|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Potty Peake claim to have seen talking in the church with Legros before the man's murder?
(a) James Thoday.
(b) Jeff Deacon.
(c) Nobby Cranton.
(d) Will Thoday.
2. What is Reverend Venables' first name?
3. How does Mrs. Gates say the Thorpe family has always treated her?
(a) They've been critical and condescending to her.
(b) They've been cheap and haven't paid her well.
(c) Cruelly and unfairly.
(d) Like a member of the family.
4. How long has Jean Legros been missing when Suzanne writes him a letter and sends it to England to try to find him?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four years.
(d) Five months.
5. Which bell does Hezekiah Lavender ring?
(b) Batty Thomas.
(c) Tailor Paul.
6. In what year was Tailor Paul made?
7. How old is Hilary Thorpe?
8. What decorative aspect of the church's roof impresses Lord Peter when he first glimpses it?
(a) Golden statues of cherubim and seraphim.
(b) The beautiful stained glass.
(c) The giant gilt cross.
(d) The flowers and ivy growing around the edges of the roof.
9. What does Stephen Driver ask the Wilderspins about in addition to a job?
(a) The church parishioners.
(b) Batty Thomas and Tailor Paul.
(c) The stolen emeralds.
(d) Accomodations for the night.
10. What other paper does the French paper Hilary Thorpe finds in the church belfry match?
(a) The pages in Mary Thoday's diary.
(b) The paper on which Suzanne Legros writes her husband.
(c) Mrs. Wilbraham's personal stationery.
(d) Lady Thorpe's personal stationery.
11. What does Lord Peter do during World War I?
(a) He is a Peace Corps volunteer.
(b) He is a Red Cross volunteer.
(c) He is a conscientious objector.
(d) He serves in the military.
12. What do the injuries on the corpse's arms and ankles indicate to the doctor?
(a) That he was tied up before his death.
(b) That he was in a fight before his death.
(c) That he was bitten by snakes before his death.
(d) That he was burned before his death.
13. What happens to Lord Peter's car in the first chapter of the novel?
(a) It is entered in a race and Lord Peter wins.
(b) Lord Peter has it painted a new color, red.
(c) Lord Peter wrecks it and gets it stuck in a ditch.
(d) It is stolen.
14. To whom is Mary Thoday married when Mrs. Wilbraham's emeralds are stolen?
(a) To Jeff Deacon.
(b) To Nobby Cranton.
(c) To Potty Peakes.
(d) To Hezekiah Lavender.
15. Who is Emily?
(a) Bunter's girlfriend.
(b) Lord Peter's girlfriend.
(c) The Venables' maid.
(d) The Venables' daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the brown jug provided by the Red Cow for the bell ringers during their ceremony?
2. To where do Lord Peter and Bunter drive in search of mail the dead man found in Lady Thorpe's grave may have received?
3. At what event was Mrs. Wilbraham's emerald necklace stolen?
4. Which bell at Fenchurch St. Paul is considered unlucky?
5. With what London jewel thief does Jeff Deacon steal Mrs. Wilbraham's emeralds?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)