|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the stamp on the letter that Bunter is given at the post office when he pretends to be the dead man?
2. How does Suzanne Legros meet her husband?
(a) She finds him wounded and unconscious on her farm.
(b) She meets him at a friend's wedding.
(c) She meets him while nursing wounded soldiers in the war.
(d) She meets him at a dance.
3. Why does Reverend Venables seek Lord Peter's help and advice regarding the stranger's corpse?
(a) Lord Peter is known for his discretion.
(b) Lord Peter is known for his amateur sleuthing.
(c) Lord Peter is visiting.
(d) Lord Peter is a policeman by profession.
4. How old is Hilary Thorpe?
5. Who figures out the meaning of what is written on the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry?
(a) Potty Peake.
(b) Reverend Venables.
(c) Hilary Thorpe.
(d) Mrs. Gates.
6. To where do Lord Peter and Bunter drive in search of mail the dead man found in Lady Thorpe's grave may have received?
(d) Leamholt and Walbeach.
7. Who is Stephen Driver?
(a) The village veterinarian.
(b) A church deacon.
(c) Lady Thorpe's physician.
(d) A stranger who recently asked Mr. Wilderspin for a job.
8. Who does the Morning Star reporter want to interview after the stranger's funeral?
(a) Hezekiah Lavender.
(b) Lord Peter.
(c) Reverend Venables.
(d) Superintendent Blundell.
9. Which church bell is missing a rope after the murder, a rope likely used to tie up the murder victim prior to his death?
(a) Tailor Paul.
(b) Batty Thomas.
10. How does Reverend Venables help his parishioners pay their tithes?
(a) He advises them on investments to help them prosper.
(b) He loans them money to do so.
(c) He serves as pastor for free so the church has more money.
(d) He gives them jobs to earn money to use to tithe.
11. With what London jewel thief does Jeff Deacon steal Mrs. Wilbraham's emeralds?
(a) Nobby Cranton.
(b) Carl Jonas.
(c) Stephen Redmond.
(d) Jebediah Pratt.
12. What decorative aspect of the church's roof impresses Lord Peter when he first glimpses it?
(a) The flowers and ivy growing around the edges of the roof.
(b) The beautiful stained glass.
(c) The giant gilt cross.
(d) Golden statues of cherubim and seraphim.
13. What is the weather like in the opening chapter of the book?
(a) It's snowing.
(b) It's raining.
(c) It's foggy.
(d) It's hot.
14. What is Mrs. Wilbraham's relationship with the Thorpe family?
(a) She's their landlord.
(b) She's Mrs. Thorpe's sister.
(c) She's one of their cousins.
(d) She's their next door neighbor.
15. What is unusual about the condition of the hands of the corpse found in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) They have been painted.
(b) They have been severed.
(c) They have been covered in wax.
(d) They have been tattooed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room at the Rectory does Lord Peter study the French underclothing found on the dead stranger?
2. What does the letter to the mysterious dead man concern?
3. What book has Lord Peter written that Reverend Venables immediately associates with Lord Peter's name because he has read the book?
4. What does Potty Peak claim to have witnessed happening to Legros in the church?
5. How many bell ringers does Fenchurch St. Paul have?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)