|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Gates?
2. At what event was Mrs. Wilbraham's emerald necklace stolen?
3. How many children does Suzanne Legros have?
4. In what year was Tailor Paul made?
5. In what room at the Rectory does Lord Peter study the French underclothing found on the dead stranger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hilary Thorpe and what does she find in the bell-chamber while helping in the church?
2. Who is Potty Peake and how reliable is his testimony considered?
3. How well does Hilary Thorpe get along with her Uncle Edward?
4. How does Reverend Venables help Lord Peter solve the cipher?
5. What is known about the manner of the death of the unknown male corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave?
6. What similarities are there between Hilary Thorpe and Lord Peter?
7. What unique narrative techniques does Dorothy L. Sayers use in The Nine Tailors?
8. How does Suzanne Legros meet her husband Jean Legros and what lies do she and Jean tell about Jean's history?
9. What clue does Jeff Deacon give Nobby Cranton about the location of the stolen emeralds and how does Cranton initially interpret the clue?
10. Why is the unknown man's corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave suspected of being Nobby Cranton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the novel: Bunter, Jeff Deacon and Emily. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how she depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the antagonists Lord Peter encounters in the novel: Will Thoday, James Thoday, Jeff Deacon and Nobby Cranton.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)