|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wilbraham do once her necklace is returned to her?
(a) Demands the arrest of Stephen Driver.
(b) Has the emeralds made into earrings and a bracelet.
(c) Sells the emeralds for quick cash.
(d) Repays the money the Thorpes paid her.
2. How does James Thoday identify Jeff Deacon when he finds Deacon's corpse in the church belfry?
(a) By Deacon's mustache.
(b) By Deacon's blue eyes and prominent eyebrows.
(c) By the large scar on Deacon's hand.
(d) By Deacon's large nose and crooked teeth.
3. Who do the police initially charge with the murder of Jean Legros?
(a) Mrs. Wilbraham.
(b) Mary Thoday.
(c) James Thoday.
(d) Nobby Cranton.
4. How is Will Thoday planning to get Jeff Deacon out of town until he becomes too ill with the flu to carry out his plan?
(a) By putting Deacon on a Dutch cargo boat.
(b) By bribing Deacon to leave.
(c) By knocking Deacon unconscious and driving him far away.
(d) By having Deacon kidnapped.
5. What does the proverb "Nine Tailors make a man" mean in Fenchurch St. Paul?
(a) That the rector must change every nine years.
(b) That it takes nine tailors to make a suit of clothes.
(c) That Tailor Paul is rung nine times when a parishioner dies.
(d) That there are nine bells in the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nobby Cranton leave behind in the belfry when he flees it after finding Jeff Deacon?
2. What name is on Jean Legros's identity discs when they're found?
3. How long do the villagers of Fenchurch St. Paul live in the church and Rectory before the waters recede?
4. From where does Potty Peake observe Will Thoday's interactions with Jeff Deacon in the church belfry?
5. What is the first thing Reverend Venables does once Lord Peter tells him the sluice gates are collapsing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will Thoday take a large sum of money out of the bank and then redeposit it?
2. Who mutilates Deacon's body after his death and for what reason is the corpse mutilated?
3. How does Lord Peter solve the mystery of Deacon's death and what does the cause of Deacon's death turn out to be?
4. What account of Deacon's death does Cranton give when charged with Deacon's murder?
5. Why does Will Thoday initially believe Deacon has returned to Fenchurch St. Paul and what is the actual reason Deacon has returned?
6. Discuss the religious symbolism in the flood of Fenchurch St. Paul and the villagers' experience in the church during the flood.
7. How does Lady Wilbraham respond when her stolen emeralds are found?
8. How does Will Thoday die, and how does his death redeem his character?
9. To whom does Lady Wilbraham leave her money when she dies and for what is she trying to atone in how she bequeaths her wealth?
10. How does Suzanne Legros react when she is sent a photograph of Arthur Cobbleigh?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)