|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jeff Deacon tells Will Thoday he's come back to Fenchurch for money, what does Will think Deacon means?
(a) That Deacon's come to blackmail Mary.
(b) That Deacon plans to rob again.
(c) That Deacon wants to blackmail him.
(d) That Deacon has come to retrieve the emeralds.
2. Why do Mary Thoday and Will Thoday leave town?
(a) To remarry when they learn their union isn't legal.
(b) To flee arrest for the theft of the emeralds.
(c) They fear Nobby Cranton will murder them.
(d) To dispose of the stolen emeralds.
3. What is the first thing Reverend Venables does once Lord Peter tells him the sluice gates are collapsing?
(a) He solicits volunteers to help strengthen the gates.
(b) He rings an alarm on the church bells.
(c) He stores food and blankets in the church.
(d) He organizes beds in the church for the parishioners.
4. What does Lord Peter organize while waiting out the flood in the church?
(a) Washing and drying of dishes.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Making tea.
(d) Games and drills for the children.
5. Whose handwriting do the officials at Maidstone Gaol decide is on the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry?
(a) Mrs. Wilbraham's.
(c) Jeff Deacon's.
(d) Nobby Cranton's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the police initially charge with the murder of Jean Legros?
2. What flies out of the hiding place in the roof along with the emeralds?
3. What does Emily do to the object from which Lord Peter hopes to get fingerprints?
4. In what name does Nobby Cranton have fake travel papers issued for Jeff Deacon for Deacon's journey to England?
5. To what other Fenchurch St. Paul parishioner is Emily related?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bunter get upset with Emily over the beer bottle found in the vestry?
2. How does Suzanne Legros react when she is sent a photograph of Arthur Cobbleigh?
3. What makes Lord Peter and the police think that Arthur Cobbleigh and Jean Legros are the same man?
4. How does Mary Thoday react when Lord Peter shows her the cipher, and what does her reaction indicate?
5. What account of Deacon's death does Cranton give when charged with Deacon's murder?
6. Why does Will Thoday take a large sum of money out of the bank and then redeposit it?
7. To whom does Lady Wilbraham leave her money when she dies and for what is she trying to atone in how she bequeaths her wealth?
8. How does Will Thoday die, and how does his death redeem his character?
9. How does Lord Peter solve the mystery of Deacon's death and what does the cause of Deacon's death turn out to be?
10. How does Lord Peter find the stolen emeralds?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)