|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Wilbraham dies, what is clasped in her hand?
(a) A bottle of sleeping pills.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) Her emeralds.
(d) A photo of her late husband.
2. In France, why does Jeff Deacon pretend he's lost his ability to speak?
(a) He has a lisp and is embarrassed by it.
(b) He speaks French with a British accent.
(c) He doesn't want anyone to question him about his past.
(d) He doesn't want anyone to find out he's German.
3. What food does Will Thoday take to Jeff Deacon while he imprisons Deacon in the church belfry?
(a) Pizza and cola.
(b) Eggs and Bacon.
(c) Fried chicken and biscuits.
(d) Bread and cheese and beer.
4. What kind of car does Lord Peter drive?
(a) A Range Rover.
(b) A Ford.
(c) A Daimler.
(d) A Toyota.
5. Who buys Mary Thoday a parrot?
(a) Will Thoday.
(b) Nobby Cranton.
(c) James Thoday.
6. What is the first thing Reverend Venables does once Lord Peter tells him the sluice gates are collapsing?
(a) He rings an alarm on the church bells.
(b) He stores food and blankets in the church.
(c) He organizes beds in the church for the parishioners.
(d) He solicits volunteers to help strengthen the gates.
7. Who does Mrs. Wilbraham designate as Hilary Thorpe's trustee in handling the affairs of her estate?
(a) Lord Peter.
(b) Mrs. Venables.
(c) Mrs. Gates.
8. What does Nobby Cranton leave behind in the belfry when he flees it after finding Jeff Deacon?
(a) His cigarette lighter.
(b) Deacon's cipher.
(c) His handkerchief.
(d) His belt buckle.
9. How is Will Thoday planning to get Jeff Deacon out of town until he becomes too ill with the flu to carry out his plan?
(a) By knocking Deacon unconscious and driving him far away.
(b) By bribing Deacon to leave.
(c) By having Deacon kidnapped.
(d) By putting Deacon on a Dutch cargo boat.
10. To where does Reverend Venables send the parish registers and all the church valuables to protect them from the flood?
(a) The church basement.
(b) The Rectory attic.
(c) The chuch roof.
(d) The top of the church bell tower.
11. What are the emeralds wrapped in when they're discovered?
(a) An old newspaper.
(c) Blue silk.
(d) Brown paper.
12. What does Lord Peter have for dinner on Christmas Eve at the Rectory?
(a) Baked ham and sweet potatoes.
(b) Roast turkey and mashed potatoes.
(c) Cold roast beef and trifle.
(d) Cold cuts and baked beans.
13. When Will Thoday realizes the body in Lady Thorpe's grave is Jeff Deacon's, why doesn't he tell anyone?
(a) Everyone would realize Will isn't legally married.
(b) He fears people would suspect him of the crime.
(c) He is glad Deacon is dead.
(d) He suspects his wife has killed Deacon.
14. What does James Thoday rent and use to give himself an alibi in the murder of Jeff Deacon?
(a) A motorbike.
(b) A hall for a party.
(c) A computer.
(d) A car.
15. What does Lord Peter reveal as the cause of Jeff Deacon's death?
(c) A brain hemorrhage caused by a blow to the head.
(d) The decibels of the bells during the New Year peal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Arthur Cobbleigh?
2. Who is on the top of the bell-chamber ladder, able to witness James Thoday's removal of Deacon's body from the church?
3. When Jeff Deacon tells Will Thoday he's come back to Fenchurch for money, what does Will think Deacon means?
4. One year after Deacon's murder, how much deeper is the River Wale due to a rainy season?
5. Who is Samuel Snell?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)