|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Hilary Thorpe's hair?
2. What color is the stamp on the letter that Bunter is given at the post office when he pretends to be the dead man?
3. What do the numbers written on the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry turn out to be?
(a) A list of monetary donations to the church.
(b) A coded Bible verse.
(c) A student's math homework.
(d) Amounts withdrawn from Mrs. Wilbraham's bank account.
4. Why is Mrs. Gates unhappy with the wreath Mrs. Coppins sends for Lady Thorpe's funeral?
(a) She thinks the wreath is too small and cheap.
(b) She thinks the wreath is too large and ostentatious.
(c) She doesn't like artificial wreaths and prefers real ones.
(d) She thinks Mrs. Coppins has no right to send a wreath at all.
5. Who finds a strange man's corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) Reverend Venables.
(b) Harry Gotobed, the church sexton, and his son.
(c) Lord Peter.
(d) The undertaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship of Jeff Deacon, the accused thief of the emeralds, to the Thorpe family?
2. What is James Thoday's profession?
3. At the inquest concerning the stranger's corpse found by Mr. Gotobed, what does Dr. Baines say about the blows to the dead man's skull?
4. Who is the first character introduced in the novel?
5. In what room at the Rectory does Lord Peter study the French underclothing found on the dead stranger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unique narrative techniques does Dorothy L. Sayers use in The Nine Tailors?
2. What similarities are there between Hilary Thorpe and Lord Peter?
3. Why is Lady Thorpe's grave reopened and what do Harry Gotobed and his son find inside the grave when they reopen it?
4. What does Hilary Thorpe send Lord Peter via the mail, and how does Lord Peter think the document fits into the mystery of Jean Legros?
5. What does the sluice-keeper complain about in the chapter entitled "Tailor Paul is Called Before With a Single," and what does his complaint foreshadow?
6. How does Nobby Cranton react when Lord Peter shows him the cipher written on French paper and what does his reaction indicate?
7. Why does Lord Peter end up going to France to make inquiries about Paul Taylor instead of Superintendent Blundell or the Chief Constable?
8. What is the interior of Fenchurch St. Paul like?
9. How does Reverend Venables help Lord Peter solve the cipher?
10. What does Lord Peter fish out of the churchyard well and how do these items relate to the murder of the unidentified corpse?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)