|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the sluice gates break, who loses his life trying to save another man swept into the river?
(a) James Thoday.
(b) Will Thoday.
(c) Potty Peake.
(d) Hezekiah Lavender.
2. From where does Potty Peake observe Will Thoday's interactions with Jeff Deacon in the church belfry?
(a) From behind Abbot Thomas' tomb.
(b) From the ladder leading up to the belfry.
(c) From the church choir loft.
(d) From the church rooftop.
3. One year after Deacon's murder, how much deeper is the River Wale due to a rainy season?
(a) Twelve feet deeper.
(b) Nine feet deeper.
(c) Eight inches deeper.
(d) Two feet deeper.
4. To what other Fenchurch St. Paul parishioner is Emily related?
(a) Mrs. Venables.
(b) Mrs. Wilbraham.
(c) Mary Thoday.
(d) Mrs. Gates.
5. What flies out of the hiding place in the roof along with the emeralds?
(a) A bat.
(b) A wasp.
(c) A robin.
(d) A hornet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Wilbraham designate as Hilary Thorpe's trustee in handling the affairs of her estate?
2. What is the legend of the Fenchurch St. Paul bells?
3. What brings Lord Peter and Bunter back to Fenchurch St. Paul a year after Deacon's murder?
4. What does Lord Peter reveal as the cause of Jeff Deacon's death?
5. How long do the villagers of Fenchurch St. Paul live in the church and Rectory before the waters recede?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will Thoday die, and how does his death redeem his character?
2. What is Jeff Deacon's tie to Arthur Cobbleigh?
3. What surprising news is revealed about Deacon's murder when James and Will Thoday are left alone in a room with a hidden microphone?
4. Who mutilates Deacon's body after his death and for what reason is the corpse mutilated?
5. What makes Lord Peter and the police think that Arthur Cobbleigh and Jean Legros are the same man?
6. Why does Will Thoday take a large sum of money out of the bank and then redeposit it?
7. Why do Will and Mary Thoday have to remarry each other?
8. Why does Will Thoday initially believe Deacon has returned to Fenchurch St. Paul and what is the actual reason Deacon has returned?
9. How does Mary Thoday react when Lord Peter shows her the cipher, and what does her reaction indicate?
10. Discuss the religious symbolism in the flood of Fenchurch St. Paul and the villagers' experience in the church during the flood.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)