|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Venables think the dead man is married?
2. How does Nobby Cranton respond when Lord Peter shows him the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry?
3. During the funeral for the dead stranger, about what is Lord Peter puzzling?
4. Which bell at Fenchurch St. Paul is said to have killed two men?
5. How old is Hilary Thorpe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Gates unhappy with Mrs. Coppins over a wreath?
2. How does a letter for Paul Taylor eliminate Cranton as the corpse from Lady Thorpe's grave?
3. What educational and career plans does Hilary Thorpe express to her father before he dies?
4. Why is the unknown man's corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave suspected of being Nobby Cranton?
5. Why does Nobby Cranton return to Fenchurch St. Paul after his release from prison?
6. During the funeral for the unidentified male corpse from Lady Thorpe's grave, what questions does Lord Peter ask himself about the corpse's death?
7. What reason does Jean Legros give his wife for his return to England?
8. What is the relationship between Lord Peter and Bunter?
9. What similarities are there between Hilary Thorpe and Lord Peter?
10. Who is Superintendent Blundell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of religion and ritual in The Nine Tailors. What do you think the author is trying to say about religion in English society through this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Each chapter in The Nine Tailors begins with an epigraph. Discuss the author's technique of using epigraphs to introduce her chapters. How do the epigraphs relate to the chapters they introduce? What do you think Dorothy L. Sayers intends to convey or accomplish through this technique? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in The Nine Tailors. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)