|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Will Thoday realizes the body in Lady Thorpe's grave is Jeff Deacon's, why doesn't he tell anyone?
2. What is the only area of Fenchurch St. Paul not covered in water?
3. To where does Reverend Venables send the parish registers and all the church valuables to protect them from the flood?
4. One year after Deacon's murder, how much deeper is the River Wale due to a rainy season?
5. What role does Bunter have while waiting out the flood in the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who mutilates Deacon's body after his death and for what reason is the corpse mutilated?
2. Why does Will Thoday initially believe Deacon has returned to Fenchurch St. Paul and what is the actual reason Deacon has returned?
3. How does Lord Peter find the stolen emeralds?
4. To whom does Lady Wilbraham leave her money when she dies and for what is she trying to atone in how she bequeaths her wealth?
5. What is Jeff Deacon's tie to Arthur Cobbleigh?
6. How does Will Thoday die, and how does his death redeem his character?
7. How does Lady Wilbraham respond when her stolen emeralds are found?
8. How does Suzanne Legros react when she is sent a photograph of Arthur Cobbleigh?
9. What aspect of the mystery of Jeff Deacon's death is Lord Peter still unable to solve one year after first becoming involved in the puzzle?
10. What brings Lord Peter back to Fenchurch St. Paul one year after he abandons the mystery of Jeff Deacon's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how she depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the detective characters in the story: Lord Peter Wimsey, Superintendent Blundell and Chief Inspector Parker. How do the techniques of Lord Peter, the amateur, compare with those of the professionals? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Several people in The Nine Tailors turn out not to be who or what they initially seem. Discuss the novel's motif of hidden identities and public masques. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)