|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Fenchurch St. Paul farmer still cures his own bacon?
2. What does Reverend Venables ask his parishioners to bring to the church in baskets during the flood?
3. What does James Thoday rent and use to give himself an alibi in the murder of Jeff Deacon?
4. Why does Emily, the Rectory maid, threaten to quit?
5. What name is on Jean Legros's identity discs when they're found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will Thoday initially believe Deacon has returned to Fenchurch St. Paul and what is the actual reason Deacon has returned?
2. What brings Lord Peter back to Fenchurch St. Paul one year after he abandons the mystery of Jeff Deacon's murder?
3. How does Will Thoday die, and how does his death redeem his character?
4. How does Lord Peter find the stolen emeralds?
5. What aspect of the mystery of Jeff Deacon's death is Lord Peter still unable to solve one year after first becoming involved in the puzzle?
6. To whom does Lady Wilbraham leave her money when she dies and for what is she trying to atone in how she bequeaths her wealth?
7. Who mutilates Deacon's body after his death and for what reason is the corpse mutilated?
8. What account of Deacon's death does Cranton give when charged with Deacon's murder?
9. What is Jeff Deacon's tie to Arthur Cobbleigh?
10. How does Mary Thoday react when Lord Peter shows her the cipher, and what does her reaction indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the novel: Bunter, Jeff Deacon and Emily. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Each chapter in The Nine Tailors begins with an epigraph. Discuss the author's technique of using epigraphs to introduce her chapters. How do the epigraphs relate to the chapters they introduce? What do you think Dorothy L. Sayers intends to convey or accomplish through this technique? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in The Nine Tailors. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)