|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James Thoday identify Jeff Deacon when he finds Deacon's corpse in the church belfry?
2. What role does Bunter have while waiting out the flood in the church?
3. For what does Will Thoday initially mistake Jeff Deacon upon discovering him in the church?
4. What brings Lord Peter and Bunter back to Fenchurch St. Paul a year after Deacon's murder?
5. What does Nobby Cranton leave behind in the belfry when he flees it after finding Jeff Deacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of the mystery of Jeff Deacon's death is Lord Peter still unable to solve one year after first becoming involved in the puzzle?
2. How does Mary Thoday react when Lord Peter shows her the cipher, and what does her reaction indicate?
3. What makes Lord Peter and the police think that Arthur Cobbleigh and Jean Legros are the same man?
4. How does Lady Wilbraham respond when her stolen emeralds are found?
5. What is Jeff Deacon's tie to Arthur Cobbleigh?
6. Why does Bunter get upset with Emily over the beer bottle found in the vestry?
7. How does Lord Peter find the stolen emeralds?
8. Who mutilates Deacon's body after his death and for what reason is the corpse mutilated?
9. What brings Lord Peter back to Fenchurch St. Paul one year after he abandons the mystery of Jeff Deacon's murder?
10. How does Lord Peter solve the mystery of Deacon's death and what does the cause of Deacon's death turn out to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the book and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 2
Select at least three chapters from the novel. Discuss how the titles of the chapters relate to the plots, themes and characters in each chapter. Do any of the titles seem to have more than one possible meaning? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how she depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)