|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the numbers written on the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry turn out to be?
(a) A student's math homework.
(b) Amounts withdrawn from Mrs. Wilbraham's bank account.
(c) A coded Bible verse.
(d) A list of monetary donations to the church.
2. Who is Emily?
(a) The Venables' daughter.
(b) Bunter's girlfriend.
(c) Lord Peter's girlfriend.
(d) The Venables' maid.
3. What is Mr. Wilderspin's first name?
4. Why does Reverend Venables seek Lord Peter's help and advice regarding the stranger's corpse?
(a) Lord Peter is visiting.
(b) Lord Peter is a policeman by profession.
(c) Lord Peter is known for his discretion.
(d) Lord Peter is known for his amateur sleuthing.
5. Who does the Morning Star reporter want to interview after the stranger's funeral?
(a) Lord Peter.
(b) Superintendent Blundell.
(c) Hezekiah Lavender.
(d) Reverend Venables.
6. What bell is rung at Fenchurch St. Paul when people in the parish die?
(a) Tailor Paul.
7. Why is Mrs. Gates unhappy with the wreath Mrs. Coppins sends for Lady Thorpe's funeral?
(a) She thinks Mrs. Coppins has no right to send a wreath at all.
(b) She thinks the wreath is too large and ostentatious.
(c) She thinks the wreath is too small and cheap.
(d) She doesn't like artificial wreaths and prefers real ones.
8. Which of the following is not an event from Jeff Deacon's life once Deacon is found guilty of stealing the emeralds?
(a) He is executed for the crime.
(b) He escapes from prison.
(c) A skeleton in a prison jumpsuit is assumed to be him.
(d) He kills a jail guard.
9. Why does Superintendent Blundell suspect James Thoday might know something about the murder of the man found in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) James has killed someone before.
(b) James is late returning to his ship after shore leave.
(c) James hellps bury people in the parish.
(d) James is familiar with the church graveyard.
10. Who is the first character introduced in the novel?
(a) Reverend Venables.
(b) Will Thoday.
(c) Lord Peter Wimsey.
11. Which bell at Fenchurch St. Paul is said to have killed two men?
(a) Batty Thomas.
12. What does Will Thoday do with the money he withdraws from the bank on New Year's Eve?
(a) He buys a gun.
(b) He buys a knife.
(c) He buys a train ticket to Italy.
(d) He returns it to the bank when Legros is killed.
13. Why doesn't Superintendent Blundell think Cranton is Legros' killer?
(a) Cranton has never killed before.
(b) He believes a woman is the killer.
(c) He believes Cranton has died in a prison break.
(d) He believes Cranton is too ill and near death to be a killer.
14. Where does Lord Peter go to visit Nobby Cranton?
(a) The police station.
(b) A prison.
(c) A mental institution.
(d) A hospital.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe the status of Suzanne Legros at the end of the war in 1918?
(a) She is married and living in Paris.
(b) She is twenty-seven and living on her grandfather's farm.
(c) Her father, brother, and fiance have died in the war.
(d) She is single-handedly running the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stamp's color indicate about the dead man's letter?
2. Who is Mrs. Gates?
3. What is the relationship of Jeff Deacon, the accused thief of the emeralds, to the Thorpe family?
4. In what name does Bunter expect to find mail for the dead man?
5. Why does Nobby Cranton think the stolen Wilbraham emeralds are somewhere in the town of Fenchurch St. Paul?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)