|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Superintendent Blundell suspect James Thoday might know something about the murder of the man found in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) James hellps bury people in the parish.
(b) James has killed someone before.
(c) James is late returning to his ship after shore leave.
(d) James is familiar with the church graveyard.
2. How does Nobby Cranton try to disguise himself upon his return to Fenchurch St. Paul?
(a) By growing a beard.
(b) By wearing a wig, glasses, and a fake mustache.
(c) By dressing like a woman.
(d) By dying his hair blonde.
3. What is Bunter's relationship to Lord Peter Wimsey?
(a) He's Lord Peter's butler.
(b) He's Lord Peter's cousin.
(c) He's Lord Peter's neighbor.
(d) He's Lord Peter's friend.
4. What is Mr. Ashton's profession?
(a) He's a farmer.
(b) He's an artist.
(c) He's a musician.
(d) He's a soldier.
5. Who besides Mr. Gotobed has keys to the coke-house in which Mr. Gotobed the church sexton keeps his gravedigging tools?
(a) Reverend Venables.
(b) Mrs. Gates.
(c) Will Thoday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does M. Rozier want Lord Peter to dine with him at his home?
2. Which of the following is not an event from Jeff Deacon's life once Deacon is found guilty of stealing the emeralds?
3. Why is Mrs. Gates unhappy with the wreath Mrs. Coppins sends for Lady Thorpe's funeral?
4. With what London jewel thief does Jeff Deacon steal Mrs. Wilbraham's emeralds?
5. While talking with Lord Peter after the stranger's funeral, who does Hilary Thorpe suggest might know when her mother's grave was disturbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarities are there between Hilary Thorpe and Lord Peter?
2. What is known about the manner of the death of the unknown male corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave?
3. How does Suzanne Legros meet her husband Jean Legros and what lies do she and Jean tell about Jean's history?
4. How does the pseudonym of Paul Taylor for the French letter's recipient reinforce the motif of the church bells?
5. In what suspicious behavior does Will Thoday engage around New Year's, the time of the murder?
6. In what ways is Mrs. Venables a foil to the character of her husband, Reverend Venables?
7. What is the Fens, the novel's setting, like?
8. Who is Hilary Thorpe and what does she find in the bell-chamber while helping in the church?
9. How does Nobby Cranton react when Lord Peter shows him the cipher written on French paper and what does his reaction indicate?
10. What does Lord Peter fish out of the churchyard well and how do these items relate to the murder of the unidentified corpse?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)