|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mary Thoday and Will Thoday leave town?
(a) To dispose of the stolen emeralds.
(b) To remarry when they learn their union isn't legal.
(c) To flee arrest for the theft of the emeralds.
(d) They fear Nobby Cranton will murder them.
2. Who does Mrs. Wilbraham designate as Hilary Thorpe's trustee in handling the affairs of her estate?
(b) Mrs. Venables.
(c) Lord Peter.
(d) Mrs. Gates.
3. What does Mrs. Wilbraham do once her necklace is returned to her?
(a) Has the emeralds made into earrings and a bracelet.
(b) Sells the emeralds for quick cash.
(c) Repays the money the Thorpes paid her.
(d) Demands the arrest of Stephen Driver.
4. Who does Jean Legros turn out to be?
(a) Jeff Deacon.
(b) Stephen Driver.
(c) Nobby Cranton.
(d) Arthur Cobbleigh.
5. Why does Emily, the Rectory maid, threaten to quit?
(a) She thinks the Venables want her to work too many hours.
(b) She thinks she's getting paid a less than fair wage.
(c) Bunter yells at her.
(d) She doesn't like Lord Peter staying at the Rectory.
6. Where does Lord Peter decide that the missing emeralds must be hidden?
(a) Between the cherubims in the church roof.
(b) In the church in Reverend Venables' office.
(c) In a church bathroom.
(d) In the church venting system.
7. What does Lord Peter have for dinner on Christmas Eve at the Rectory?
(a) Roast turkey and mashed potatoes.
(b) Cold cuts and baked beans.
(c) Cold roast beef and trifle.
(d) Baked ham and sweet potatoes.
8. What church service do Will and Mary Thoday miss?
(a) The early service with Holy Communion.
(b) The Easter Sunday service.
(c) A baptismal service.
(d) New Year's Eve service.
9. What do the Fenchurch St. Paul newspapers say about the discovery of the missing Wilbraham emeralds?
(a) That Hilary Thorpe has inherited them.
(b) That Scotland Yard has found them.
(c) That Mary Thoday is the thief.
(d) Nothing, the story is kept out of the papers.
10. What does Emily do to the object from which Lord Peter hopes to get fingerprints?
(a) She dusts it, obliterating any potential prints.
(b) She gives it to a traveling salesman.
(c) She washes it, cleaning all the fingerprints off it.
(d) She drops it and breaks it.
11. Who buys Mary Thoday a parrot?
(a) James Thoday.
(b) Nobby Cranton.
(c) Will Thoday.
12. Who is able to give Potty Peake an alibi for the day of Jeff Deacon's murder?
(a) Potty's aged aunt.
(b) Mary Thoday.
(c) Reverend Venables.
(d) James Thoday.
13. What is the first thing Reverend Venables does once Lord Peter tells him the sluice gates are collapsing?
(a) He stores food and blankets in the church.
(b) He solicits volunteers to help strengthen the gates.
(c) He rings an alarm on the church bells.
(d) He organizes beds in the church for the parishioners.
14. What does Lord Peter organize while waiting out the flood in the church?
(a) Games and drills for the children.
(b) Making tea.
(c) Washing and drying of dishes.
(d) Baking bread.
15. To where does Reverend Venables send the parish registers and all the church valuables to protect them from the flood?
(a) The church basement.
(b) The chuch roof.
(c) The Rectory attic.
(d) The top of the church bell tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Reverend Venables' keys while Jeff Deacon is hidden in the bell chamber?
2. Which Fenchurch St. Paul farmer still cures his own bacon?
3. Who provides Jeff Deacon with food while he's imprisoned in the church bellchamber?
4. Who do the police initially charge with the murder of Jean Legros?
5. How do the police try to get Will and James Thoday to confess to Jeff Deacon's murder?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)