|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the letter to the dead man eliminate as the corpse?
(a) Jeff Deacon.
(b) Potty Peake.
(c) Nobby Cranton.
(d) Sir Henry.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the status of Suzanne Legros at the end of the war in 1918?
(a) She is married and living in Paris.
(b) Her father, brother, and fiance have died in the war.
(c) She is single-handedly running the farm.
(d) She is twenty-seven and living on her grandfather's farm.
3. Who interviews Mrs. Gates?
(a) Lord Peter.
(b) Superintendent Blundell.
(c) Reverend Venables.
4. What is in the brown jug provided by the Red Cow for the bell ringers during their ceremony?
5. How does Suzanne Legros meet her husband?
(a) She meets him at a dance.
(b) She finds him wounded and unconscious on her farm.
(c) She meets him while nursing wounded soldiers in the war.
(d) She meets him at a friend's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does the sluice-keeper complain when Lord Peter and Bunter drive past the sluice gates?
2. While talking with Lord Peter after the stranger's funeral, who does Hilary Thorpe suggest might know when her mother's grave was disturbed?
3. Who does Mrs. Gates accuse of moving her wreath from Lady Thorpe's grave?
4. In what room at the Rectory does Lord Peter study the French underclothing found on the dead stranger?
5. Why does Reverend Venables seek Lord Peter's help and advice regarding the stranger's corpse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Potty Peake's claim to have seen in the church with Legros, and what does his claim imply and how reliable is it considered?
2. What effect does World War I have on the Legros farm in France?
3. What educational and career plans does Hilary Thorpe express to her father before he dies?
4. What does Mrs. Venables deduce about the mysterious male corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave when she sees his French underclothes?
5. Who is Hilary Thorpe and what does she find in the bell-chamber while helping in the church?
6. Why is Lady Thorpe's grave reopened and what do Harry Gotobed and his son find inside the grave when they reopen it?
7. Why is Batty Thomas considered an unlucky bell?
8. How does Jeff Deacon double-cross Nobby Cranton during the jewel heist?
9. Why do Superintendent Blundell and Lord Peter suspect that the Thoday brothers may have been involved in the death of Jean Legros?
10. What similarities are there between Hilary Thorpe and Lord Peter?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)