|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the bell ringing ceremony, what news does the Reverend Venables receive about Lady Thorpe?
(a) She is going to give the church a large donation.
(b) She is dying of influenza.
(c) She has fallen and broken her hip.
(d) She is in a coma after a car accident.
2. At the inquest concerning the stranger's corpse found by Mr. Gotobed, what does Dr. Baines say about the blows to the dead man's skull?
(a) He believes they all occurred after death.
(b) He believes they were caused by a baseball bat.
(c) He believes they were caused by a fireplace poker.
(d) He believes they caused the man's death.
3. Who besides Mr. Gotobed has keys to the coke-house in which Mr. Gotobed the church sexton keeps his gravedigging tools?
(a) Will Thoday.
(b) Mrs. Gates.
(d) Reverend Venables.
4. At what event was Mrs. Wilbraham's emerald necklace stolen?
(a) At Sir Henry and Lady Thorpe's wedding.
(b) At Hilary Thorpe's baptism.
(c) At Lord Peter's Christmas Ball.
(d) At the church's New Year's Eve change-ringing ceremony.
5. Who is the first character introduced in the novel?
(a) Lord Peter Wimsey.
(c) Reverend Venables.
(d) Will Thoday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Mrs. Venables serve Lord Peter and Bunter when she first meets them?
2. What is unusual about the underclothing found on the dead man's body?
3. Who is Emily?
4. In the first chapter of the book, where does Reverend Venables suggest that Lord Peter and Bunter spend the night?
5. What is Bunter's relationship to Lord Peter Wimsey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Superintendent Blundell?
2. What reason does Jean Legros give his wife for his return to England?
3. Who is Potty Peake and how reliable is his testimony considered?
4. During the funeral for the unidentified male corpse from Lady Thorpe's grave, what questions does Lord Peter ask himself about the corpse's death?
5. With what important ceremony does Reverend Venables hope to bring in the new year at Fenchurch St. Paul and how does Lord Peter Wimsey assist in the ceremony?
6. In what ways is Mrs. Venables a foil to the character of her husband, Reverend Venables?
7. How does Jeff Deacon double-cross Nobby Cranton during the jewel heist?
8. Why is the unknown man's corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave suspected of being Nobby Cranton?
9. Who does Potty Peake's claim to have seen in the church with Legros, and what does his claim imply and how reliable is it considered?
10. What does Lord Peter fish out of the churchyard well and how do these items relate to the murder of the unidentified corpse?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)