|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Reverend Venables' first name?
2. What flower grows in abundance in the Rectory garden at Easter?
3. What decorative aspect of the church's roof impresses Lord Peter when he first glimpses it?
(a) Golden statues of cherubim and seraphim.
(b) The beautiful stained glass.
(c) The giant gilt cross.
(d) The flowers and ivy growing around the edges of the roof.
4. How long has Jean Legros been missing when Suzanne writes him a letter and sends it to England to try to find him?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Four years.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Five months.
5. On what day of the year does the book open?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(c) The Fourth of July.
6. Why does M. Rozier want Lord Peter to dine with him at his home?
(a) So Lord Peter can sample authentic French cooking.
(b) So his wife can meet Lord Peter.
(c) So he can interrogate Lord Peter in a relaxed atmosphere.
(d) So he and Lord Peter can further discuss Jean Legros.
7. At the inquest concerning the stranger's corpse found by Mr. Gotobed, what does Dr. Baines say about the blows to the dead man's skull?
(a) He believes they caused the man's death.
(b) He believes they all occurred after death.
(c) He believes they were caused by a baseball bat.
(d) He believes they were caused by a fireplace poker.
8. Why can't Will Thoday ring his bell in the ceremony planned by Reverend Venables in the opening chapter of the book?
(a) He has broken his arm.
(b) He is out of town on holiday and therefore unavailable.
(c) He has influenza.
(d) He's been arrested for murder and is in jail.
9. To whom does Hilary Thorpe send the French paper she finds in the church belfry?
(a) Mrs. Venables.
(b) Emily, the Rectory maid.
(c) Lord Peter.
(d) Reverend Venables.
10. Why does Jean Legros tell Suzanne he is going to England?
(a) To straighten out some legal troubles.
(b) To dispose of some property and get money for the family.
(c) To divorce her.
(d) To visit a sick friend.
11. What name is the letter addressed to instead of the name Bunter expects?
(a) Quentin Rochester.
(b) Thomas Penn.
(c) Theodore Venables.
(d) Paul Taylor.
12. What is unusual about the condition of the hands of the corpse found in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) They have been severed.
(b) They have been covered in wax.
(c) They have been painted.
(d) They have been tattooed.
13. Who does Potty Peake claim to have seen talking in the church with Legros before the man's murder?
(a) James Thoday.
(b) Will Thoday.
(c) Jeff Deacon.
(d) Nobby Cranton.
14. Why does Superintendent Blundell suspect James Thoday might know something about the murder of the man found in Lady Thorpe's grave?
(a) James hellps bury people in the parish.
(b) James is familiar with the church graveyard.
(c) James is late returning to his ship after shore leave.
(d) James has killed someone before.
15. With what London jewel thief does Jeff Deacon steal Mrs. Wilbraham's emeralds?
(a) Jebediah Pratt.
(b) Nobby Cranton.
(c) Stephen Redmond.
(d) Carl Jonas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other paper does the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry match?
2. What color is Hilary Thorpe's hair?
3. What does Hilary Thorpe want to be when she grows up?
4. In the first chapter of the book, where does Reverend Venables suggest that Lord Peter and Bunter spend the night?
5. Who finds a strange man's corpse in Lady Thorpe's grave?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)