|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decorative aspect of the church's roof impresses Lord Peter when he first glimpses it?
(a) The giant gilt cross.
(b) Golden statues of cherubim and seraphim.
(c) The flowers and ivy growing around the edges of the roof.
(d) The beautiful stained glass.
2. Who besides Mr. Gotobed has keys to the coke-house in which Mr. Gotobed the church sexton keeps his gravedigging tools?
(a) Mrs. Gates.
(b) Will Thoday.
(c) Reverend Venables.
3. What happens to Lord Peter's car in the first chapter of the novel?
(a) Lord Peter wrecks it and gets it stuck in a ditch.
(b) Lord Peter has it painted a new color, red.
(c) It is entered in a race and Lord Peter wins.
(d) It is stolen.
4. How many bell ringers does Fenchurch St. Paul have?
5. What is Mr. Wilderspin's profession?
(a) He's a farmer.
(b) He's the village doctor.
(c) He's the village grocer.
(d) He's the village blacksmith and mechanic.
6. What name is the letter addressed to instead of the name Bunter expects?
(a) Theodore Venables.
(b) Quentin Rochester.
(c) Paul Taylor.
(d) Thomas Penn.
7. Who finds a strange man's corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) Reverend Venables.
(b) Harry Gotobed, the church sexton, and his son.
(c) The undertaker.
(d) Lord Peter.
8. The day after Lady Thorpe's funeral, where does Mrs. Gates find her wreath instead of on the grave where it was placed?
(a) In the garbage at the Rectory.
(b) On the mantel in the family's home.
(c) On the church altar for Sunday services.
(d) To the side of the grave.
9. What kind of money is found in the dead man's pocket?
(a) Italian lira.
(b) Counterfeit British pounds.
(c) Counterfeit American dollars.
(d) A French coin.
10. What food does Mrs. Venables serve Lord Peter and Bunter when she first meets them?
(a) Ham sandwiches.
(c) Cheese and crackers.
(d) Roast beef.
11. What flower does Hilary Thorpe take to Mrs. Venables for the church at Easter?
(a) Red tulips.
(b) White narcissi.
(c) Yellow irises.
(d) Blue morning glories.
12. Why does the Chief Constable send Lord Peter to France to investigate the dead man's letter instead of sending a policeman?
(a) They don't have enough evidence for a policeman to go.
(b) Lord Peter speaks fluent French and will pay his own way.
(c) Lord Peter is a member of the French police force.
(d) Lord Peter can work under cover more easily than a cop.
13. How much money does Will Thoday withdraw from the bank on New Year's Eve?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
14. Which of the following statements does not describe the status of Suzanne Legros at the end of the war in 1918?
(a) She is married and living in Paris.
(b) She is twenty-seven and living on her grandfather's farm.
(c) She is single-handedly running the farm.
(d) Her father, brother, and fiance have died in the war.
15. What does the person to whom Hilary Thorpe sends the French paper she finds in the church belfry think the writing on the paper is?
(a) A musical composition.
(b) A confession.
(c) A cipher.
(d) A love letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hilary Thorpe's Uncle Edward feel about Lord Peter's interest in sleuthing?
2. What flower grows in abundance in the Rectory garden at Easter?
3. Who does the letter to the dead man eliminate as the corpse?
4. What does the letter to the mysterious dead man concern?
5. What is Mr. Ashton's profession?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)