6. What happens when Mma Ramotswe suggests that Mr. Patel be less controlling?
7. What happens to Precious when she tells Note she is pregnant?
8. Who helped Precious on her road to education, and later provides a place for her to stay when she leaves home after her schooling is complete?
9. Why does the young boy get into the truck with two strangers?
10. What concerns does Paliwalar have that prompt him to contact Mma Ramotswe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni find that preoccupies him? What does Mma Ramotswe wonder if he is thinking about? In reality, what is causing him such distraction? How did Matekoni come across the object he shows Mma Ramotswe? What are the contents and why are they so disturbing? Who owns the van that it is found in?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mma Ramotswe help Mma Malatsi? What problem does Mma Malatsi present her with? How does Mma Ramotswe begin to track down the answers to this mystery? What services does she employ to help her? What skills does Mma Ramotswe demonstrate that have nothing to do with her job as a detective? What methods might she have employed were those skills not available to her?
Essay Topic 3
What exactly is a red herring where writing is concerned? What is the red herring in this novel? When is it introduced? What is the purpose of a red herring in a story? What other reasons might an author have for including one? How might that mystery have been resolved had it not been a red herring?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)